UBB.threads
Posted By: inimicus ANOTHER BOOT KNIFE - "S" marked - 03/30/2008 04:52 AM
I have the chance of buying a very mice-looking WWII "classic" boot knife at a local antique shop, condition excellent throughout. un-grooved dirty blonde grip with typical "birds-head" pommel. it has the "double spring" scabb clip - the type with cross-hatching.

all normal so far. but the ricasso has a stamped-in mark: a capital roman letter "S". it's by itself and not in a "box."

anyone know what this mark means? also: he wants $185 which I guess is in the normal range if a little low - right?

sorry I have no pic but thanks and good hunting!
Posted By: Gaspare Re: ANOTHER BOOT KNIFE - "S" marked - 03/30/2008 03:28 PM
yes, low priced but many of the local antique shops aren't up on current prices..

An authentic piece?? There are a couple of good Fighting Knife books out there,,if you can't get your hands on them I'll tell you what worked for a friend of mine,,,,,
Go on eBay and put on 'Fighting knife'[other subject titles will also be shown]..Check the listings! Many are sold outright as reproduction.. The photos are good and you might find a dead ringer for the knife you want to buy..Other than that you'll need good photos..,G.
Posted By: inimicus Re: ANOTHER BOOT KNIFE - "S" marked - 03/30/2008 05:58 PM
thanks gaspare.

I've been to ebay and other forums. seems there are many "devilish" details - the size of the spring clip cross-hatching, whether there's a notch where the grips join the guard, how "steep" the scabb's taper, whether an RB number can co-exist with a maker's logo, whether one is a LW "survival knife," etc.

well anyway as to the plain "S" mark - what's it mean please and are any known fajes carriny it?

I wish I cd. make pix in the store but this wd. be incautious...

thanks again!

david
Posted By: derjager Re: ANOTHER BOOT KNIFE - "S" marked - 03/31/2008 01:19 AM
There is reference in volume VII Collecting The Edged Weapons Of The Third Reich by: LTC. (RET). Thomas M. Johnson, Chapter 6, The Third Reich Boot Knife by: Robert Heiduk, of one style of german fighting knife that has been observed with a waffen-Amt Ordnance acceptance stamp, an "S" or a "W" on the ricasso. You can find this information on pages 317-321.
Two examples are shown. One with the Waffen-Amt stamp and another with the "W".

--dj--Joe
© Your new forums