Attached picture IMG_5463.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5464.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5449.JPG
Posted By: Arm.leg. Re: Army Herder - 08/10/2011 06:11 PM
laugh

Attached picture IMG_5446.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5447.JPG
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Army Herder - 08/11/2011 02:41 AM
I can say the crossguard is an Eickhorn 3rd so not a text book Piece.
Posted By: Arm.leg. Re: Army Herder - 10/22/2011 08:50 AM
Hi !
Thanks for answer.
But, all parts original pre may 1945 right ?
Posted By: Landser Re: Army Herder - 10/22/2011 04:48 PM
All those fittings are original and the finish on them is equally toned and worn. Those parts look as though they have been together forever.
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Army Herder - 10/22/2011 10:24 PM
Maybe crossguard was replaced becouse original was denazified? Is pommel brass based? Generic scabbard, but not "B" type. See generic "B" fittings and scabbard alot on these Herders... Kevin.
Posted By: Arm.leg. Re: Army Herder - 10/23/2011 08:14 AM
Hi friends !!!
Thank you very much for your options.
Regards Anton
Posted By: Landser Re: Army Herder - 10/23/2011 02:59 PM
Firstly I must add that kevin is quite correct & it would be more usual to see a generic x guard on this dagger.

I may be wrong and this is just my opinion but I regard the Eickhorn 3rd in a similar way to the WKC 2nd for the following reasons. Both are fairly uncommon and were produced in small numbers before their respective producers quickly adopted another pattern. And, also I have seen and owned both the 3rd Eickhorn and the 2nd WKC on other manufacturers daggers. Actually I find from my own observation that I have seen the WKC 2nd more frequently on non WKC products. I even have an Eickhorn 3rd fitted to an unmarked dagger that was obviosly bu the configuration of components put together by a uniform and accoutrements distributor. It is only my consideration but I think that given our knowledge that larger manufacturers supplied smaller producers it is quite likely that when asked to supply x guards to them or the uniform suppliers that Eick & WKC offloaded their now obsolete 3rd`s and 2nd`s that they would not be using themselves. Like I said, just a theory?
Posted By: Kevin (heers68) Re: Army Herder - 10/23/2011 10:24 PM
All the parts do seem to have the dull silvery finish that is commonly seen on Herders. As Landser says,the variations do seem endless on these daggers. We all like to see the "norm" on these daggers but in the end these producers did what they had to to get orders out. They didn't care about being ultimately consistant, they had money to make! Kevin.
© Your new forums