UBB.threads
Posted By: JohnZ Norwegians in the SS - 02/28/2018 11:16 PM
There is a comprehensive article on the participation of Norwegians in the German war effort, particularly in the SS, during the war here:

http://www.nuav.net/volunter.html

Hitler loved Norwegians, like someone else we know and made it easy for them to enlist and to keep many of their identities intact. Some 15.000 Norwegians served in various capacity.

I collect the cuff titles for those units that had Norwegians serving.

Panzerdivison 5 'Wiking', included Regiments Westland, Germania and Nordland.

Here are cufftitles from Wiking, Westland and Nordland.

Attached picture MVC-135S.JPG
Attached picture Obverse.JPG
Attached picture MVC-136S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-138S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-145S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-147S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-148S.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/01/2018 03:37 PM
Some also served in Germania and Der Fuhrer... I have a Fuhrer cuff.

Attached picture MVC-151S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-152S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-153S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-154S.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/01/2018 03:42 PM
Panzergrenadier Regiment 23 Norge consisted of elements from Den Norske Legion and Germanske SS Norge.

Attached picture MVC-142S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-143S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-144S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-155S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-156S.JPG
Attached picture Reverse.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/01/2018 03:47 PM
My latest pickup at this year's SOS is this SS Kriegsberichter cufftitle.

I am still looking for SS KB Abt, Hermann von Salza, SS Schule Tolz cuffs.

Attached picture MVC-130S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-131S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-132S.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/01/2018 03:57 PM
There were also a handful of Norwegians in the following SS formations:

Adolf Hitler (4 northmen)
Das Reich (5)
Prinz Eugen (3)
Hohenstaufen (1)
Frundsberg (2)
De Ruiter (1)
General Seyffardt (4)
Kurt Eggers

Northmen also served in the Wehrmacht, the Kriegsmarine, the Luftwaffe and various support organizations. In addition, some 350 or so nurses also served in the German armed forces.

I almost forgot, but the Norwegian volunteers undergoing training in Fallingbostel wore the Den Norske Legion silk embroidered and made in Norway cufftitle, later (at the end of 1941) a new cuff title made in Germany for Frw. Legion Norwegen replaced that one.

Attached picture MVC-149S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-150S.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/01/2018 05:49 PM

WOW!,, John thats a wonderful collection of cufftitles!! You have some really rare ones,,,and in good condition!
I'd say - from what I seen at the last 3 MAX shows,,the last few years have been the best prices to buy SS cloth.. I had 2 friends that got completely out of collecting the last 5 years selling oof their SS cloth rather inexpensive just to 'move it'..

For me I love the Wiking and Westland.. IF I'm correct they served/fought their entire existence on the Russian front.. tough bastards!
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/01/2018 06:25 PM
Thanks, G.

If you know of anyone who is selling the Hermann von Salza or the SS KB-Abt cufftitles, please let me know.

John
Posted By: Militarynut Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/02/2018 10:57 AM
hi john z
nice to see you again posting on the very rare to find anything pertainig to norweign ss soldiers i seen some rare ss norweign cuff titles at the show but not sure what table perhaps gus villarreal might have had them on his table at the show you can call him at 210 638- 9937 to make sure or if its not him he would know whats at the show pertaining to ss norweign cloth plus he is a very humble and honest man to deal with who knows it might be your lucky day i hope ps i still have my rare minty ss norweign gen. quisling collar tabs up for grabs if you know any body they can contact me at nanny1fl@aol.com god bless godd luck andy
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/03/2018 05:19 AM
John,, For a while now you've been showing us some really fantastic pieces .
Question - Do you keep everything kind of packed,,stacked out of site riker cases, stuff in a footlocker?,,,or are you lucky enough to have a man cave or space to have most of it all displayed?
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/03/2018 11:28 AM
Thanks for the comments guys.

I keep most of my Norway items in Riker cases. I have one bedroom dedicated to my libarary, photo setup and Riker cases and books... my mini cave. I also have my basement set up for the sharp and point things in my collection.

Attached picture MVC-568S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-711S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-712S.JPG
Attached picture MVC-517S.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/04/2018 04:08 AM
John,, nice cabinet.

Those thin drawers are perfect for everything,,daggers, medals/badges, even rings. wink..

What was it originally for drawings,,type set ,or something?
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/04/2018 12:53 PM
I sketched it out and our good buddy, Bill Warda, turned my baby scrawls into a beautiful piece of furniture... then it was shipped to the Great White North from Philadelphia.

The only problem with it, in hindsight, is that it is too small! I have almost filled it up.

I will take more pictures.

J
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Norwegians in the SS - 03/04/2018 07:23 PM

Really? Wow from B.W.,. Looks great.. Yeah I'm always looking for a type setters box to try and make something similar...
Thats a collectors piece all by it self!
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS - 05/29/2018 02:47 PM
My latest cufftitle from my Norwegians in the SS collection is this one from Reinhard Heydrich.

Attached picture Obverse Reinhard.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Heydrich.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Closeup.JPG
Attached picture Reverse RZM Tag.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Norwegians in the SS Fallingbostel Armpatch - 09/21/2018 04:07 PM
Norwegian Legion trainees went to the Fallingbostel camp and wore this Norway Flag arm patch.

Posted By: JohnZ Reichskommissariat Norwegen - 09/21/2018 09:11 PM
Not quite on topic, but here is my small Reichskommissariat pickup from Norway.

Here is what Wikipedia says about Reichskommissariat:

'From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Reichskommissariat Norwegen was the civilian occupation regime set up by Nazi Germany in German-occupied Norway
during World War II. Its full title in German was the Reichskommissariat f?r die besetzten norwegischen Gebiete
("Reich Commissariat for the Occupied Norwegian Territories"). It was governed by Reichskommissar Josef Terboven
until his deposition on 7 May 1945. The German military forces in Norway, then under the command of general
Franz B?hme, surrendered to the Allies on 9 May and the legal government was restored.'

I found an armband, an arm patch and a cufftitle.

J

Attached picture Reichskommissariat Grouping.JPG
Attached picture Armband Obverse.JPG
Attached picture Armband Stamp.JPG
Attached picture Armpatch Obverse.JPG
Attached picture Armpatch Reverse.JPG
Attached picture Cufftitle Obverese.JPG
Attached picture Cufftitle Closeup.JPG
Posted By: Trigger Re: Reichskommissariat Norwegen - 09/22/2018 03:40 PM
Lovely collection with a relation to Norway!
I have never seen the patch and cufftitle before.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Eastern Front Medal Plus - 09/25/2018 02:50 PM
Here is an interesting version of a very common medal, the so-called 'frozen meat' medal from the Eastern Front.

It has the packet of issue as well as two Nordic pins attached, one Norge and one Viking ship.

Thank you, Gaspare for this.

J

Attached picture Reverse Norge Pin.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Eastern Front Medal Plus - 09/26/2018 07:02 PM
I've said it before and I
ll say it again..

John,, you probably have the best ,not only SS, but overall , Norwegian collection that is out there. Tastefully thought about, cared for, rare, and in good condition... I hope you have a 'man cave' they call it now or somewhere where it all can be displayed. For me museum quality pieces!.

Always a treat to see what you bring back.. Man!, thats what I miss myself,,going somewhere else and the hunt,,the hunt and finding something,,that first time you have it it your hands.. What a great feeling. I miss it...
Glad there are guys like you thats hunting the stuff in its homeland,,then conserving it etc.. Thanks for showing us John...
© Your new forums