UBB.threads
Posted By: all1knew Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/23/2014 01:20 AM
Hello all,

Picked this one up (off a Klaas with a relic blade) and some believe it to be a postwar produced Horster piece, any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

William Kramer

Attached picture IMG_5444.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5447.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5450.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5441.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5443.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5449.JPG
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/23/2014 03:43 AM
Looks like a typical Generic 'B' cross guard imo
Posted By: Oleg67 Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/23/2014 10:07 AM
I agree with Fitzer, it's a generic B crossguard.

Best,
Oleg.
Posted By: Degens Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/23/2014 10:57 AM
Post war from an early 60's repro...........

The tang hole and brushed base metal appearance are the giveaways for me!.

Attached picture pw1.jpg
Attached picture pw2.jpg
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/24/2014 03:53 AM
I have definately seen some repo 60's guards based on the Gen B..
degens, when you get a chance, would you put a legit "B" next to your fake example for comparison? Kevin.
Posted By: Oleg67 Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/24/2014 12:02 PM
Here my army dagger by Carl Julius Krebs with a Generic B.
Regards, Oleg.

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: Degens Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/24/2014 01:04 PM
Kevin,
As you know the Generic type B was a later cross-guard and 95% of them will have a tang hole cut or filed to accept a shouldered tang blade.
The one posted above has a machine punched perfectly rectangular clearance hole with no sign of filing or hand fitting, milled for a tapered tang blade which is over-sized, typical of the early 60's reproductions.

These copies are extremely convincing regarding the detailing of the eagle. The comparison original cross-guard is from a period Generic B Christianswerk matched with a tapered tang blade, also pictured is the over-sized tapered tang of the reproduction dagger.

Posted By: Landser Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/24/2014 09:10 PM
Now that really was educational. Have not come across that before but not (thankfully) had or handled a repro and generally speaking I am not a fan of daggers with generic parts. The one single factor that has deterred me from any etched blade heer daggers. Lovely blades married with awful fittings that are as exciting as a wet weekend in Bognor Regis.
Posted By: Rhidian Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/26/2014 08:06 AM
Thanks for the info, learned something new again

Cheers

Rhidian
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/26/2014 01:10 PM
Thanks you Degens, great comparison here! I see now just how oversized the tang opening is! Also easy to pick out the "flat" appearance of the silvered finish..

Landser, LOL! I feel the same way about the etched Heer's, All I can think is, "how many great early hand enhanced Heer's can I get for the $$ they are asking for this thing??" crazy Kevin.
Posted By: Flyingdutchman Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/27/2014 06:21 PM
... educational post, Degens, thank you.

Best; Hermann
Posted By: all1knew Re: Heer army Officer's cross guard - 05/28/2014 01:24 AM
would like to thank Degens for the help with this one and to all that gave feedback. To show what the underside looks like for reference I am adding these photos. I really appreciate the help, all!

William Kramer

Attached picture IMG_7100.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7101.JPG
© Your new forums