UBB.threads
Posted By: luca Heer dagger Zeitler - 04/14/2017 01:06 PM
Hi all and happy easter...i was offered to buy this army dagger marked Zeitler.i've only seen his trademark on luft daggers and boot knives...also i seem to see some "swirls" on the scabbard dot...do you think it's a legit piece?? Many thanks

Attached picture IMG-20170412-WA0019.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20170412-WA0023.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20170412-WA0024.jpg
Attached picture IMG-20170412-WA0019 (1).jpg
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 04/14/2017 02:32 PM
Luca:

I cannot speak to the scabbard, but that maker mark is a legitimate mark used by Zeitler on TR edged weapons.

It is one of the marks I have seen on Luft2s.

John
Posted By: wotan Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 04/15/2017 02:39 PM
Luca, the dagger seems to be a late production HERDER army (at least the crossguard is). Socalled "swirl pattern" scabbards have been produced during the period (late) and have been faked postwars. To me it looks like a period produced one (I think also used by HERDER) with the proper scabbard bands.
The exact ZEITLER mark is shown by TTW in his army book (erroneously ! as distributor mark).
The whole dagger looks homogeneous so to me it seems to be a legit, period produced (rare) ZEITLER army dagger but an in hand inspection for a final statement would be best.

BTW, my personal feeling is that you should at least mention that you have put the same question in another forum.

Regards,

Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 04/25/2017 03:07 AM
B generic scabbard is known to have swirls.. and this is a B gen.. Kevin.
Posted By: luca Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 05/03/2017 09:27 AM
oh i'm extremely sorry not to have mentioned that i posted in another forum...and thanks for help
Posted By: luca Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 05/03/2017 09:30 AM
If i'm not wrong Zeitler is one of the very few WWII german blade makers outside the Solingen/Suhl area
Posted By: Billy G. Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 05/03/2017 11:33 AM
Not only was Zeitler one of the few German blade makers outside the Solingen/Suhl area, Zeitler was outside Germany itself.
Posted By: wotan Re: Heer dagger Zeitler - 05/03/2017 12:05 PM
ZEITLER was a producer (NOT distributor) in Vienna/Austria (at these times "Ostmark" after annexation). The firm had itīs origin in the imperial Austria. After annexation it used mainly parts of other firms or generic parts but -as research says- still did produce the heart of each edged weapon, the blade, in house.
Regards,
© Your new forums