UBB.threads
Posted By: Baz69 Distributor marks on Army daggers - 05/01/2018 01:58 PM
Do we have a list of distributor marks specifically seen on Army daggers only.

I have
William G?nther Dresden on an early Alcoso.
Anybody got any others , trying to put a list together.
So if you have can you let me know what distributor on what maker.

Gary

Attached picture 1 - 1.jpg
Attached picture 1 - 2.jpg
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 05/01/2018 10:14 PM
Gary:

I have 4 distributor marked Heers (all on Eickhorns, of course wink )

Durbeck, Wien
Gebr Meyer, Munster
H Mutz, Lingen
William Gunther, Dresden

All of them on the 35-41 seated squirrel marked Eicks.

John

Attached picture Obverse TM Durbeck Wien.JPG
Attached picture TM 35-41.JPG
Attached picture TM Gebr Meyer.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Distr H Mutz.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Distr William Gunther.JPG
Posted By: Vern Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 05/02/2018 12:03 AM
We have 145 Distributor Marks in the Maker/Distributor Mark Gallery in the GDC Reference Library. Unfortunately, they are not identified by type of dagger wink
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 05/02/2018 06:59 AM
Thanks John
So now we have
Durbeck, Wien on Eickhorn
Gebr Meyer, Munster on Eickhorn
H Mutz, Lingen on Eickhorn
William Gunther, Dresden on Eickhorn, Alcoso

Gary
Posted By: stingray Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 05/02/2018 10:38 PM
Beautiful and rare ,very early Alcoso Gary.
Did you find this beauty at a Kessel ?
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 05/03/2018 04:14 PM
Hi Ivan

No I found this piece at the last SOS show in February, it is indeed of the earliest vintage.

Cheers

Gary
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers A Kuhl - 02/07/2019 09:30 PM
Thanks to a tip from our very own Serge, a great friend and an awesome human being, I managed to find this distributor, A Kuhl of Munster-Essen, on a 35-41 maker marked Eickhorn Heer.

The hangers did not come with the dagger, but, thanks to Ivan, I put them on this piece.

So, here is my 5th distributor marked Eick.

John

Attached picture Obverse.JPG
Attached picture Reverse.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Hilt.JPG
Attached picture Reverse Hilt.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Tang.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Crossguard.JPG
Attached picture TM A Kuhl.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Pommel.JPG
Attached picture Obverse Grip.JPG
Posted By: Dave Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers A Kuhl - 02/07/2019 11:12 PM
Interesting, John,

That dagger has a tapered tang when most with that trademark have rat-tail tangs.

Thanks for posting.

Dave
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers A Kuhl - 02/08/2019 12:45 AM
I agree, definitely thought Eick would have moved away from the tapered tang before the '35-'41 mark came into use.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers A Kuhl - 02/08/2019 03:35 AM
I thought it weird as well, but there is nothing wrong with the blade or its markings.

Maybe, I should check my other distributor marked Eicks.

J
Posted By: wotan Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 02/08/2019 11:25 AM
There is a variant of DUERBECK s mark on a HOELLER dagger. For me a singn that at least several distributor marks have been applied "in house" as the EICKHORN variant of the DUERBECK mark also comes on bajonets (with nickled blade) and could not be applied after assembling.
Our late member Ford Crews did find out that these interesting, after 1938 marked daggers have tapered tangs (I never have taken this dagger apart) and have a very distinct handciseling on the crossguard.
Regards,

Attached picture DUERBECK.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 02/08/2019 06:26 PM
Wotan:

I have looked at my five distributor marked Eickhorns.

All have the 35-41 seated squirrel mark.

Three have tapered tangs (the A Kuhl, the William Gunther and the H Mutz). The other two (and my distributor marked 2nd Luft) all have the stepped tang that we would expect on a 35-41 produced dagger.

Interesting.

John
Posted By: Gerrit1963 Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 02/11/2019 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by JohnZ
Wotan:

I have looked at my five distributor marked Eickhorns.

All have the 35-41 seated squirrel mark.

Three have tapered tangs (the A Kuhl, the William Gunther and the H Mutz). The other two (and my distributor marked 2nd Luft) all have the stepped tang that we would expect on a 35-41 produced dagger.

