UBB.threads
Posted By: nurseswim RED CROSS fix - 05/03/2013 12:03 PM
I inherited this EM RED CROSS dagger and would like to get it complete. can anyone advise on getting original grips and pommel ?

Attached picture RC1.JPG
Attached picture RC2.JPG
Attached picture RC3.JPG
Posted By: Vern Re: RED CROSS fix - 05/03/2013 01:02 PM
A replacement pommel is going to be hard to find. If you do, the hilt is made of white metal and will be hard to solder together and get a decent job. I've seen quite a few broken hewers over the years and only one decently repaired.
Posted By: nurseswim Re: RED CROSS fix - 05/03/2013 01:39 PM
what is the XB marking? is this signifigant?
Posted By: Vern Re: RED CROSS fix - 05/04/2013 03:57 AM
Could be the owner's initials. That would make it an interesting collection piece. It's a shame the pommel is broken off. It looks in decent shape otherwise.
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: RED CROSS fix - 05/04/2013 04:45 AM
The only hope you have for this is to find a red cross hewer with a broken oval cross guard, and somehow cannibalize the 2 together. The engraved initials are probably from the original owner, and do add value and interest to hewer. Good luck with your project!

Attached picture red cross.jpg
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: RED CROSS fix - 05/04/2013 05:28 AM
In 55 plus years in this hobby, I have never sent an incomplete DRK Hewer hilt offered for sale. Also, NO crossguards for the Red Cross Daggers were found as left overs in Germany after the war and I know several who looked.
An uphill impossible journey IMO.,
Posted By: nurseswim Re: RED CROSS fix - 05/05/2013 03:54 AM
i appreciate your advice. i was hoping for a "do-able" fix. i'll keep this dagger as is then. don't want to get into anything that will cause more issues. thanks guys
Posted By: kyles bullets Re: RED CROSS fix - 07/01/2013 02:41 AM
I had read somewhere that each dagger part was made to fit the dagger it was put on. IMO I would leave it as it is. It keeps its original history in this way.
Posted By: the russian Re: RED CROSS fix - 07/01/2013 05:21 PM
I agree with mr bullets completely
Posted By: Grumpy Re: RED CROSS fix - 07/10/2013 12:22 AM
There was a hilt advertised recently on eBay. Could still be there. As noted, a very difficult repair, even with the proper parts.
© Your new forums