UBB.threads
Posted By: jkpeterson Blade Placement - 10/28/2007 04:16 AM
Can anyone tell me which is the right way to display the makers mark on daggers that have Reich Eagle and Swastika that drop down from the cross guard. I have seen it both ways, what is preferred? I am new at this obsession so please if my terminology is wrong please forgive and correct me. Thank you
Posted By: steveh Re: Blade Placement - 10/28/2007 08:01 AM
hello, and welcome to the forum!!.

i assume you mean , whch side of the dagger does the maker mark show?, using a heer dagger as an example, as they are the most commonly found, the heer eagle and swastika, which `drop down` are the front of the dagger, which was worn on the left side of the wearer , so with the dagger in the scabbard, the suspension rings are to the top. the makers mark should be on the reverse side, the `plain` side of the crossguard.

hope this helps and that i`m not confusing you more!!.
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Blade Placement - 10/28/2007 02:03 PM
Most people would agree maker mark to the back. Sometimes you see the early slant gripped daggers with the mark in the front what is interesting is some of the earliest army’s for instance pack have the maker mark further down the blade perhaps these originally were placed to the front?
Posted By: jkpeterson Re: Blade Placement - 10/28/2007 05:54 PM
Thank you. That does help.
Posted By: wotan Re: Blade Placement - 10/29/2007 09:18 PM
I have seen them both ways comming from the former wearers itself or out of their families.
Just let them be as they are! In my opinion it is nothing concerned to any "agreement" or how it "should be" but to experience. And experience says to me IN THE PERIOD they were PRODUCED BOTH WAYS.
Regards,
© Your new forums