Interesting.

John

Hi John,

am I missing something here?
you say all have the 1935-41 eickhorn logo, and you would expect a shouldered tang on a 35-41 produced dagger?
Well initial production started in 1935 for the army daggers, and the tapered tang has been used at least up till the end of 1936.
The aluminium type 1 Eickhorn guard comes with this 1935-41 logo, so they abandoned the oval logo very early after their first initial slants with type 1 guard.

Ger
Posted By: dr73 Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers - 04/21/2019 02:52 PM
I agree with Ger. The 1935-1941 has been used in combination with a tapered tang many times. Interesting is that in the early stage of production the type 2 Eickhorn crossguard has been seen with the first trademark (double oval) as well as the second trademark (the well known 1935-1941 logo).

Regards
Danny
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers P Kolb - 10/17/2019 07:06 PM
Just in (after some discussions with Canada Customs resulting in a $14 duty and customs clearance fee) is this Eickhorn Heer with the 35-41 seated squirrel TM and the Peter Kolb Amberg distributor mark.

Up to seeing this dagger on Tom Wittmann's site, I had only seen the Peter Kolb distributor mark on dress bayonets.

Enjoy,

John

Attached picture Distr Peter Kolb Amberg.JPG
Attached picture TM Eick 35-41.JPG
Posted By: Gerrit1963 Re: Distributor marks on Army daggers P Kolb - 10/18/2019 06:35 AM
A beautiful addition to your collection John.
When i saw that one i knew it should be in your collection, glad you could work it out.

Ger
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army Franz Spangemacher - 08/19/2020 12:32 AM
Thanks to my friend Janos, this new distributor marked Eickhorn Heer just arrived in Canada.

It has early fittings, a tapered tang, the 35-41 etched seated squirrel maker mark and a brand new, to me, distributor, Franz Spangemacher of Oldenburg.

Neat, eh?

John

Attached picture Obverse Crossfuard.JPG
Attached picture Spangemacher, Franz Oldenburg.JPG
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Distributor marks on Army Franz Spangemacher - 08/19/2020 05:47 AM
Never seen that distributor before, very nice, I wonder how many others are out there, not many I suspect. How many distributor marked army's does that make now mate.

Cheers

Gary
Congratz John, a lovely addition to your collection!
What makes this dagger even more interesting is the fact that its seems to have alluminium based fittings, on a type 2 i have never seen those before.
So far i only saw the all aluminium type 1 ( guard, pommel and scabbard) and the Alu type 1 one with the same scabbard like yours.

Great to see whats beneath the surface!

Ger
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army Franz Spangemacher - 08/19/2020 01:11 PM
Thanks, guys.

This is my 7th distributor marked Eickhorn Heer.

Joh
A great acquisition John. I don't think I've ever seen that distributor mark on any blade previously.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Distributor marks on Army Franz Spangemacher - 08/23/2020 08:22 PM
A different version of this distributor is found in Fisher.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Schebben W&L Aachen - 04/12/2021 07:06 PM
Not listed in my version of Fisher, Schebben in Aachen was a uniform shop and sold this Eickhorn Heer. Not taper tanged with a 35-41 seated squirrel maker mark, not 'textbook' Eickhorn either, but a fine addition to its sister dstributors.

Thank you fdodge.

Johnz

Attached picture Obverse Crossguard.JPG
Attached picture Distr Schebben, W&L.JPG
Posted By: Mikee Re: Schebben W&L Aachen - 04/13/2021 02:32 AM
Nice one Woah!
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Schebben W&L Aachen - 04/14/2021 12:54 AM
Great example John! I see what you mean about it not being “textbook” but it does seem to have that look of being together for a very long time. I like it.
Posted By: Dion Re: Schebben W&L Aachen - 01/04/2023 02:37 PM
Hey Guys,

I've been reading through this thread with great interest as I've just aquired my first Distributor marked army, and was wondering about something? Were distributor marked blades only on early daggers, or was this found to be the case throughout that period up to 42?
The reason for my question is because there has been alot of talk about tapered tangs which we all know went to the end of 36, and as far as I've seen, not many daggers, if any, are out there with distributor marks on later period daggers?

regards,

Dion
© Your new forums