UBB.threads
Posted By: Geoff Ward Luftschutz - 03/27/2009 05:17 AM
Just trying to hone my computer and photo skills Here is a nice one I found at a flea market.Hopes for good luck and a new find Geoff.

Attached picture resized_luftschutz.jpg
Posted By: militarymania Re: Luftschutz - 03/27/2009 06:12 AM
good job and nice helmet
Posted By: Rob Sutton Re: Luftschutz - 03/27/2009 10:55 AM
Great find . Can you do a liner shot ,looks like it has the ersatz plastic strap .Rb
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: Luftschutz - 03/28/2009 05:02 AM
Thank you Rb.
Here is a shot of the liner.The chinstrap is brittle but is a nice example of early plastics Does any one know when aircraft winds screens made of plastics or "Plexiglass" were invented?

Attached picture Luftschutz_liner.JPG
Posted By: Sepp Re: Luftschutz - 03/28/2009 03:29 PM
WOW...I never knew they made chin staps from plastic....that is a first for me...

So that strap is Original??

Sepp

GDC 0292 Gold
Posted By: Donald L Re: Luftschutz - 03/28/2009 04:35 PM
Nice LS helmet, yes the chin strap is authentic. It's made of celluloid and can be found in the translucent form as on Geoff's example as well as in black.
Don
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: Luftschutz - 03/29/2009 08:20 AM
I have seen Hitler Youth Knives with plastic Straps/frogs made of plastic.Are these also authentic to the period?
Posted By: jancz3rt Re: Luftschutz - 03/29/2009 10:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Ward:
I have seen Hitler Youth Knives with plastic Straps/frogs made of plastic.Are these also authentic to the period?

Hi, to answer your question, yes these can be authentic. These straps and "frogs" were generally made from black plastic.

JAN Big Grin
Posted By: Rob Sutton Re: Luftschutz - 03/30/2009 03:22 PM
Looks to be mint and unissued , great find . Rob
Posted By: Mark P. Re: Luftschutz - 05/07/2009 12:58 PM
I remember finding several Luftschutz helmets while stationed in Germany (10 years)on the numerous fleamarkets and I happend across ac ouple with plastic chin-straps...for the longest time I thought that they were post war replacements until a my German buddy elightend me to the fact that they were definitely period straps...Nice helmet you have there..
© Your new forums