UBB.threads
Posted By: vintagetimenow NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 02:59 AM
A collector of modern knives bought this from the son-in-law of the vet, who died 10 years ago. He just wanted to flip this knife, and I was happy to work out a deal to get it. Luckily, no chips in the grip! The frog has been on this forever, as the frog shape and rust underneath attest. Certainly is just a K-98 frog. The Classic correct issue frogs are more like a wide dress frog, and probably did not hold up well. I also have the numbered dagger just before this one, so it's nice to see how the stampings match so well.

Attached picture NPEA B36 fr in sm.jpg
Attached picture NPEA B36 out fr sm.jpg
Attached picture NPEA B36 out rev sm.jpg
Attached picture NPEA B 36 rev grip sm.jpg
Attached picture NPEA B36 lug only.JPG
Attached picture B35 B36 sm.jpg
Posted By: stingray Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 03:24 AM
Nice find John,congrats

Stingray
Posted By: Craig Gottlieb Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 05:19 AM
Under rated, and very rare. Congrats, John. In my 12 years as a dealer, I've only bought ONE NPEA out of the woodwork. Several Himmlers, several SS Honor daggers, but only ONE NPEA.
Posted By: DONS Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 12:22 PM
Congrats John on putting together a consecutive numbered pair.
Posted By: A J Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 04:23 PM
Hi John congrats on a fine addition to your NPEA collection. What do you or Ron W make of the fact that 35 is a leaders' dagger and 36 is a students'?
Does anyone have B34 or B37 to give a clue?
Posted By: seany Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 10:05 PM
Very nice find ,a rare dagger indeed
Posted By: Billy G. Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/29/2012 10:54 PM
John,

Great consecutive numbered pair!
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/30/2012 07:29 AM
The dagger for MOST Schools were numbered without respect to rank or type. It is hard to find any Bensberg School daggers, especially in the first 100. What I found in research seems to be that the first issued NPEA Daggers were almost always in the below 100 numbers for most of the early schools. The daggers from Bensberg that were later or higher numbers were of a different size and font. Good find John.
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/30/2012 07:31 AM
I'm with Craig here. In over 350 motel buys, I found ONE NPEA Student Dagger.
Posted By: A J Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/30/2012 08:19 AM
Thanks for the info Ron I notice all the Bensberg daggers in you book are Eickhorn.John is B35 a Burgsmuller too?
Posted By: RFI Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/30/2012 05:41 PM
Glad you got it John, it has the right home:)!
See you in a couple of weeks,
Bob
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/30/2012 05:56 PM
Yes,the B35 is also a Burgsmuller.
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/31/2012 02:56 AM
I forgot, I have B83 and B85, also Burgsmullers. B85 must have been pulled out of a pile of burning weapons, so the vet made a leather replacement grip.

Attached picture B83.jpg
Attached picture B85.jpg
Attached picture B85 fr out sm.jpg
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/31/2012 07:20 AM
I think the change from Burgsmuller to Eickhorn occurred around 100 fom what I have seen in other schools.
Posted By: A J Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/31/2012 08:18 AM
Ron in your book you show B68 (an Eickhorn) with the different font stamping
Amazing how information still keeps coming along
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/31/2012 05:03 PM
That's correct, its an Eickhorn
Posted By: A J Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 08/31/2012 06:31 PM
Ron in the book you state that B68 has a (nickel) silver eagle suggesting it was a leader or instructors dagger depending on the scabbard.As John's four Burgsmuller daggers would suggest that even though Bensberg was in the Solingen area they got their initial supply of daggers from Burgsmuller admittedly a retailer but at odds with previous held opinion that their initial dagger supply was from Eickhorn.Could it be that the original Burgsmuller B68 was a student dagger and became a graduation inscribed dagger and was later replaced in the school's inventory by the B68 Eickhorn you show in the book? We may never know but congrats to John Merling with his fine collection of these scarce and unfortunately much reproduced daggers
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 09/01/2012 12:12 AM
Nice find Doc you’re on a roll
Posted By: Gailen David Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 11/18/2012 03:31 PM
NPEA daggers are one of my favorites and are very rare.

Gailen
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 11/18/2012 09:46 PM
I don't believe ANY Eickhorn student daggers were made without the grip eagle. All Eickhorns that I know came directly out of the woodwork had a grip eagle, including their student daggers. I don't believe in the Staff Leader concept with NPEA Daggers. I was told by NPEA Students and from interviews from teachers tha the issue Leader Daggers came with a bayonet type scabbard at the school for use in the field and on exercises.
So, what you fined with Burgsmuller pieces with an eagle in the grip in the student scabbard are officer daggers that were found after the war in the extra scabbard (I have only seen a couple that I know came back this way with the early Burgsmuller Charlottenburg TM). No printed, factual evidence has ever been found to counter this believe. This is why you see all the late, unissued Eickhorn student daggers with an eagle in the grip because that's the only way Eickhorn manufactured them. If this was not the case, where are all the plain grip Eickhorn NPEAs???
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 11/18/2012 09:54 PM
Another interesting fact about the Berlin Charlottenburg student daggers for the early school's (probably the first 10 or so), had some traits that keeps that consistant from school to school. The type of crossguard and markings, tang marks, and scabbards.
We see that blued scabbards were first issued with a felt green cover for the scabbar's protection (they didn't hold up and many were painted later on as were the next issue).
I have yet to find an original, blued scabbard on an issue dagger that was not numbered under the 100 range and wasn't a Burgsmuller.
Again, all this is in my second NPEA work: "Waffenleite Presenting NPEA Daggers of the Third Reich" available to all members of GermanDaggers.com at the discount price of $49.95 plus $5.00 shipping.
Posted By: Serge (aka Wagner) Re: NPEA fresh vet family find - 11/19/2012 12:11 AM
Originally Posted By: Billy G.
John,

Great consecutive numbered pair!

Yes ! Congrats John on finding a consecutive numbered pair of NPEA daggers. A rarity.
Just Great. smile

-serge-
© Your new forums