UBB.threads
Posted By: Paul NPEA-First of many?? - 03/09/2012 03:21 PM
I have always shied away from these due to my inability to recognise good from bad, but when this one came on the market from THE most reputable source, I had to take the plunge
Recently obtained directly from the vets family, and presented to you entirely ‘as found’ (minus the spider family in the frog!) Crossguard nut is seized, and on the advice of others will stay that way. I have wiped the piece with a dry duster and renwaxed the blade, otherwise just as bought back by the vet.
I have been advised that the ‘W’ letter and numeral on the reverse crossguard relates to the Wahlstatt NPEA school, open 1933-1937, which on closure transferred current students to existing schools including PLON, which accounts for the PLON graduation engraving on the obverse upper guard, and possibly for the clearly amateur period repaint of the scabbard
I believe this to be a perfect example of a Type 1 Burgsmuller with Nickel fittings and original-tho not typical –frog
Your comments would be appreciated

paul

Attached picture full npea.jpg
Attached picture W123.jpg
Attached picture maker.jpg
Attached picture motto.jpg
Attached picture top guard.jpg
Posted By: Paul Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/09/2012 03:24 PM
I have been asked to show the reverse of the frog:

Attached picture frog.jpg
Posted By: diplo matt Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/09/2012 03:55 PM
fantastic pics and a great item well done .Just out of interest what are the opinions from the forum on the correct type of frog ?
dippy
Posted By: patrice Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/09/2012 04:03 PM

The NPEA daggers are the thoughest to find on the market and are also one of the most difficult to authenticate.

Well done Paul on a fine specimen. smile
Posted By: DONS Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/09/2012 07:38 PM
Nice grad marked NPEA. Believe the frog was originally made for a bayonet. Would be nice to see the crossguard and tang markings though.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/09/2012 11:41 PM
So now I know who beat me to this fine dagger, well done Paul. How is the blade? It was supposed to have some element of "professional" sharpening.
Posted By: Paul Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/10/2012 12:22 AM
Thanks guys,great to have your approval.
I'm blown away by this piece-but now I'm totally hooked! Gotta have more LOL

Billy my friend the 'professional sharpening' is so slight as to be undetectable, and the period repaint gives the Wahlstatt/Plon transfer story so much more depth, I can imagine the student reaching his new school with a rough scabbard,but wanting to impress his new teachers,so goes to see the overworked maintenance staff for some help and being told "there's the paint, there's the brush-get on with it!"
Great stuff

Paul
Posted By: seany Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/11/2012 02:27 AM
Very nice find that is one superb dagger
Posted By: vintagetimenow Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/12/2012 04:42 AM
Great Score Paul. Apparently this went up for sale on Friday during the SOS. I was the 6th person to call Monday to buy it!
Luckily, I did find one NPEA to buy at the SOS.
Interesting history on the school situation. I also have a dagger which started out W 095 stamped, then over stamped with the PL school marking with the switch, see picture. My example is not graduation marked, so I really do like your example.

Attached picture PL W095.jpg
Posted By: Larry C Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/12/2012 10:08 AM
Nice Paul!! it doesnt get any better than that ,, getting it direct from the vet. These are getting hard to find period!!! I have seen some nice ones on this forum lately and recently Pats example! Larry
Posted By: Barry Brown Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/17/2012 12:34 PM
Congrats, Paul. A fine original with a very interesting NPEA school history, as revealed by the markings. Thank you very much for showing it to me and to Ted Daly at the Chatham Dockyard show last week, much appreciated by both of us.

Barry
Posted By: Paul Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/17/2012 04:58 PM
Barry, it was a privilege and great pleasure to chat with yourself and Ted, some of the most respected names in the hobby-your opinion,as always, is most gratefully received and appreciated.
Paul
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/23/2012 04:50 PM
Nice score!!
Posted By: lanner Re: NPEA-First of many?? - 03/24/2012 12:10 PM
very envious - still looking for one - if ever anybody wants to cash in on a spare one
© Your new forums