UBB.threads
Posted By: Rhidian Klass crossguard - 04/22/2014 12:28 PM
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have been reading a lot of past threads. I've picked up a few army daggers and have the chance to purchase this klass army dagger, I only saved the photo of the crossguard but would like to know if this type is an accepted variant for this maker?

Cheers

Rhidian

Attached picture image.jpg
Posted By: wotan Re: Klass crossguard - 04/22/2014 01:09 PM
Although you already did post before first let me welcome you to the forum!
What you do show us here seems for me to be a legit early KLAAS crossguard variant. A lot of hand enhancement on the wings and the eagle´s chest. Also it looks like there is very nice untouched patination.
Will you please show us the whole dagger?
Regards,
Posted By: Degens Re: Klass crossguard - 04/22/2014 01:11 PM
Very interesting dagger and a rare variation cross-guard. Only a handful of daggers bearing this particular pattern are known as far as I am aware and the others are all fitted to Voos marked early army daggers.
I have always leaned towards Klaas manufacture on 1st appearances and it is great to finally have one turn up maker marked to a company other than Voos.

Do you know if the scabbard has asterisks stamped onto the scabbard bands ( unique Klaas trait )?.
It is a very rare cross-guard and one that I would be happy to add to my collection.
There are a couple of members here who are also lucky enough to own this cross-guard and will appreciate seeing this piece.

welcome to the forum.
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Klass crossguard - 04/22/2014 01:13 PM
That’s a very rare crossguard only recently discovered and classified at this point as unattributed. I have only seen this guard on Emil Voos I have two on my site you can compare yours to. If your Klaas was textbook in other respects and the finish all matched I would take another look at it. This guard is so rare it’s unlikely it was married to this dagger.
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Klass crossguard - 04/22/2014 01:19 PM
Seems Wotan - Jon and I all were typing and posting replies at the same time!
Posted By: Rhidian Re: Klass crossguard - 04/22/2014 01:39 PM
Thanks for the quick reply's, I havnt got the dagger in hand yet and its the only photo I saved before he removed it from his site. I will take some more photos when it arrives. I wasn't sure if it was ok as I'd seen they only came on voos daggers.
The scabbard bands are stamped with the asterisk.

Cheers

Rhidian
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Klass crossguard - 04/23/2014 09:25 PM
Very interesting one here..scabbard band looks very Klaas for sure. Look forward to seeing more! Handwork to the beak and eye is very "Klaas" also..very like the treatment used on the Klaas second guard! Very interesting..could we have yet another early generic guard?? Kevin.
Posted By: Rhidian Re: Klass crossguard - 05/09/2014 05:46 PM
Hi

The daggers arrived and I've taken some photos, sorry they are not the best but I have not got the hang of it yet. If you need any more pics let me know.

Cheers

Rhidian

Attached picture libby 036.jpg
Attached picture libby 039.jpg
Attached picture libby 033.jpg
Attached picture libby 043.jpg
Attached picture libby 037.jpg
Posted By: Rhidian Re: Klass crossguard - 05/09/2014 05:48 PM
Last to pics, cheers.

Attached picture libby 046.jpg
Attached picture libby 047.jpg
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Klass crossguard - 05/09/2014 09:06 PM
I like it ! Very rare crossguard.
Posted By: Rhidian Re: Klass crossguard - 05/12/2014 01:58 PM
Thanks Tom for the comments, happy to know its all ok

Cheers

Rhidian
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Klass crossguard - 05/13/2014 10:05 PM
My pleasure - You get tired of it I would have it in my collection any day !
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Klass crossguard - 05/13/2014 10:23 PM
Really great looking heer! Rare variation!! I agree that it just looks "right", like this one Rhidian!! Kevin.
Posted By: Rhidian Re: Klass crossguard - 05/14/2014 02:55 PM
Thanks again Kevin and Tom, I have a couple more armies to post when I get round to taking some photos.

Cheers

Rhidian
© Your new forums