UBB.threads
Posted By: michal199 heer dagger maker help - 08/05/2018 05:50 PM
hello
what do You think about the makwer of this unmarked dagger?is it real to determine the producer?can it be an oroginal piece?or maybe partly?any help apreciated
regards

Attached picture P8033380.JPG
Attached picture P8033381.JPG
Attached picture P8033369.JPG
Attached picture P8033368.JPG
Attached picture P8033371.JPG
Posted By: AndyBurton Re: heer dagger maker help - 08/06/2018 12:01 AM
Hi Michal,
Not brilliant photos but to me looks like a typical non maker marked late production/wartime economy Heer Dagger with generic type A crossguard, generic pommel and either white celluloid over wood core or plaster filled grip but could also be what is known as Galilith grip made from a type of Milk by product as yours looks a bit chalky as these do. The scabbard I believe is also generic type. This Dagger could have been made by lots of manufacturers I don't think it can be identified but there are much more knowledgeable collectors on this forum than I that may know or see something I don't. I have attached some photos of my very typical Late production Heer dagger with plaster filled white grip, generic A crossguard etc. blade non maker marked for you to compare yours with.
Regards, Andy.
PS: My photos aren't that good either but these were from the dealers site not taken by me, I will get round to photographing it properly sometime.

Attached picture 2749.jpg
Attached picture 2749a.jpg
Attached picture 2749b.jpg
Attached picture 2749g.jpg
Attached picture 2749i.jpg
Posted By: Schlange Re: heer dagger maker help - 08/06/2018 09:56 AM
These is generic type A Heer dagger but with few problems. Scabbard is not generic type A, and handle has strange fittings with pommel and ferrule.
IMO cleaned part dagger.

Schlange

https://mojalbum.com/schlange88

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916564

Posted By: AndyBurton Re: heer dagger maker help - 08/06/2018 03:59 PM
Hi,
Don't see what's wrong with the pommel or the ferule? and the scabbard is just a generic type I didn't know there was such thing as specific generic (type A) scabbards just generic scabbards and what makes it seem parts made up? some explanation might be helpful as to how you formed that judgement, apart from the bottom of the grip not being flush with the ferule. Just looks typical late Army to me, the pommel and ferule are exactly the same as mine and many other late armys.
Cheers, Andy.
Posted By: wotan Re: heer dagger maker help - 08/08/2018 10:26 AM
Hello, I see what Schlange is speaking about and he seems not to be wrong. On one hand, the original patination (the geyblue in the recesses seems to be the same on pommel, crossguard and scabbard. On the other hand the fit of the grip parts is not what I would expect even on late period manufactured daggers (perhaps it is only the assembling after disassambling, perhaps a lost washer, perhaps a wrong direction crossguard, who knows). Another fact which I think is noticable is the very long peak of the blade which imho is uncommon or is it in the pics?
Finally, we will not know for sure what has happened with/to the dagger, but I for myself would avoid such a dagger (NOT related on AndyBurtons dagger which seems to be a collectible, nice late manufactured one with a very homogeneous look!) for a serious collection.
Regards,
Posted By: AndyBurton Re: heer dagger maker help - 08/08/2018 03:23 PM
So there we have it a proper explanation of schlange's observations of this dagger from Wotan, I had noticed the grip fit as it's quite obvious but not the blade (I presume you are referring to the taper of the blade to the point being longer than normal?) it does look a bit different. Have attached a pic of the blade on mine for comparison which does seem to have a shorter taper to it.
Regards, Andy.

Attached picture 2749f.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: heer dagger maker help - 08/08/2018 08:57 PM
AndyBurton, yes I did refer to the taper of the blade. But as said, it might be in the pics.
Regards,
© Your new forums