UBB.threads
Posted By: shu battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 04:52 PM
It's an ET64 M40 with a crack on top. There appear to be two layers of paint - tan and green. The liner, the rivets, and the chinstrap are intact. This makes me wonder what caused the crack, but two of my friends pointed out that this might have been caused by a fall from a high place when the helmet was not worn. But the cracking on the shell is not entirely uncommon ... especially on the ET shell. Anyway, any real camo SS is rare and this nice verdant color must have blended into the summer green ... maybe in Normandy?

Shu

Attached picture rightangle2MS.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 04:53 PM
another right angle.

Attached picture camoM40ETrightM_11SS.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 04:55 PM
left

Attached picture camoM40ETleftMSS.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 04:56 PM
crack

Attached picture top2S.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 04:57 PM
crack..

Attached picture crack1S.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 04:59 PM
crack...

Attached picture crack2S.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:00 PM
inside

Attached picture insideS.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:01 PM
decal

Attached picture decalM40ETcamoS.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:02 PM
decal..

Attached picture decal2S.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:03 PM
decal...

Attached picture decal3S.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:04 PM
paint ... hope you'll enjoy it! Smile

Shu

Attached picture paintS.jpg
Posted By: Oregon Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:12 PM
Hi Shu,

Kool helmet even to the verdant collector. Wink

I have a Q M-35 demonstrating cracking as well and have wondered if the cracking is a result of inherent stresses within the shell imparted during the stamping process. Confused

Cody
Posted By: shu Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 05:40 PM
Thank you Cody for your insight. You might be right as there's no visible damage from outside. Would appreciate more info. Smile

Shu
Posted By: K.P. Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 07:06 PM
Nice helmet. the crack will probably never be figured out, but none the less very interesting!
Posted By: RGD51 Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 08:47 PM
Beautiful SS helmet with tremendous combat character, way to go Shu!

Robert
Very Nice helmet Shu~!
You just don't see many Camo SS around at all.

I would think maybe an artillery or grenade concussion could crack a helmet like that, but I am not a metallurgist or an ordinance guy. It just seems to me like that crack was done of the field of battle. I also seen quite a few WWI German m16/18 helmets with that kind of cracking to them as well.
Posted By: darryl Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/13/2007 11:23 PM
Very nice helmet, Shu. I would agree with Jerry that the crack was probably caused by concussion.

Cheers,
Shu,

What a great example!

Can you imagine the headache though!

Bill
Great helmet Shu.

Actually that helmet was damaged when Grenadiers from the 3rd SS-Panzer Grenadier Division "Totenkopf" assaulted the Russian 2nd line of defenses just outside Kursk in July 1943...

Er, sorry... that's just me day dreaming. Big Grin
Great helmet. Regarding the green colour, is that what I have occasionally heard called "French Green". I think it was a paint used in rural areas, but I may be wrong.

Cheers,
-Mike
Posted By: BadBob Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/14/2007 06:15 PM
I think helmet shells with that sort of cracking were sometimes used to hammer in grave markers. The liner condition doesn't suggest that on this one, though.
Posted By: SSTk Re: battle-damaged camo SS ... still a real deal - 05/15/2007 06:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by darryl:
Very nice helmet, Shu. I would agree with Jerry that the crack was probably caused by concussion.

Cheers,

Can you imagine then what the concussion did to the poor soldier wearing the helmet...

Nice lid Shu!
Cool helmet Shu.
Those SS camo helmets are rare....
Great helmet ,perhaps it came of the owners head and was blown about a bit during some heavy shelling .Rob
© Your new forums