UBB.threads
Posted By: Janos 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 09/23/2017 07:11 PM
gents,
I would like to share with you a 1st type Luftwaffe dagger made by Holler I've purchased recently.
It comes with an aluminium chain hanger, the plated blade is marked "F.W. Holler Solingen".
For me it looks OK, but I need your opinion: is it OK or not?

Janos

Attached picture Luft3.jpg
Attached picture Luft4.jpg
Attached picture Luft5.jpg
Attached picture Luft6.jpg
Attached picture Luft7.jpg
Posted By: Janos Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 09/23/2017 07:16 PM
The swastika doesn't look well on the reverse side of the crossguard, probably because of wearing. What do you think?

Attached picture Luft2.jpg
Attached picture Holler.jpg
Attached picture d.jpg
Attached picture c.jpg
Attached picture b.jpg
Posted By: Janos Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 09/23/2017 07:17 PM
More photos.

Attached picture a.jpg
Attached picture 1.jpg
Posted By: Kwakernaak Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 09/24/2017 09:33 PM
Looks ok to me Janos.
Posted By: Patrick69 Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 09/25/2017 06:49 PM
Looks good Janos. A good example of a mid-period 1st luft.
Posted By: Janos Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/09/2017 10:49 AM
Guys,
thank you for your contribution.
Janos
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/10/2017 06:26 PM
The chainset might be aluminum, but the aged appearance of the other fittings leads me to believe that it's probably late manufacture. Best Regards, Fred
Posted By: Janos Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/11/2017 06:26 PM
Fred,
you are right: the chains are aluminum, and the other fittings are not. Over all: is it OK?
Janos
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/11/2017 07:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Janos
Fred,
you are right: the chains are aluminum, and the other fittings are not. Over all: is it OK?
Janos

Janos, I don't see a problem with this dagger, with my comment directed to the most probable time period when I think it was manufactured. Best Regards, Fred
Posted By: Barry Brown Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/11/2017 09:42 PM
Here is a similar mid-period piece to yours, this one by Alcoso. Ali chain set and thicker scabbard throat than the early 1st Lufts.

Attached picture Resize of 2008-05-27 001.JPG
Attached picture Resize of 2008-05-27 003.JPG
Posted By: Barry Brown Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/11/2017 10:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Barry Brown
Here is a similar mid-period piece to yours, this one by Alcoso. Ali chain set and thicker scabbard throat than the early 1st Lufts.

Correction: thicker lower butt plate, not thicker throat.
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: 1st type Luftwaffe dagger by Holler - 10/11/2017 10:35 PM
Nickel silver, zinc, and then aluminum? From by perspective - aluminum which was needed by the Wehrmacht to build aircraft and other things that took precedence - is what prompted the switch to zinc from aluminum as a substitute for all sorts of products from not only Solingen, but from over all of Germany with insignia (etc. etc.) included as well. Believing that what I'm seeing is gray colored zinc peeking out from underneath the plating. Best Regards, Fred

Attached picture zinc hilt parts.jpg
© Your new forums