UBB.threads
Posted By: AndyBurton Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/15/2018 11:34 PM
Hi All,
Got this Luftwaffe 1st pattern a while ago please give any opinions you may have on it. I believe it is an early production type with solid nickel fittings and chain hanger, the only thing I can't figure out is the pommel firstly it's obviously had a knock at some time which has put it off centre and it is unmoveable though I haven't and won't try to force it I think this has bent the tang. Anyway the point I want to make is as an early type shouldn't the pommel centre be silvered brass disc insert with gilt swastikas I have seen early ones where the silver plate has worn away and the gilt but this leaves the swastikas and background raw brass coloured but on mine the gilt has gone but no sign of any brass could the pommel be a later one in alloy with the gilt worn but silver intact? The swastikas are gold/brass coloured on the crossguard but not the pommel is it right? though it matches all the other fittings in tone and it looks like it was bent a long time ago. Generally I like the dagger specially the condition of the leather though it is a bit dark now, I also think the whole piece has had a patina cleaned away at some point but that doesn't bother me personally. What do you think? Almost forgot to add the chain hangers have removable clips that I have seen before on an early Eickhorn and also a set in Whittmann's Luftwaffe book on page 58 which is one of the reasons I chose this dagger.
Cheers, Andy.

Attached picture 20181015_232438 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_232736 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_232846 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_232857 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_232940 - Copy.jpg
Posted By: AndyBurton Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/15/2018 11:35 PM
Some more photos.

Attached picture 20181015_233009 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_233044 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_233218 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_233427 - Copy.jpg
Attached picture 20181015_233613 - Copy.jpg
Posted By: AndyBurton Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/18/2018 10:37 PM
No opinions about the pommel then, or anything else?
Posted By: Vern Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/18/2018 10:44 PM
It's a very nice example of early Eickhorn production, but I believe that the pommel has been switched at some point in the past. The pommel and crossguard swazs normally match.
Posted By: AndyBurton Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/18/2018 11:31 PM
Hi Vern, Thanks for your reply would you have any ideas on what production period the pommel is - early Nickel, mid alloy ? Cheers, Andy.
Posted By: Vern Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/19/2018 01:18 AM
While the crossguard looks like the early production (attached swaz disk), the pommel looks like mid-period (nickel silver) or late (alloy) production where the swaz is part of the pommel and gold plated. The plating was not very durable and wore off on many examples. It could have been a transitional piece, or the pommel was swapped later.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/19/2018 02:24 PM
I have three Eickhorn 1st Lufts, and think that from first to last production, they are:

the earliest with the double oval maker mark and the raised swas on the pommel,
a waffen amp marked seated squirrel with the raised swas
a straight seated squirrel with the smooth swas

This one looks like the middle on to me.

Attached picture Obverse Grip.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Pommel.JPG
Attached picture TM Luft1.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Attached picture TM.JPG
Posted By: AndyBurton Re: Luft' 1st Eickhorn. - 10/19/2018 04:55 PM
Hi,
Thanks again Vern and John, I tend to agree mine does look like the middle photo you posted by John and answers my query as to it being nickel but no brass insert. So from what I can gather here it's looking like the pommel is a mid period nickel type with worn away gilding and the rest of the Dagger early production but is it likely that the pommel was always part of this dagger as the tone of the nickel and old patina left in the crevices all match totally maybe last of the early parts assembled with the next gen pommel used to complete it or is it more likely that the pommel is a replacement for the original. I know that's like asking "how long is a piece of string" and I suppose any guess is good as another here. I don't think it detracts from the overall desirability of this dagger and I am perfectly happy with it, so once again thanks for your time gentlemen.
Regards, Andy.
© Your new forums