UBB.threads
Posted By: Paul RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/27/2014 01:53 PM
Gentlemen
I have been asked by a collector friend to post pictures of a recently discovered student dagger from a school with no other known examples to compare. Whilst confirmed as period manufacture by the leaders in this field, any other comments would be welcomed.
Further pics are available if required.
Paul

Attached picture IMG_1511 (1).jpg
Attached picture IMG_1513.jpg
Attached picture IMG_1521.jpg
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/27/2014 02:44 PM
The scabbard appears to be a repainted political example. I love the frog though. the grip to crossguard fit seems to be lacking a bit but it just may be the way the grip is turned a degree or two.
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/28/2014 07:02 AM
I saw this dagger a few years back, sans frog. The dagger appears ok, but the scabbard is an add on and finish is not correct IMO. The frog is an early SA IMO and not NPEA
Posted By: Paul Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/28/2014 01:11 PM
Thank you Ron
I have seen 2 others over the years with unmarked crossguards but this exact same shade of green on the scabbard. I hoped that this piece, which appears to be attributed to the Loben school????, might indicate that all daggers from that school were painted this way, and thus tie more pieces to this institution- thoughts?
Paul
Posted By: Paul Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/29/2014 08:39 AM
I should add that the other scabbards were correct NPEA with correctly marked frog lug, and not political replacements as this appears to be.
P
Posted By: DONS Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/29/2014 12:52 PM
In Ron's NPEA book on pg.119 (Loben school) there are a couple of photos of student daggers taken from the personal album of Jungmann Siegfried Stein. The scabbards are painted the standard NPEA olive green. This indicates that the Loben school did not use the light green as their standard color.
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 05/30/2014 05:50 AM
Thanks Don, you are correct.
Posted By: wolves54! Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 08/23/2014 03:38 PM
I do not have his new book but i thought the pictures were in black and white ? they are in the old book so how can you tell the colour of the scabbard
Posted By: wolves54! Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 08/23/2014 03:52 PM
The scabbard was on this dagger when Ron tried to buy it some years ago the dagger came from a vet who worked at an aircraft factory in Gloustershire cant say that he did not repaint the scabbard but this is how it came back. It is the only known dagger from this school and that makes it extra rare, thought the pictures in the book where in black and white ? think the dagger is for sale now.
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: RARE NPEA SCHOOL - 08/25/2014 02:48 AM
You can tell the Loben daggers have the frog stud scabbard in the photos and a light colored scabbard would show up in black and white photos. I feel no doubt about the dagger, but the scabbard is an add on at some point. Photos in the Stein photo album (still in the student's hand at the time I got them) were from 1943.
© Your new forums