UBB.threads
Posted By: HenrikKH Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/09/2013 10:13 PM

Hi Guys

I really need some input on this grip.

Does any of you have a 2nd luft or army dagger from Eickhorn with trolon ends?

Regards Henrik

Attached picture P1690001.jpg
Attached picture P1690002.jpg
Attached picture P1690004.jpg
Attached picture P1690005.jpg
Attached picture P1690006.jpg
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 01:22 AM
Did you test to see if this genuine ivory? IMO this appears to be one of those 'simulated' ivory grips you sometimes see especially on 2nd Lufts. It would make sense that the trolon insert has coloured over time while the simulated ivory (consisting of a different substance configuration) has stayed constant. I say this because the simulated ivory grip I had on an fairly early 2nd Luft had not changed colour.
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 01:48 AM
Imho no need to test and do any harm to an otherwise nice ivory grip. This is the absolutely correct configuration for a period EICKHORN true ivory grip!
Most of these rare grips from EICKHORN are done exactly this way (I think to spare the rare material) and only few, which have a slightly different form, also have ivory ends.
Regards,
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 03:41 AM
Wow, interesting grip..never seen one with core like this! Kevin.
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 04:11 AM
Here's my simulated ivory grip for comparison. Looks very similar with the ivory type grain.

Attached picture eBay3small.jpg
Posted By: HenrikKH Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 09:38 AM

Thank you Wotan, that's what I like to hear :-)

I'll make pics. to show here later.

Henrik
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 02:32 PM
I certainly learned something! Thanks Wotan.
Posted By: Jim W Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 02:55 PM
I was totally convinced this was synthetic ivory.
Thank you guys.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 04:57 PM
Wotan:

I have several ivory gripped daggers in my collection, one is an Eickhorn Heer, and none of them exhibit this trolon end configuration. And, over the years, as the odd Eickhorn ivory gripped dagger has appeared to me, I have never seen this configuration.

And, this is the first time that I have heard of an Eickhorn two part ivory grip.

Do you have any links or sources for this assertion?

Don't get me wrong, I am the last one to say 'never', but this is a new fact for any Eickhorn collector, like me. And, I am certainly not challenging your statement, only asking for more proof.

John
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 07:19 PM
seems like a lot of work to me to hollow out a piece of ivory (to save material ?)and put another material inside .My ivory rip Army is ivory thru n thru I removed the pommel and test for ivory when I bought it. As John said never say never. Also my Army is a no M/M
Posted By: HenrikKH Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 07:46 PM

Here more pics.

Henrik

Attached picture P1680839.JPG
Attached picture P1680836.JPG
Attached picture P1680837.JPG
Attached picture P1680846.JPG
Posted By: HenrikKH Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 07:49 PM

They did not hollow out the inside... Only ends rew made of Trolon.
Perhaps it was to save ivory? Man-hour was cheap at the time, and ivory expensive.

Henrik

Originally Posted By: Ed Martin
seems like a lot of work to me to hollow out a piece of ivory (to save material ?)and put another material inside .My ivory rip Army is ivory thru n thru I removed the pommel and test for ivory when I bought it. As John said never say never. Also my Army is a no M/M
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 08:45 PM
Believe me, I am not very happy that this little secret is disclosed here in public. As you see there are very very few collectors who know this fact and under certain circumstances it is a sure fact that an EICKHORN ivory grip is true ivory and period done.
As ivory grips for EICKHORN daggers are rare and not each one will be disambled the fact up to now remained nearly unknown.
Here is an EICKHORN ivory grip, once shown by our member janjan in 2007 and my personal one (I will not disamble my dagger as I once have done it and have seen the grip) has exactly the same configuration. I have seen one more personally.
I have seen other period ivory grips used by other firms and no other one has had this configuration.
Imho it for sure was to save material, nearly about 1,5 centimeters each grip which would be otherwise hidden by the grip ring and the pommel cap (so not necessary ivory) 7-9 grips will save one additional grip of rare material.
Regards,

Attached picture ivory janjan.JPG
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 08:48 PM
Forgot to add: Artificial ivory grips -up to now- are never with these trolon ends (because why? - it was not necessary to save the artificial material).
Regards,
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/10/2013 08:51 PM
One additional fact: all EICKHORN army daggers I have seen with these grips (they are already to be recognized from putside because they do resemble the "normal" EICKHORN army grip best) do have the smaller stamped trademark.
Regards,
Posted By: stratocaster3 Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 01:39 AM
Interesting. I have ivory gripped navies from the same period ( they are Eickhorn and WKC) and they both are ivory through and through just like imperial navy pieces. Also, their surface has a vitreous luster, not semi gloss like artificial ivory. Further, all of the real ivory grips show the grain in the grip to differ, that is differential growth rates results in a varying size of the fine layers in the ivory. Lastly, all real ivory grips I have show some level of shrinkage over the years resulting in the fine age lines we often see. Anyone else with a confirmed ivory gipped piece observe the same?

