UBB.threads
Posted By: Cevin Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 01:03 AM
Hello, this was recently inherited. Trying to figure out if it is real and we should take care of it, or a fake. It was along with 3 other knives in a shadow box in the attic for many years. Thank you!

Attached picture IMG-6501.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6502.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6499.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6500.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6503.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 02:19 AM
I am a little leery of the etch.

John
Posted By: Cevin Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 02:52 AM
Thanks, I took more pictures with and without flash of the etching. Is that helpful?

Attached picture IMG-6518.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6519.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6520.JPG
Attached picture IMG-6521.JPG
Posted By: Vern Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 04:21 PM
My understanding is that etched blades without leaves under the eagle are post war.
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 04:32 PM
I’m with John on this one, I don’t like it at all. A lot of people will quibble with an etched Luft by Carl Julius Krebs but they definitely produced etched 2nd model Luft daggers. I own one and I know John owns one as well.

The etch on this one has the eagle more resembling a seagull. The few period Krebs examples I’ve seen that had a Voos etch. I would add the grip to ferrule fit is poor for a special order extra expense item and the grip wire is not consistent with what I’ve seen on Krebs Luft daggers.
Posted By: wotan Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 07:03 PM
Hello, personally would not condemn this dagger/blade too fast. First I have learned from several advanced collectors that there did exist Luft and Army daggers with edched blades without the twigs under the eagle. But I know too few about the special features.
What I can see is that the mm is stamped which generally is mostly a good sign. The etch seems to be different from the VOOS etching. The pics do not show the eagle very well but, yes, it seems to be the "Gonzo"-type which is mostly a bod sign.
So in this case mho is that to classify the dagger/blade it needs a true expert on KREBS daggers and/or etched blades.
Regards,
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 07:44 PM
Wotan,

An excellent point about the stamped Krebs logo, however easily explained. I believe mark to be period, although I’m of the opinion the etch was added decades later.
Posted By: Cevin Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 07:47 PM
Thank you for all for the information. I will try to take a better picture. Who knew how hard it would be to take a picture of a knife. I do agree that the eagle's beak looks odd...I think the gonzo comment is spot on.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 07:49 PM
I don't like the eagle.

Why would Krebs buy Voos style etches and another different pattern?

Not one for me.

Here is what Krebs etch looks like.

John

Attached picture Obverse Etch.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Etch Front.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Etch Mid Eagle.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Etch Rear.JPG
Attached picture TM Small Single Oval.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch Front.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch Mid.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Etch Rear.JPG
Posted By: Cevin Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 08:05 PM
Here is the eagle - close up.

Attached picture IMG-6524.JPG
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/26/2021 10:01 PM
Two things that jump out, the hooked nose appearance of the eagle’s beak as well as the lower swaz bleeding into the lower border. Not things I would be comfortable with.

John’s dagger shows a Voos style etch which is obviously different. While Wotan mentions that there may be a few originals of this style etch, the one most would be more comfortable with would be the Voos pattern.
Posted By: wotan Re: Inherited Luft. Real or Fake please? - 10/27/2021 04:21 PM
Hello, Jon Z´s KREBS is a wonderful specimen and answers for me all questions concerning the etching in question. Thank you for showing!
Regards,
© Your new forums