UBB.threads
Posted By: Dave Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/18/2012 10:11 PM
If you are looking for interesting high end Army daggers, some of Denny Roach's great daggers are being sold by Tom Wittmann:

http://www.wwiidaggers.com/DROACH.htm

They seem to be selling quickly, having been up only 2 days.

Happy collecting,
Dave
Posted By: Mikee Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/18/2012 10:47 PM
Denny was and is such a great help for us Army collectors, miss him not being here on the forum.
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 01:51 AM
Some GREAT ones on there. I too would love it if Denny returned to the forums!! Kevin.
Posted By: bgrelics Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 04:19 AM
I wonder is T. Whittman really selling armies for those prices $1,000 +. Great for Denny. I cannot sell Near mint or even mint armies for half of that price. Iam still scratching my head on those prices, who knows maybe the economy is getting better, or maybe it is the "name " that sells for those prices.
Thanks
Bob
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 05:09 AM
Tom is one of the few people in this hobby who can get those kinds of prices, methinks.

He has the reputation, the history and the personality to do this.

John
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 06:13 AM
Denny is a smart man..
Posted By: WWII Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 01:46 PM
Gentlemen,

Both great guys in my book, each has done his fair share to educate and encourage many of us for years and years.

I'm also glad to see that many of Denny's daggers have already been sold, it goes to prove that many of our fellow collectors have a keen eye for the rare and sublime, and are willing to pay extra for "the best of the best..."

Bill
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 05:47 PM
All I can say is that it is a good thing that Denny wasn't collecting 2nd Lufts, otherwise I would be lined up at the bank loans office right now.

John
Posted By: Mikee Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 07:11 PM
Although IMO the asking prices are extremely high and out of reach from most collectors. I'm very happy for Denny.

Just curious, what percentage of the profits do dealers receive off a sale for each dagger? Thanks

Posted By: JohnZ Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 08:32 PM
Mikee

I would be guessing, but it is an educated guess.

On purchased items, dealers look to make 40-60% of the selling price.

On consignment items, they would look for 10% (on large ticket items) - 30% on small items. I would hazard that, if these were consigned to Tom, Tom would want 15-20% of the selling price.

John
Posted By: Mikee Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 08:40 PM
John,

Thanks, could be part of the reason for the much higher asking price? Interesting.
Posted By: Dave Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/19/2012 11:39 PM
In general - I know nothing about this particular case - The asking price is pretty much set by the seller when he says "this is how much I need to get out this dagger". The dealer adds his percentage and there is the price. Some sellers unwisely try to get top full retail not counting the dealer's commission and that is why you see so many high priced items that linger a long time.

In this case, 6 of 19 daggers have sold in 3 days and they are the most expensive ones. Either really early, aluminum fittings or glass grips. Denny collected really great items and these are the kind of things that don't come on the market very often.

Dave
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/20/2012 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Dave Hohaus
In general - I know nothing about this particular case - The asking price is pretty much set by the seller when he says "this is how much I need to get out this dagger". The dealer adds his percentage and there is the price. Some sellers unwisely try to get top full retail not counting the dealer's commission and that is why you see so many high priced items that linger a long time.

In this case, 6 of 19 daggers have sold in 3 days and they are the most expensive ones. Either really early, aluminum fittings or glass grips. Denny collected really great items and these are the kind of things that don't come on the market very often.

Dave

Amen to that!!
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/21/2012 05:52 PM
Really great stuff always sells.
It's always expensive. Despite that one rarely can find the great stuff anymore. When it comes to market experienced guys know to jump on it!
Denny had a reputation as collecting the best of the best. He was a huge contributor to this forum and was the "go to" guy for may of us.
His contributions are missed. smile
Posted By: Landser Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/21/2012 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: Mikee
Although IMO the asking prices are extremely high and out of reach from most collectors. I'm very happy for Denny.

Just curious, what percentage of the profits do dealers receive off a sale for each dagger? Thanks

TW states in his terms and conditions that consignment fee is 20%. Actually pretty reasonable if you can get over market value on the back of his good reputation and exposure.

Posted By: Dave Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/22/2012 01:26 AM
These are the items that don't show up very often. Denny collected great items.

Dave
Posted By: patrice Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/24/2012 01:41 PM
For those looking for bargains, there are still 17 unsold daggers out of 23, hurry up they won't last. grin

Wittmann surely doesn't need to buy any Premium membership to sale his stuff, does he ? crazy
Posted By: Dave Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/24/2012 03:21 PM
Pat,

Tom Wittmann buys a banner ad from us each year and has done so for many years.

Everyone,

The dealers who buy a banner ad can have a free Premium Membership for the asking.

Dave
Posted By: patrice Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/24/2012 04:08 PM

Fair enought, proper business procedure. smile
Posted By: Landser Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/28/2012 08:31 AM
Originally Posted By: Pat
For those looking for bargains, there are still 17 unsold daggers out of 23, hurry up they won't last. grin

I think the goldrush is over.
Posted By: dr73 Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 05/28/2012 09:23 AM
I think you're right! smile
Posted By: blade Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 06/27/2012 02:21 AM
Saw the go daggers up for sale and tried to compare with the one i posted in misolanious daggers the other day. was told it was a pot belly repo, funny some of these up for sale have the same pot belly as mine check it out and let me no what u think guys
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 06/27/2012 04:38 AM
Not sure what this has to do with the Roach collection?
Posted By: blade Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 06/27/2012 11:42 PM
these were listed for sale on the whittman sight link in first post, i checked it out and started browsing through the various daggers for sale and the question poped into my head when i started observing the go daggers
Posted By: fdodge Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 07/07/2012 08:48 PM
I agree that both Denny and Tom are great guys.
In my personal experience though, Tom Wittmann's grading of daggers is a little ambitious.
Frank
Posted By: Roy Carroll Re: Denny Roach Collection on Sale - 07/10/2012 03:04 AM
Denny sure had good taste many of dennys best came from me over the years and i can assure you i never sold him a common one. I havnt talked to denny in awhile hope he is still in good health
© Your new forums