Best...
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 01:46 AM
This is a great discussion. First of all, I have no doubt the grip is period and authentic but I'm still convinced this is simulated ivory:

1) There is no 'ivory' age to this piece (i.e cracks, striations, yellowing). It also has a 'soft' look to it around the edges.
2) It too closely resembles simulated ivory grips with the same type of uniform deep grain but no other ivory characteristics per #1
3) As Ed Martin and Stratocaster state most ivory grips are ivory throughout. Bonding the trolon insert to ivory seems very risky given the brittle nature and changing/shrinking composition of ivory over time.
4) Because the trolon insert has remained intact and well fitted,IMO it has been bonded with some other simulated substance; and if you look at the top trolon piece it hasn't been inserted but rather bonded to the surface.
5) At one time the trolon insert and grip matched. Unlike trolon and most ivory, simulated ivory grips don't change colour over time.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Tell-if-I...10311348/g.html

Posted By: Grumpy Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 01:54 AM
Just on looks alone it is simulated ivory. A nice example, but the cost of the real thing is significantly higher and adds appreciably more value to a dagger.
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 11:45 AM
Sorry guys, there is not the least doubt, These are ORIGINAL IVORY grips. I do HAVE mine with the same configuration IN HANDS and I know what real ivory is and know the difference to artificial ivory.
Regards,
Posted By: HenrikKH Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 04:55 PM
Thanks Wotan for keep backing me up on this grip :-)

Real Ivory must be a lot heavier than plaster filled Celluloid?

Henrik
Posted By: Jim W Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 04:59 PM
It seems to me that the truth here is easily ascertained.
Henrik, why not heat up a needle until it is red and press it against the grip. If Ivory, no indentation or mark. If synthetic, the needle will tell you.

I see no reason to even discuss it further until someone does this simple test.
Just my opinion.
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 08:51 PM
Henrik, you are right, this is an additional fact, you immediately recognize a disambled grip because of it´s weight.

@ Jim W, a glowing needl against an ivory grip.... You might do it, I will NOT do it.

You all can believe me that true ivory is distinctive for the experienced collector. And what I said about this certain grip is NO assumption but knowledge. You can take it or leave it, from my side all is said concerning the grip in question.

But I make an offer: I buy EVERY Eickhorn army with this grip configuration for the price of a common Eickhorn army.
Regards,
Posted By: Jim W Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 09:58 PM
Wotan, every collector here is willing to pay the price of a regular army gripped dagger for a synthetic army gripped dagger. The synthetic grips bring a premium, so your offer is nonsense.
As to me putting a hot needle against my synthetic grip that looks on the outside like this one, why would I do that. I know my grip is synthetic. And this comes from a collector with numerous German and non German ivory grips.

The only way Henrik will know for sure is to have the grip tested.
Posted By: Flyingdutchman Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/11/2013 10:50 PM
Gentlemen,

a German dealer offers the same configuration on an Eickhorn dagger, claiming that the "Bakelite" supported grip is genuine ivory.

https://www.weitze.net/detail/59/Wehrmacht_Heer_WH_Dolch_fuer_Offiziere__148259.html
Best;
Flyingdutchman
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 12:08 AM
looks like a winner..
Posted By: Grumpy Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 12:57 AM
If you put genuine ivory under black light, you will see a faint glow. I don't know what you get with a simulated example, but my guess is it will not glow.
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 01:38 AM
Knowledge is one thing but fact is another. Per Jim W; because of all the speculation here, it should be tested
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 01:56 AM
I certainly wouldn’t put a hot pin in my grip that’s Ridiculous to even ask someone to do that. Wotan is no beginner I am confident he can tell the difference....This is getting quite silly. We should be fortunate he shared this information with us I thank him for that.
Posted By: Ed Martin Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 02:55 AM
When testing with the needle u usually do it under the pommel area or under the cross guard area. I certain wouldn't do it on the grip surface.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 03:22 AM
The one on Weitze's site doesn't fit the criteria that Wotan was talking about.

John
Posted By: Degens Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 03:27 AM
I have seen and held numerous simulated ivory grips, and all had either a plaster or wood core. Does anybody have a solid simulated ivory grip they can post pictures of please?.

Great info Wotan btw !
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 03:37 AM
John good point - I think the key info is Wotan stated he has seen this grip variation in combination with the small stamped mark so that tells me this is a later grip configuration
adopted Post 1940-41

Originally Posted By: JohnZ
The one on Weitze's site doesn't fit the criteria that Wotan was talking about.

John
Posted By: Baz69 Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 09:28 AM
I own over 70 edged weapons with Ivory grips! the example shown by Henrik and Wotan are genuine Ivory,
There are times when it is difficult to tell but in these two cases it is not.

