UBB.threads
Posted By: Paul Customs Duty - 05/09/2011 06:58 PM
Having just been burgled and having lost a dagger-DRK Leader,straps knot etc-Mint-I now need to make an insurance claim. As its highly likely the replacement will come from the USA,-and I dont want to make a loss on this! can anyone advise me what the UK customs charges etc would be on a dagger with a declared value of ,say, $3000? The government site was less than helpful

Many Thanks

Paul
Posted By: Dagger Screws Re: Customs Duty - 05/09/2011 07:57 PM
Hi Paul,

I recently had an SS dagger and Army dagger sent from the States and the value of them was about $3000.
The customs charge levied was just over £90 which was about seventy something pound in VAT and about £13 clearance fee that was added by Parcelforce.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Ian
Posted By: WWII Re: Customs Duty - 05/09/2011 11:03 PM
Paul,

Man, that's some rotten news mate!! Hope things works out well for you! Damn! mad

Bill
Posted By: RFI Re: Customs Duty - 05/09/2011 11:27 PM
I have CIA insurance and what they recommend seems to have several uses. They require me to place the most minimal value on a items I can. If possible a “0” value is recommended. I think when you place a high value on an items custom form it helps inspire theft. Secondly the low value helps keep the tariffs low. I have mailed thousands of packages international and never had an incident with USPS. Fed Ex has caused me many problems and CIA will not cover packages sent by UPS. Hope this helps!
Bob
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Customs Duty - 05/09/2011 11:34 PM
Paul:

Burglers violate your most private spaces. They should be shot **** **** ****, not necessarily in that order.

And, typically, they cause more damage and heartache than the value of what they take.

John
Posted By: Paul Re: Customs Duty - 05/09/2011 11:43 PM
Thanks guys, advice and sympathy much appreciated.
Your right John, the house and everything in it feels unclean.
I mean this when I say that knowing I have fella's like you behind me makes ALL the difference
Godbless
Paul
Posted By: Mikee Re: Customs Duty - 05/10/2011 05:46 AM
Paul,

Sorry to hear the bad news! I know how you feel when ones home, the one place you should feel safe is violated. I've had this happen a number of times myself, I know it's a little different here in the colonies so owning weapons to stop the threat has always helped me. I sure hope they're caught, justice swift and your items returned.
Posted By: Paul Re: Customs Duty - 05/10/2011 08:21 AM
Its a sad fact Mikee that the Englishmans home is no longer his castle, and we have no rights whatsoever it seems to defend it. As for Justice, in the extremely unlikely event that anyone is apprehended, they will be treated as the injured party, pitied for their poor upbringing, given a metaphorical slap on the wrist and released to do it all again. Human rights? I had some of those once...........................................

Paul
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Customs Duty - 05/10/2011 11:29 AM
Paul,

Sorry to hear this terrible news. I would agree with Bob I. about putting as low a value as possible on an item. I've never had a problem sending stuff via USPS with a low value attributed. We all hear tales of woe when packages are correctly valued. Good luck!
Posted By: Krullies Re: Customs Duty - 05/11/2011 10:42 PM
Originally Posted By: JohnZ
..They should be shot **** **** ****, not necessarily in that order..

*ROFLOL* Yup! Anyways, Paul, I saw on a forum somewhere that they had a stolen things topic? Cant remember what forum it was, something German, only passing thru, but, maybe, if you have some shots of your stolen things, post them here? If any are sold somewhere, maybe someone will notice? Sorry you got damages, and the "unsafe/unclean" feeling ..

Bye,
KR
© Your new forums