UBB.threads
Posted By: stingray damascus army dagger - 09/01/2012 11:34 PM
Hey guys
I need help with this damascus Eickhorn army dagger.
Could be a real?

Thanks for the opinions

Stingray

Attached picture mini-damast 249.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 243.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 239.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 244.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 242.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 240.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 241.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 245.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 253.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 254.jpg
Posted By: stingray Re: damascus army dagger - 09/01/2012 11:35 PM
more

Attached picture mini-damast 255.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 246.jpg
Attached picture mini-damast 246.jpg
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: damascus army dagger - 09/02/2012 02:27 AM
Ivan my friend although the dagger is dressed in Eickhorn fittings I would proceed with caution early 35 maker mark with the type 4 late crossguard I would say with 95% certainty the blade is post war but I could be wrong as I don’t specialize in these types of blades.
Posted By: Baz69 Re: damascus army dagger - 09/02/2012 12:21 PM
The blade is etched damascus and not a true damascus.It wouldn't be for me.

Gary
Posted By: JohnZ Re: damascus army dagger - 09/04/2012 05:04 PM
Ivan:

Be very careful, here.

John
Posted By: Landser Re: damascus army dagger - 09/04/2012 07:16 PM
WW2 collector raises my own concern with this.
A dedication like this is in all probability post war with an etched damascus.
Not an authority but my gut say`s bad!
Posted By: stingray Re: damascus army dagger - 09/05/2012 02:24 AM
Thanks guys,you're save my (.)

Regards
Stingray
Posted By: spacey Re: damascus army dagger - 09/05/2012 05:49 AM
The lengths the fakers go to, taking a real item and adding to it to jack up the price and screw someone over.
It almost makes you want to stick with textbook examples at normal prices...
Posted By: A J Re: damascus army dagger - 09/05/2012 09:30 AM
Mine Throwing Infantry Regiment 75 is a big enough red flag for me without all the detail fitting stuff the army dagger experts have added above
Posted By: Kathy Re: damascus army dagger - 09/05/2012 11:49 PM
As dumb as I am about these things, it's a good think I didn't see this. . . (smile).
Posted By: Landser Re: damascus army dagger - 09/10/2012 06:10 PM
Originally Posted By: spacey
The lengths the fakers go to, taking a real item and adding to it to jack up the price and screw someone over.
It almost makes you want to stick with textbook examples at normal prices...

That would be "mortar" & not "mine throwing" but yes, it is a ficticious dedication on a fake etched damascus blade.

Textbook & regular is always the best way to go if for no other eason than it is a darn site easier to re-sell if you want to. If you spend mega-bucks on a right as rain dagger you have to consider if someone else is likely to throw that kind of money at it. there are a lot of dagger types missing from my collection, actually as many or more than I do have. I could probably buy a couple of them but stupid is as stupid does. That I leave to the few.
Posted By: dr73 Re: damascus army dagger - 09/10/2012 06:19 PM
I couldn't agree more. Only textbook for me!
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: damascus army dagger - 09/10/2012 06:43 PM
Originally Posted By: A J
Mine Throwing Infantry Regiment 75 is a big enough red flag for me without all the detail fitting stuff the army dagger experts have added above

smile smile smile

Right on!! I think that this dagger could be a serious contender for the most obvious fake of 2012 (although I suspect that it was made about 40 years earlier.) PS: A mortar I believe is known as a Granatwerfer, but I'm not claiming to be an expert in German or in their use of military terminology.

Fred
Posted By: A J Re: damascus army dagger - 09/10/2012 07:43 PM
Hi Fred Grenatenwerfer is grenade thrower and Landser I believe Mortar is Mortel but then I only have schoolboy Deutsch to A level standard 45 years ago
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: damascus army dagger - 09/10/2012 10:13 PM
Hello A J, smile

Granate I think in this context translates to shell (ie: one filled with an explosive). With Granatwerfer a mortar, or sometimes a gunner (as in a squad). And Mörtel a building material. But like I said I'm not a native German speaker.

Best Regards, Fred

Posted By: A J Re: damascus army dagger - 09/12/2012 12:11 AM
So Fred over examination again WGAF its A fake GOMC
Posted By: Fred Prinz - FP Re: damascus army dagger - 09/12/2012 01:32 AM
Originally Posted By: A J
So Fred over examination again WGAF its A fake GOMC

A J, Yes it's a fake. But "over examination"? With the irony (IMO) of this part of the discussion being that I agreed with you and backed you up in your first translation comment, with the mortar reference not directed to you. But not the second when you contradicted what I said (which BTW I still believe to be correct). So as we say over here take a little R&R, no offense was intended. Fred
Posted By: Grumpy Re: damascus army dagger - 09/12/2012 02:59 AM
There might be exceptions, but most, if not all, the Eickhorn blades on military daggers have the trademark inverted, unlike this one. I suppose most, if not all, Damascus and faux Damascus blades woulld have been contracted out, which could be a reason (or excuse) for the trademark to be placed as this one, but, for me, it's a red flag.
Posted By: A J Re: damascus army dagger - 09/12/2012 06:03 AM
Fred no offence meant or intended cheers Tony
© Your new forums