UBB.threads
Posted By: WW2-Collector SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/22/2012 12:03 AM
This is the first of two SMF slant grip army daggers I picked up at the Max show. A text book SMF with typical plate lifting to the lightweight base metal they typically used. The slant grip is a nice yellow color – blade is minty. Of particular interest is the scabbard rings they are quite large compared to the other two SMF army daggers that I own.

Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/22/2012 12:04 AM
The second example is also a text book SMF with the unique SMF bird on the crossguard. The slant grip is a deep orange color and a remnant of the original portepee is attached. This dagger also exhibits some plate lifting to the lightweight base metal - blade is nice with some minor spotting. Now what makes this dagger really special is a fantastic family crest engraved to the top of pommel. The crest features a knight’s helmet with a horse leaping through some sort of lyre? Quite unique and I plan on trying to research the dagger.

Posted By: Earl (Rick) Schreiber Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/22/2012 12:21 AM
Great photos...Great daggers.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/22/2012 03:48 AM
Great score, Tom!

John
Posted By: dr73 Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/22/2012 07:47 AM
It took me a few years finding just one! Congretulations. Both very beautiful daggers.

Danny
Posted By: Landser Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/22/2012 08:21 AM
Great pieces Tom, I also like those scabbard bands on the first one very much.
I never seriously sought one of these and have passed on the opportunity a couple of times
because of the light weight fittings that are often not good. Both of those have remained in
super condition and the blades are wonderful!

Big thumbs up!
Posted By: pvon Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/27/2012 11:33 PM
Some real lookers!

PVON
Posted By: Mikee Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/28/2012 07:10 AM
Very nice indeed and congrats! You sure can find them!
Posted By: mrfabulous Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/28/2012 12:51 PM
Tom, glad you got that one.
Super piece!
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: SMF Slant Grip Army Daggers - 10/28/2012 02:33 PM
Thanks all possible with a little help from my friends smile I certainly did not think I would be leaving the max with two SMF while not rare they certainly are not common.

Originally Posted By: mrfabulous
Tom, glad you got that one.
Super piece!
© Your new forums