UBB.threads
Posted By: Grumpy SS Helmet Decal - 12/03/2011 07:22 PM
Would appreciate opinions, please. Thanks!

Attached picture tn.jpg
Posted By: Rob Sutton Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/03/2011 08:10 PM
Looks to be a fake from this little photo . Rob
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/03/2011 09:36 PM
Thanks, Rob. I'll try to enlarge it.
Posted By: Rob Sutton Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/04/2011 10:46 AM
The decal looks to be flat with no depth as does the p[aint on the helmet . Rob
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/04/2011 09:04 PM
I only have photos, but the decal does look metallic in some of them. I'll have to check the helmet paint. I'll try to resize the pertinent photos and post them later today.Thanks.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/04/2011 11:15 PM
I've tried to work with what I have. The decal appears to be highly metallic. The paint does have a slight sheen, as often seen on these. The paint appears to have honest wear and age. I guess the main point of interest is the decal, as to shape, runes, etc. Thanks.

Attached picture tn (Medium).jpg
Attached picture tn.jpg 2 (2) (Medium).jpg
Attached picture tn.jpg 3 (Medium).jpg
Attached picture 2 (2) (Medium).jpg
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/04/2011 11:19 PM
Sorry for the poor quality. The photos I received are small to begin with. I tried to enlarge them, so more detail could be seen. Again, the main concern is the decal. I don't suspect it any more than the usual suspicion of all SS decals. But, would appreciate hearing opinions from those more knowledgeable than I about them. The helmet is an M35, made by Quist, if that's of help. Thanks, again.
Posted By: Rob Sutton Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/05/2011 09:45 AM
The decal is on the wrong side of the helmet . If it were real it would belong to a foreign SS unit and be worth $10000 + , the seller will have to send you some superior photos . Rob
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/05/2011 09:03 PM
Thanks, Rob. I was aware the decal is on the opposite side normally seen. I am trying to get a better pic of it from the seller. He has some knowledge of helmets, but is non-committal about the decal. He says it is the "Pocher" type, but I can't find a photo of one that exactly matches the one on this helmet. Based on what I can see, the runes on this one are slightly shorter than usually seen. The bottoms of the runes are not quite even with the "break" in the outer edges of the shield. I don't know whether that has significance or not, especially on what may be a "foreign" unit helmet.
Posted By: Rev.Mike Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/05/2011 09:15 PM
Even allowing for a bit of variance this one looks like it may be a bad one. Considering the cost of SS helmets, I would want good, dead on close-up photos and a reasonable time to examine it and return it if it turns out bad.
-Mike
Posted By: militarymania Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/08/2011 03:24 PM
i would vote bad decal on this one..
Posted By: RFI Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/08/2011 05:22 PM
I would not want it for free, odd a seller will not provide you with better pictures! If he were motivated he would get his camera out unless he wants to hide something!
bEST Wishes,
Bob
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/08/2011 08:41 PM
Thanks, guys. The helmet sold "for cheap." I passed on it. The seller never sent a good photo of the decal,as promised, and that was enough for me.
Posted By: kenleach Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/23/2011 11:19 AM
Looks like a good one to me. Quist maker. I would take it off your hands if you want it.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Helmet Decal - 12/23/2011 06:06 PM
Sorry, it was sold some time ago (not to me).
© Your new forums