GDC#o238

Description: SCHAAFF hj trans
Attached picture SCHAAFF_hj_trans.jpg
Posted By: blairbunker Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/16/2008 11:11 PM
SCHAAFF hj motto

Description: SCHAAFF hj motto
Attached picture SCHAAFF_hj_motto.jpg
Posted By: blairbunker Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/16/2008 11:19 PM
Sweet? Huh? Acquired Southaven MS gun show!
blairbunker
GDC#o238 (GOLD)

Description: SCHAAFF hj all
Attached picture SCHAAFF_hj_all.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/17/2008 05:25 PM
SWEET Wink Congrats Big Grin....Regards Scott.
Posted By: blairbunker Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/18/2008 12:22 AM
Thanks Scott; had to get the wife to stand there and hold it while I went to the ATM for the $200!!!!!

Attached picture 008.jpg
Posted By: Ruski Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/18/2008 12:24 AM
Nice example! Great price too - well done!

Regards
Russ
Posted By: Anonymous Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/18/2008 11:19 AM
quote:
Originally posted by blairbunker:
Thanks Scott; had to get the wife to stand there and hold it while I went to the ATM for the $200!!!!!
You done well there for $200 WinkCongrats.....Scott.
Posted By: Herman V. (aka Herr Mann) Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/19/2008 02:01 PM
Very nice knife and a good deal it is!

Congratulations!

Herman
Posted By: blairbunker Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/20/2008 03:22 PM
Look at the Scabbard and you will see just the remnants of the once extensive rust!
I’m of the belief that RUST is a continuous issue that in time leads to total destruction!
What to do? Scraping , and sanding is out of the question; waxing only stops the progression temporally!?!?!? Removing the rust with naval jelly or other strong chemicals will also remove the existing paint! Sooo….. My solution (emphasis on MY) is a gun cleaning product called Blue wonder at about $9 a tube. Don’t get me wrong it is NOT easy or instantaneous! The rust on this scabbard was thick and flaking and at about 80 or 90%.

Carefully very carefully so as not to apply any Blue wonder to the leather I put a liberal amount on the surface and waited the prescribed time, then carefully WIPED the Blue wonder off, then brushed lightly with a tooth brush; repeat 6 or 8 times! Did all the rust come off? NO but not to despair! Next is to repeat all this but this time around, carefully and while the Blue wonder is in place apply gentle GENTLE even rocking back and forth GENTLE GENTLE crushing type pressure with the back of a small spoon. Gently covering all areas over a period of an hour or so, then carefully wipe the Blue wonder and residue away and brush with a tooth brush. This is the most severe part of the conservation, and I guess that I lost about 2% more of the existing original but otherwise loose paint during this stage!?!?! Repeat this method as many times as needed (my case 5 or 6 times) until you are satisfied that the majority of the rust is removed! I’m satisfied with the outcome on my SCHAAFF hj and consider the condition of the scabbard to be commensurate with the overall condition of the knife.
So there you have it. I AM NOT ADVISING THAT YOU TRY THIS METHOD ON YOUR ARTIFACTS, it is just the way I roll and I would be interested to know if there is/are any other or recognized conservation methods for removing or arresting rust on Third Reich dagger scabbards? Phew!
Thank you THANKYOUVERYMUCH
John aka blairbunker Gold GDC#o238
Posted By: Ruski Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/20/2008 06:22 PM
Interesting Blair - can you show us the finished result?

Regards
Russ
Posted By: blairbunker Re: in Your Pipe and - 11/21/2008 02:52 AM
quote:
SCHAAFF

See above photos! One in the same!
used this technique on this very SCHAAFF hj…
Thanks
John
© Your new forums