UBB.threads
Posted By: Larry C 2nd model Naval question - 01/15/2010 01:54 AM
I am not really knowledgeable on Naval daggers, i have a WKC with a fowled anchor motif. Close to the edge of the ricasso panel, there looks to be dual image of a Dog or Bat, or a Gargoyle!! What is it? Why was this put on the Fowled anchor blade and not the Sailing Ship blade. What meaning does it have if any?? I have had this dagger for years and now I am seeing it for the first time! Strange how we turn a diamond to give you a different sparkle. I looked in TWs naval reference and did not see any info, then again collecting Navals is not on the top of my list. Except if she is single!! Wink Best regards Larry
Posted By: wotan Re: 2nd model Naval question - 01/15/2010 01:07 PM
I think you refer to the fish (delphines) etching?
Otherwise a photograph would help.
If it is this certain etching, it�s just the way they did come, fouled anchor with delphines, sailing boat without them. This for sure is just a kind of taste and tradition and does have no deeper sense.
Regards,

Attached picture Delphines.JPG
Posted By: vicdiehl Re: 2nd model Naval question - 01/15/2010 02:29 PM
The dolphins have a long maritime tradition and have been associated with "safe passage home" for centuries.
Posted By: Larry C Re: 2nd model Naval question - 01/16/2010 01:45 AM
The first thing i will buy with my tax return is a digital camera and then I can post some photos. Yes that is the etching I speak of.
© Your new forums