UBB.threads
Posted By: Tom Kibler SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 10:04 AM
Well the SOS is around the corner and being that I didn't make it to the MAX and I plan on being at the SOS, I was wondering whom I might see there??
Posted By: Erich Wahl Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 10:50 AM
My Dad and I will be there. Hope to finally meet you, Tom.

Cheers,
Erich
Posted By: Ty Smith Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 12:25 PM
I'm planning on being there. broke though. Big Grin
Posted By: darryl Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 12:49 PM
Weather permitting, Ryan and I will be there at noon on Thursday.

Cheers,
Posted By: Oregon Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 01:31 PM
Not. Wink

Cody
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 01:31 PM
I plan to attend again this year.
Will have a few helmets I am sure.

Matt
Posted By: Bob Rodgers Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 01:43 PM
The trip is already paid for and I'm ready to go.
But a family health issue could stop my trip Frown

I hope not ..
Posted By: Mr. Jerry Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 01:44 PM
Bob,
Hope everything works out ok. if not there will always be more shows.

I will be there for the duration, we'll have 3 tables. We'll have a few helmets with us, but since this forum has taught me to appreciate the finer points of the steel pot, all the really good ones are staying home!

(but there should be enough there for all of us)

Hope to see some of you and say "hi"!
Posted By: tonym Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 02:39 PM
I`ll be there from thursday to saturday. Hope to meet many of you guys there.
Tonym
Posted By: Larry Marcella Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 02:55 PM
I'll be there, it's in my back yard. Big Grin
Larry
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 04:51 PM
I'll be there, weather permiting.
Posted By: K.P. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 06:28 PM
What is SOS and where?
Posted By: Peter_Suciu Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 08:43 PM
I am hoping to go for Friday and fly home on Saturday.
Posted By: pvon Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 09:07 PM
Will be set up at the show!

Hope to see all and have a great time!

PVON
Posted By: mario Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 09:40 PM
I'm very temptated to take some days off work,fly over to the States and find out what the SOS is like, I would really love it, but who knows,by the way does anybody knows if US customs raise troubles when you check in at the airport with some lids in the bag Smile
ciao Mario
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 10:05 PM
I set up a few tables every year. Look for Charles Clawson to be signing autographs of his new book. He will be at my table Thursday & Friday - at the gun show side Saturday & Sunday.
Posted By: Adam Kirchen Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/12/2006 10:13 PM
I'll try and make it. If I'm not up in U'per Land Big Grin Ah
Posted By: Bernie Brule Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 02:19 AM
I was hoping to go but my contract ends at the end of March and will not be renewed. Frown Gotta look for another one...

So still am not decided.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 02:54 AM
To quote the Four Tops..."I'll be There"!

Mario, come and visit...I'll take you for some great pasta e fagioli! I search out all the great Italian food places... Big Grin

Mark Cool
Posted By: Colorado Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 03:13 AM
Had good time at MAX, look forward to SOS. Matt, Larry, Perry and I almost got thrown out of the Adam's Mark bar, and it was not even our fault! Remember those guys screaming like Hitler clones and the near fight?
Posted By: Anders L. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 06:17 AM
Not. Frown
Really hope to be there in the future,to meet some of you.

Anders.
Posted By: Ben.. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 06:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by mario:
I'm very temptated to take some days off work,fly over to the States and find out what the SOS is like, I would really love it, but who knows,by the way does anybody knows if US customs raise troubles when you check in at the airport with some lids in the bag Smile
ciao Mario

Come buddy! I gat ya Smile
Posted By: Ben.. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 06:36 AM
Matt and Larry
You have to hook me up this time.
Posted By: Ben.. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 06:42 AM
I have a partiner with a radio this time. Check point rook 2 to check point King 6. Sound familiar?
Posted By: mario Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 07:18 AM
Hi Mark you forgot to mention spaghetti and mandolin! Roll Eyes I'm Italian but I'd rather have a good roast beef thanks for the offer anyway
quote:
Originally posted by kingtiger:
To quote the Four Tops..."I'll be There"!

Mario, come and visit...I'll take you for some great pasta e fagioli! I search out all the great Italian food places... Big Grin

Mark Cool
Posted By: Feldwebel Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 10:29 AM
I won't be going this year. Last time I went was in 99 and it was great..

Glenn
Posted By: shu Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 01:21 PM
From '99, it went downhill year by year, but still an OK show to attend, I think. I'll be there eating an icecream cone at the stand. Razz

Shu
Posted By: arjan Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 01:34 PM
haven't been there and will not be there this year either,
It is too far, or maybe I have to combine it with a longer holiday

Ps Shu can you tell me why you think it is getting worse?
Posted By: shu Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 02:12 PM
Hi, Arjan. That's just my personal impression. But, I think nobody can deny the general tendency of finding less and less good items, more and more repros/fakes. Prices have been getting higher each year. But this can be observed in other shows. It's a ubiquitous phenomenon, from which SOS can't be escaped, either. This may be the result of the increase of INTERNET transactions. Dealers and collectors began selling items without bringing them to the show. Before the INTERNET, the shows were virtually the only place they could sell the items. HOWEVER, there's been always some good items that captures people's attention. It's a great educational opportunity as well. I like SOS. It's worth attending. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Denny Gaither Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 02:52 PM
For shu,
I read your comments about the SoS and the Internet with interest. The really good stuff seldom makes it to the show, even before the Internet. The really rare and mint items change hands between friends without ever seeing the light of day. This is true today and was true long before there was an Internet.
That said, I still feel the SoS is the best in the world. Last year, I found several pieces for my collection and sold EVERYTHING off my tables. It reminded me of a feeding frenzy!!!!
Posted By: Dave Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 02:58 PM
Why not put up your picture so you can meet the guys from the Forum ?

