UBB.threads
Posted By: Grumpy SS Buckle Question - 09/23/2017 09:05 PM
Does anybody know if GWL SS officer buckles are still considered to be postwar? Thanks.
Posted By: Vern Re: SS Buckle Question - 09/24/2017 12:22 AM
GWL is the mark for Gebruder Wegerhoff Ludenscheid but my understanding is that they did not produce SS Officer's buckles.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Buckle Question - 09/25/2017 06:59 PM
Thanks, Vern. That's been the "conventional wisdom" for years. I own couple I picked up early on, not knowing what they were. They look awfully good to me and are in zinc. I'm not sure I agree with the consensus, but once something is pegged as "fake," that is what is accepted.
Posted By: Vern Re: SS Buckle Question - 09/25/2017 09:58 PM
Yes, that's how it goes. Even if proven original later, once tagged as a repro, it's hard to sell.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Buckle Question - 09/25/2017 10:30 PM
Right. It seems the construction is the problem on these. That's what reponses to questions on websites seem to indicate. Funny, since the Jutner buckles are made very similarly and are accepted as authentic.
Posted By: Sdk Re: SS Buckle Question - 09/29/2017 07:07 PM
Hi
Can somebody tell me please is this real or fake buckle?
[img]https://scontent-sof1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=59D135DF[/img] [img]https://scontent-sof1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=59D17EA9[/img]
Posted By: Jean Pierre Redeuilh Re: SS Buckle Question - 02/22/2019 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Grumpy
Right. It seems the construction is the problem on these. That's what reponses to questions on websites seem to indicate. Funny, since the Jutner buckles are made very similarly and are accepted as authentic.

Yes, because the ones made by Emil J?ttner are authentic when the ones supposedly made by GWL are not. Of course a fake/reproduction is going to take example on an original. The fake GWL were indeed based on original ELJ since crimps to attach the back plate were easier to reproduce than the ones found on Overhoff buckles (Overhoff and Emil J?ttner are the only makers to have produced zinc SS officer buckles). Even currently there is even more zinc fakes than when the GWL were out but they still continue to bear those crimps copied from J?ttner.
© Your new forums