UBB.threads
Posted By: 777 Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/21/2007 11:08 PM
Some fellow collector bought recently the Eickhorn Heer dagger and asked me (as an "expert" Wink) for the opinion. Well, I'm political daggers (especially SA/SS/NSKK) fanatic and I'm in no way Army daggers expert. So, guys, any opinions welcome Smile

Description: .
Attached picture dagger1.jpg
Posted By: 777 Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/21/2007 11:09 PM

Description: ..
Attached picture crossguard_eagle.jpg
Posted By: 777 Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/21/2007 11:10 PM

Description: ...
Attached picture logo.jpg
Posted By: 777 Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/21/2007 11:11 PM

Description: ,
Attached picture crossguard_inside.jpg
Posted By: 777 Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/21/2007 11:11 PM

Description: ,,
Attached picture hangers.jpg
Posted By: Fitzer Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/21/2007 11:15 PM
Unlike the rest of the dagger, the crossguard is not an Eickhorn product but produced by WKC. Wittmann refers to a dagger like this on page 111 of his army book as a "non-conforming" example. Its possible for Eickhorn daggers to have this type of crossguard, its just not textbook and it maybe difficult to resell.
Posted By: wotan Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/23/2007 09:06 AM
As Fitzer already said, it is not an EICKHORN crossguard but a WKC type one.
WKC and EICKHORN sometimes had a very extense and intensive exchange of parts during the period. Generally EICKHORN daggers with WKC parts are kind of "textbook" (I DO hate this word!).
BUT when I look at the pics of this certain crossguard (the unclean cast of breast feathering, the casting traces at the underside of the crossguard, the drilling traces in the beneath the leather washer) I dare to doubt that this is an original, period crossguard. Personally I think this might be a non period replacement for a denazified crossguard.
Naturally for a final statement it would need an in hand inspection by any experienced collector.
Posted By: 777 Re: Eickhorn Army - help wanted - 06/24/2007 07:46 AM
Thanks, guys, it helped a lot. This crossguard looked odd even to me. It's gonna make the new owner bit disappointed, but it's better to know the truth and learn something at the same time.
© Your new forums