UBB.threads
Posted By: Peter_Suciu Helmet with History - 10/17/2006 04:02 PM
This summer I bought this British Foreign Service Helmet. It came with the tin as well, which noted the owners name: Major C. Venables-Llewelyn of the Glamorgan Imperial Yeomanry. With help of a friend I was able to track down that this officer was Sir Charles Venables-Llewelyn. He was a territorial, or volunteer. He served in World War I, rising to the rank of Colonel. His eldest son died in the war as well in 1917.

I did some digging and I found out that Sir Charles other son was actually a Brigadier in the First World War. Both Sir Charles and his son held the office of Lord-Lieutenant of Radnorshire, which has since been merged with the office of Lord-Lieutenant of Powys. Well, turns out the current Lord-Lieutenant is Sir John Venables-Llewleyn.

I was able to contact Sir John, who was kind enough to send me a few photos.
Posted By: Peter_Suciu Re: Helmet with History - 10/17/2006 04:03 PM
The helmet:

Attached picture british_fsh1.jpg
Posted By: Peter_Suciu Re: Helmet with History - 10/17/2006 04:03 PM
The Tin

Attached picture british_fsh4.jpg
Posted By: Peter_Suciu Re: Helmet with History - 10/17/2006 04:06 PM
The photo of Sir Charles in his uniform. Now doesn't that look like the same helmet? Eek

Attached picture british_fsh5.jpg
Posted By: Peter_Suciu Re: Helmet with History - 10/17/2006 04:07 PM
The helmet... I should note that the top of my helmet does show the outline of a spike base. The Yeomanry wore spikes on their helmets when on parade.

Attached picture Helmet_in_Photo.jpg
Posted By: Derek O. Re: Helmet with History - 10/17/2006 07:11 PM
Wow.
The history on that piece is beyond words.
Very cool. Must have a special place on your shelf.
Posted By: Jareth Holub Re: Helmet with History - 10/18/2006 12:25 AM
Peter, nice helmet! Been wondering what it looked like! Nice history is a fine bonus!
Posted By: Anders L. Re: Helmet with History - 10/18/2006 06:32 AM
Great history and a nice helmet, Peter.
Congrats.
Posted By: Mike 39 Re: Helmet with History - 11/25/2006 05:48 AM
I saw this on the Business Review interview you did. Outstanding piece of British militaria !

Mike
© Your new forums