UBB.threads
Posted By: Skynyrd Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/10/2014 06:24 PM
Apparently a very difficult and remote island to journey to, for that reason it is a time capsule for WW2 relics

http://www.slate.com/blogs/atlas_obscura/2014/08/25/world_war_ii_relics_on_kiska_island.html
Posted By: kyles bullets Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/12/2014 03:01 AM
Very interesting! Funny how they had left when we got there lol
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/12/2014 05:38 PM
Sub is especially intriguing, no telling from the pic how it ended up landlocked. Perhaps the area seasonally floods, wish there were more pics posted, the guy was there a whole summer.
Posted By: Stephane Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/13/2014 07:13 PM
Interesting! I've heard of the invasion of Kiska because I live in Hull (Québec, Canada) and the Régiment de Hull took part in the operation. However, it's the first time I see pictures of that place.
Posted By: Vern Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/13/2014 08:55 PM
Before and after photos of the sub wink

Attached picture Kiska sub.jpg
Attached picture Kiska sub 2.jpg
Posted By: Vern Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/13/2014 08:56 PM
If you do a web search for Kiska Island, lots of photos show up wink
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/14/2014 09:20 PM
Ok, looks like the sub was transported from water to shelter via railway cut then the whole works was destroyed in place, leaving only the carcass of the sub [or subs, looks like 2, other one likely shipped to Pearl for evaluation].

This guy was there a whole summer specifically studying war relics, he must have 100's if not 1,000's of photos, maybe planning a book.
Then again, hard to gauge how extensive the relics are there.
Posted By: Panzerfaust Re: Untoched war relics on Kiska - 09/17/2014 03:05 PM
Seems that there lots of stuff left on the island. Lots of pics on Google images...very interesting!
© Your new forums