Dave

PS - Shu is right about the Internet and its effect on buying and selling. The other thing that is happening is that promoters of newer / local shows are scheduling the week before the big ones. They want to drain off collector $$. In this case there is one in Chantilly VA before SOS.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 04:05 PM
I must comment that some stuff at the SOS and MAX is never shown on the internet and some attendee's at the big shows have no idea of what they are really looking at even when they see it.

Example in point...SOS 2 years ago.

Mark Cool Big Grin

Attached picture Reichprotektor_opera_banner.jpg
Posted By: shu Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 05:27 PM
Right, Mark. It's up to what you look for. The wider the rage of the items you look for, the more chances you can get to find them. Certainly, there's always those super expensive items that can't be sold by internet. And there're those collectors and dealers pretty active dealing in those things every time. In other words, the more you have knowledge of militaria in general, the more you are able to enjoy at the show. For those who know what to sell and what to buy at the show, the show is always good. As for myself, my interest is so focused, it's tough every year. In fact, I bought more items at SOS and MAX BEFORE the Internet Age. Even though I said so, attending the show for me is a kind of experience that cannot be replaced by the internet. Smile

Shu
Posted By: Foamspoon Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 05:42 PM
I am going to try and make it. I just saw that I have off that week and plane tix are pretty cheap. This will be my first big show.

Bryan
Posted By: Tom Kibler Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 08:50 PM
Here's a pic of last years SOS..... (Oh and some guys that got in the way Razz)

Attached picture The_Guys_II_A.jpg
Posted By: JohnTB Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 09:35 PM
Gentlemen,
In years past we have often tried to get together as a group at the SOS. We have generally tried to meet in front of the left concession stand in the back at a designated time. Also, the bar in the Old Executive Inn East is a popular hangout at night.

Dave, The show in Chantilly is trying to become a major militaria show. It has a good location for international collectors because of Dulles Airport. All of my friends in the Washington area are excited about it. From what I understand the organizers have scheduled for the same weekend as the MAX. I think they have hopes of eventually eclipsing the MAX.

John
Posted By: Ty Smith Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 10:31 PM
The value of those four guys collections is greater than the Gross National Product of Peru. Big Grin
Posted By: darryl Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/13/2006 11:49 PM
Hey Tom,

Hate to be picky but isn't that the MAX? I doesn't look like the SOS that I know. Here's a pic I took at the SOS two years ago.

Attached picture sos-4.jpg
Posted By: Colorado Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 12:10 AM
Here is me and a few friends when I setup my camera at SOS last year.

Attached picture SOS_002.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 12:11 AM
It's the 2004 Max, I took the pic Smile
Posted By: Tom Kibler Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 01:42 AM
I stand greatly corrected... it was the 2004 MAX. Sorry Darryl and thanks Perry!
Posted By: Feldwebel Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 02:15 PM
The shifty dealers must hate seeing you guy's walking their way Big Grin

Glenn
Posted By: K.P. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 05:57 PM
I'm holding my breath until someone tells me where this S.O.S / max is held.
Posted By: Erich Wahl Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 06:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by K.P.:
I'm holding my breath until someone tells me where this S.O.S / max is held.

Try this link for the SOS and this one for the MAX.

The SOS will be in Louisville, KY and the next MAX will be in Indianapolis, IN.
Posted By: K.P. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 01/14/2006 07:45 PM
Thanks Erich! it's nice to breath now.
Posted By: JohnTB Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 02/12/2006 11:04 PM
Gentlemen,
Why don't we try and get a group photo of helmet collectors while we are at the SOS and start a thread on it.

Just looking at this thread I see quite a few serious players will be attending.
John
Posted By: T.K. Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 02/13/2006 09:47 AM
John'
You mean a prize contest with a award for the best good looking helmetcollector ? Big Grin
Posted By: mech91 Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 02/13/2006 04:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ben..:
I have a partiner with a radio this time. Check point rook 2 to check point King 6. Sound familiar?
Sorry, it's "check mate king two". COMBAT-Staring Vic Morrow and Rick Jason. Morrow's head lopped off by a helicopter on a movie set, and Rick Jason killed himself.
Posted By: tobau Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 02/13/2006 09:03 PM
Ohhh , one day i will be on the SOS . Here it's a well known event in the collector communication !
Posted By: Anonymous Re: SOS - Who's Going and Who's not? - 02/13/2006 11:01 PM
I will be there, my wife will not. Big Grin

BTW, I am the good looking guy in the above group photo.
© Your new forums