Gary
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/12/2013 09:06 PM
This is were( EXPERIENCE ) comes to play... I did the old hot needle thing 30+ years ago ( ONCE ) To me it is a amateur hour type of thing to do.I have seen some nice things marked (ruined) by (THIS) test.. I can tell ivory by feel and look (easy).. But this is after doing many repairs and making replacement parts in bone, ivory and mammoth ivory on instruments and (other wink ) items.. Now as far as is this grip Ivory?? It more than likely is (after what Gary has said)and you sure as heck do not have to but a hot needle on it to prove it.Regards: James
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/13/2013 01:47 AM
One other thought - For me this grip reinforces the theory that all grips started white and overtime transformed into the various shades of yellow - orange & red we appreciate today.
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/13/2013 02:39 AM
Yes you are correct about grips changing color over time but not all were white in color when made... Here is a page from a original Solingen catalog...Yes I know this has been hashed over many times but this to me is very strong evidence on this touchy subject. Very hard to argue with original source documents. Regards: James

Attached picture phptrdxZPPM.jpg
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/13/2013 04:36 AM
James is that the SMF catalog ?
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/13/2013 03:29 PM
Yes. And no they did not color the handle because the SMF wanted to.... Everything in the catalog I believe is correct.

Attached picture phpi9GZ4RAM.jpg
Attached picture phpi9GZ4RAM.jpg
Posted By: DAMAST Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/13/2013 06:57 PM
LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE IS POSTING SOMETHING ON ALL OF THE DIFFERENT FORUM POSTS SITES AND SHUTTING THINGS DOWN !!
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/13/2013 07:51 PM
I had a simulated Ivory grip on a WKC Luft, sold it but still have pics,would post them if anyone wants to see but looked just like the one Fitzer posted on page 1, plaster core..Kevin.
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/14/2013 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: DAMAST
LOOKS LIKE SOMEONE IS POSTING SOMETHING ON ALL OF THE DIFFERENT FORUM POSTS SITES AND SHUTTING THINGS DOWN !!

DAMAST, I did ask Vern already concerning this. Vern: That user is a spammer. He and his posts were deleted, and all references will disappear when the forum index reloads.

Regards,
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/14/2013 12:58 AM
Originally Posted By: Degens
I have seen and held numerous simulated ivory grips, and all had either a plaster or wood core. Does anybody have a solid simulated ivory grip they can post pictures of please?.

Great info Wotan btw !

Degens, thank you!

Yes, there were/are also solid simulated ivory grips but they are relatively simple to recognize even from outside, without disassembling. They do have much more constant ivory-grain than real ivory has. That is because of the kind how these grips were manufactured, not comparable to natural grown ivory.
Regards,
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 12/14/2013 01:10 AM
Originally Posted By: WW2-Collector
I certainly wouldn’t put a hot pin in my grip that’s Ridiculous to even ask someone to do that. Wotan is no beginner I am confident he can tell the difference....This is getting quite silly. We should be fortunate he shared this information with us I thank him for that.

No need to thank me but I do thank you very much for your support!

Up to Weitze´s dagger, as said, all These daggers with this grip configuration I own or had seen have (had) the small stamped squirrel mark. Naturally this is no hard fact that it is impossible that another mark could occur, like it now has happened. I did only mention the small mark because commonly this mark is looked at as a late mark and the production of a true ivory grip would be uncommon for those late times but there must be at least a small series.

I want to add that these certain grips are of best quality ivory, mine does show only the slightest age cracking, has a kind of polished surface and as already mentioned does resemble the form of the "normal" EICKHORN army dagger grip best.

Regards,
Posted By: all1knew Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/11/2015 09:10 PM
Here are some photos of what I believe to be a simulated ivory grip.

William Kramer

Attached picture IMG_7441.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7443.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7444.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7445.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7447.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7448.JPG
Attached picture IMG_7446.JPG
Posted By: Seiler Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/12/2015 11:08 AM
Plaster filled Trolon.Seiler
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/12/2015 09:30 PM
Sorry, no Trolon but Celluloid - plaster filled.
Regards,
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/12/2015 09:39 PM
BTW you have a "living" grip sick......

Attached picture z.JPG
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/12/2015 11:42 PM
Omg. I thought that was what I was seeing. Nice diagram of the play there, Wotan.
Posted By: stingray Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/13/2015 12:18 AM
grin
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/13/2015 06:23 PM
WOW, that a first for me.. dagger grip with an infestation...!! Kevin.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/13/2015 07:07 PM
But, is the infestation period or was it post war added?

This is very important. wink

John
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/13/2015 10:32 PM
If the worm is 70+ years old (what I dare to doubt) it is period, otherwise it´s a postwar added exemplar.

grin

Regards,
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/14/2015 01:06 AM
Very interesting worms! We like to drink them with our tequila here in Texas!
Posted By: wotan Re: Ivory grip for Eickhorn Army - 03/15/2015 10:47 AM
Originally Posted By: WW2-Collector
Very interesting worms! We like to drink them with our tequila here in Texas!

So check your plaster filled grips! Perhaps you gain some Tequilas today?

grin grin grin

Regards,
© Your new forums