UBB.threads
Posted By: norg Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/18/2020 01:08 PM
Good day!
I would like any opinions about this dagger. Good or fake? Thank you.

Attached picture 746.jpg
Attached picture 748.jpg
Attached picture 750.jpg
Attached picture 752.jpg
Posted By: norg Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/18/2020 01:08 PM
more photos

Attached picture 753.jpg
Attached picture 754.jpg
Attached picture 755.jpg
Attached picture 756.jpg
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/18/2020 04:15 PM
Only made by Eickhorn
Posted By: norg Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/18/2020 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by lakesidetrader
Only made by Eickhorn

So this is fake?
Posted By: seany Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/18/2020 09:29 PM
Yes it is
Posted By: wotan Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/25/2020 07:33 PM
Hello gents, the fact that this dagger is -only- shown in the EICKHORN list does imho in no way say that only EICKHORN did produce this dagger. Unfortunately we do know VERY few about this dagger and its production.
BUT due to several details which I do not want to publish because of the faker crooks it is my personal opinion too that this dagger is a fake. At least certain parts of it, married with original army dagger parts.
Regards,
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/29/2020 07:59 PM
Likewise just some parts IMO, the topic a problematic one that has been discussed for years - aside from a catalog listing very little if any period information has surfaced for the purposes of corroboration. Best Regards, Fred
Posted By: ed773 Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/30/2020 11:49 AM
Why is it that a lot of daggers ( still today ) get put together with the blade reversed ???
Seems this would be a easy thing to research.
Ed
Posted By: wotan Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 06/30/2020 10:50 PM
Hello ed773, there is no rule where the mm has been put originally. I did get army daggers directly out of the family fom the former wearer and they did come both directions. Even more I am convinced that a lot of blades which had the mm originally at he front has been turned by overzealous "collectors" and dealers. I am personally sure that at the beginning the makers tried to place their mm at prominent place, therefore at the front. When it was noticed that the mm was covered mainly by the swaz most but not all started to put it on the reverse.
Just my observations, experience and opinion.
Regards,
Posted By: ed773 Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 07/01/2020 11:44 AM
Woton
Thanks for the info. I would think the original makers mew right off the MM was hid behind the guard. I mostly shy away from a dagger that can come apart easy.
We will never really know a lot about how things were done back then. I look at all the personalized daggers that appear the Officer scratched his initials with a nail. when all he had to do was walk to a jeweler and have it done right. I'll bet most jewelers in Germany and other countries would do it for free, or the outcome for them would not be good.
They made millions of blades, how could they all be the same. And YES, too many daggers have been taken apart, I have seen it done many times at shows I have bin at.
Take care, and thanks for the info
Ed
Posted By: wotan Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 07/01/2020 08:16 PM
Hello ed773, you are welcome! We have to keep in mind that not any monogram imho was done for free. If you do study period price lists you can see that eg. etching was calculate per letter. Engraving is a costly skill until now, mostly done by hand and by skilled men. The daggers itself were not cheap in regard of the income of the time. At these times there was the big economic crisis. I too own and have seen daggers with poorly done monograms, nevertheless these are individual signs and signs of the individual who once did own the dagger.
All the best to you, regards,
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: Railway Water Protection Dagger - 08/11/2020 02:38 PM
I will not say the dagger is good or bad, but I can say that the crossguard on this piece IS the proper one for this model dagger.
© Your new forums