UBB.threads
Posted By: LH 600 Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/11/2008 02:11 PM
Hello Keen collectors.
I have some Luft daggers into my collection.
This dagger pictured has a very spesial scabbard with "silver" finish all the way.
I got some info from 2 other well known collector this is a ekstra cost delivery for the customer ordering the dagger.

Is this type rarer than others ? What type of silvering stuff do the Germans use & why did they do this ?
Hope for some help and info Smile

Regards LH 600

Here some pictures

reverse side

Makers mark.

Posted By: carlos1 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/11/2008 05:43 PM
U got something spesial there my friend Wink Cool
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/11/2008 10:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by carlos1:
U got something spesial there my friend Wink Cool

If not spesial,- its a sure "keeper" in my collection carlos Big Grin
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/11/2008 10:59 PM
LH 600:

Definitely a keeper.

Eek Smile

John
Posted By: SSman Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 01:45 AM
Beautiful blade on this edged weapon. Like they said above. Definately a keeper.
SSman
Posted By: wotan Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 10:24 AM
Seldom but from time to time you see this period feature.
Here my scabbard from a ZEITLER with the same feature (sorry for the bad scan but it´s definately silvering).
Regards,

Attached picture ZEITLER_scabbard.jpg
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 01:42 PM
Thanks Wotan for sharing pics.
Great scabbard.
LH
Posted By: Nolan Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 02:28 PM
I believe they used both silver and nickle silver and sometimes you can find examples where the hilt fittings are also silvered. My Voos has a Nickle silver scabbard but the scabbard bands and hilt fittings are of the plain aluminiun type.

Nolan
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 04:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nolan:
I believe they used both silver and nickle silver and sometimes you can find examples where the hilt fittings are also silvered. My Voos has a Nickle silver scabbard but the scabbard bands and hilt fittings are of the plain aluminiun type.

Nolan

Many thanks for the info Nolan. Do you have any pics of your scabbards ?

Here is a SMF with Luftamp "5" marked blade.
The scabbard is airplane grey with "Killer"finish. Look at the bands . They are aluminium type finsih...

Posted By: carlos1 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 05:50 PM
the SMF is a beauty Big Grin
Posted By: Seiler Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/12/2008 06:54 PM
Typical SMF.terrific gilding on pommel
and scabbard finish/contrast.Very nice one.
Seiler Smile
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/13/2008 01:19 AM
Many thanks for fine words.
The SMF is better in real Carlos Big Grin
You need a Luft dagger man Wink
Posted By: carlos1 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/13/2008 04:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by LH 600:
Many thanks for fine words.
The SMF is better in real Carlos Big Grin
You need a Luft dagger man Wink

Do u have one for me Big Grin
Posted By: seany Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/13/2008 10:32 PM
WOW nice daggers mate
Sean
Nice looking stuff there.
Here's my baby.

Attached picture Dagger_Display_Group_II_A_007a.jpg

Attached picture 2nd_Model_Luft_Dagger_002a.jpg

Attached picture 2nd_Model_Luft_Dagger_003a.jpg

Attached picture 2nd_Model_Luft_Dagger_004a.jpg

Attached picture 2nd_Model_Luft_Dagger_005a.jpg

Attached picture 2nd_Model_Luft_Dagger_006a.jpg

Attached picture 2nd_Model_Luft_Dagger_007a.jpg
The gilt on the pommel swaz is subtle, but it's all there.
The grip has a two tone pumpkin color, as if it were sun faded while on display.
All of the fittings are silver plated with background burnishing.
Hope you enjoy the pics.
Thanks for looking.
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/15/2008 12:30 AM
Very nice SMF Luft Robert.

These Luft daggers are really awesome and in my opinions one of the nicest "German type" of daggers made. Cool
Is there some marking on the De Luxe hangar ?

Regards LH 600
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/16/2008 02:15 AM
Update this tread with some more Luft 2 pics Wink

Here is a late typical Alcoso Luft with hangar.
Look at the orginal period scabbard finish .

Regards LH

Grip

Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/16/2008 03:07 AM
Closer image
Especially the Luftwaffe 2nd model daggers (IMO) show some of the changes that were forced upon Solingen makers as certain materials became scarcer.

I don’t know who it was in the collecting world who first originated the phrase “airplane gray” to describe the use of gray phosphate as a type of metal finish. And although I remember seeing “airplane gray” in some sales catalogs - I’m also reasonably certain that that Germans never used that phrase.

With nickel, silver, zinc and zinc phosphate (matt finish) all being used depending on the item, time period, and maker involved. With, as they age, nickel plating (and nickel silver) having no significant color changes. Silver exposed to the atmosphere turning black. And zinc which tends to be a more muted silver color, becoming more gray. And zinc phosphate (as the matt layer wears away) exposing the zinc base layer.

That said, my compliments for some very nice examples of Luftwaffe daggers!! SmileSmile FP
LH 600,
Love that alcoso it's my favorite maker and a sweet blade to boot...NICEEEE
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/22/2008 02:04 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Eric Wien:
LH 600,
Love that alcoso it's my favorite maker and a sweet blade to boot...NICEEEE

Thanks Big Grin
I love that dagger very much to

LH
Here's a Pack/sigfried i once owned and another dagger i regret selling but had silver finish on all the fittings and scabbard.

Attached picture Epack_10.JPG
Love this maker mark

Attached picture Epack_ebay_1_GDC.JPG
Posted By: LH 600 Re: Luft mod II ,Spesial silver finish scabbard - 12/31/2008 03:57 AM
Nice Luft Eric. Eek
Have you pics of the blade to ?
I dont have that maker into my Luft II collection. Im looking for one in NM condition Wink

But its landed two early Luft II in my collection today. A Mint early Herder and NM early G.Spitzer.
Thanks again Paul Hogle at the Lakesidetrader for helping me with these two pieces
© Your new forums