UBB.threads
Posted By: michal199 rad hewer question - 01/12/2017 02:51 PM
hello
i'm in possesion of an attached RAD dagger,made by horster.genuine IMO.
i've acquired it for about 230$ because of it's condition.my question is about the way that i can remove the stains from the blade,crossguard and scabbard without making any damage to the hewer metal and the value.Can You give me some tips abut right cleaning(tools etc)?should i've do it at all?ar maybe better leave it like it is?
best regards

Attached picture P1122314.JPG
Attached picture P1122315.JPG
Attached picture P1122316.JPG
Attached picture P1122317.JPG
Attached picture P1122313.JPG
Posted By: Kurt_Menliff Re: rad hewer question - 01/15/2017 09:31 AM
Hello

You can clean it partly but don't expect a miracle ... if you want to remove all the pitting you'll have to remove too many matter and the markings will go away ... It is in a reasonably good "bad condition" if i may say so ...

Here is an exemple of a RAD hewer i purchased last year ... in a worse condition than yours obviously ... I gave it to a blacksmith and here is the final result : not what i hope for ... brighter but the markings are faded now ...

[img:center][/img]
[img][img]http://zupimages.net/up/17/02/0ahd.jpg[/img][/img]

you can try to clean but it won't add anything to the value i'm afraid ..

Regards

K.
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: rad hewer question - 01/15/2017 04:38 PM
I agree with Kurt, I have been collecting blades for 40 years and just had to try cleaning a few when I first started collecting.. in looking back, I was not satisfied with that decision any time I cleaned! Yours really is just " salty" enough to speak to its history and journey through time.. it even has a nicely burnished motto remaining, that is quite rare on these hewers! Leave it as is and keep it stored in a dry place. Congrats on a nice hewer! Best, Kevin.
Posted By: wotan Re: rad hewer question - 01/15/2017 05:33 PM
I can only emphasize what Kevin has already said, especially concerning the condition of michal199īs hewer and what to do with it. And give a true tip I have myself learned here in the GD.C forum: If you want a better condition - buy a better condition.
This is spoken relatively easy although I am aware of problems getting "better condition" at certain regions and also that it is a question of cash. But generally the tip is right.
Regards,
Posted By: michal199 Re: rad hewer question - 01/16/2017 11:50 AM
thank You all for the replies,i will go after Your answers and leave this hewer in actual condition.this is one of the options that i thinked about,better dont ''fix''the history.the hewer in my eyes looks enough good to have a place on my wall so forcing it into risky ingerention that do not satisfy me will be a pure waste of energy and time.
thank You one more time for opinions and for good words.
best regards
© Your new forums