UBB.threads
Posted By: Deutsche My first HJ Dagger - 07/05/2010 02:32 PM
Hi Guys,
New to this forum, I have just purchased my first dagger. Bought it from a family who's grandfather brought it to Australia after the war. I have looked up the RZM code and have found it to be by Emil Voos. Please correct me if I'm wrong. It looks as if the knife has never been cleaned or used and never sharpened. The only marks are from the scabbard, and some very light surface rust, which I consider incredible seeing it's dated 1937. Please look at the pics and see what you think. Thank you for your time and look forward to your comments. Cheers. [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img] [img:center][/img]
Posted By: Mac 66 Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/05/2010 04:02 PM
Hi sorry to say but this is a modern repro hj knife, check out this link below to help you understand about hj knifes.
http://www.lakesidetrader.com/HJlesson.html

Regards Mac 66
Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/05/2010 04:08 PM
Hello Deutsche,

Welcome to the forum.

The HJ knife that you show here is one of the most common postwar copies.
The main differences with an original one are:
- the "lip" on the scabbard
- the shape of the guards and the blade
- the quality of the grip plates and the diamond insignum.

If you paid more than 30 US$ for this piece, I advice you to return the knife and get your money back.

If you do some reading here of the many GDC forum posts on how to spot copies; you will be able to make sure that the next HJ knife you buy will be an original.

You can also check out the "for sale" section here: often original HJ's are offered at attractive prices.

Good luck!

Herman
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/05/2010 05:12 PM
Don't be discouraged, we've all done it. If you could see my "mistake" drawer you wouldn't feel too bad. grin There are many knowledgeable folks here who will be happy to help and guide you to an authentic purchase.
Best of luck in this amazing hobby!
Paul
Posted By: Gottlieb Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/05/2010 11:39 PM
"You can also check out the "for sale" section here: often original HJ's are offered at attractive prices."

Herman this part above is my favorite in this thread :-)
Posted By: Deutsche Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/05/2010 11:50 PM
Thanks for your responses. Well I look like the right idiot don't I. Anyway am going to try and return the knife, hope so. Could anybody please inform me as to when the knife may have been made, to help back up my evidence please. Sorry guy's only found this site after I purchased. Been looking at German Dress Daggers.com up till now, thought I had done my research. Anyway see how I go, I did pay a pretty penny. Cheers.
Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/06/2010 06:01 PM
Deutsche,

This type of HJ copy has been around since the 1990ties, I believe.

Best greetings,

Herman
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/09/2010 09:06 PM
Direct him to this link http://www.lakesidetrader.com/HJlesson.html
It may help your case.
Posted By: Larry C Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/10/2010 04:05 PM
[quote=Deutsche]Thanks for your responses. Well I look like the right idiot don't I.
Your not an idiot Deutsche! You are just learning like the rest of us at one time, when we started in this hobby. Failure is wisdom gained.
I bought a handful of SS medals at a Fleamarket 20 years back and I was told by the guy at the table "It was from an old German man in a wheelchair"!! I took them to a Max Show and I learned the truth. They were not worth a can of soda! If you cant get your money back ( dont be surprised ) use this knife as a reference of study of what HJ repro-junk looks like. Hang on to it IMO. My HJ-repro is a great camping knife wink You came to the right place. Best Larry
Posted By: crowbak Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/11/2010 07:22 PM
You bought the story but he sold you a dagger.
Posted By: Ian Hayes Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/11/2010 09:53 PM
Ihave been fooled alot by badges. Lakesidetrader has a great website and is a nice fellow. I like collecting beat up well used hj knives! not too expensive but fun to find. Good luck, Ian.
Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) Re: My first HJ Dagger - 07/12/2010 01:12 PM
Ian,

Even with "beaters" you must be carefull nowadays!
Last month, I attended the "La Gleize" fair, in the Ardennes here in Belgium. One guy was selling relics that "he had found in the batlle ground". He also offered an HJ knife... When I checked it out, it appeared to be an obvious fake: the diamond and the grip plates revealed it to me... So the guy must have barried fake items and have let them rust in the soil for quite some time... now offireng them as war relics! Unbelieveble how inventive the crooks are to make people pay for pure junk...

Best greetings,

Herman
© Your new forums