UBB.threads
Posted By: Grumpy SS Gray? - 05/08/2008 11:00 PM
Other for the SD, were WSS headgear and uniforms produced in something more like a true gray, rather than field gray? Thanks.
Posted By: Joe S Re: SS Gray? - 05/08/2008 11:42 PM
If my memory is right , I am not 100% on this.The Allegeime uniforms change their colour from the black to grey during the war. I can not recall what year. I hope so more knowlegable peoples will chime in .

Thanks Joe Semen
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Gray? - 05/08/2008 11:47 PM
Yes, I believe you are right about the A-SS change. Forgot about that. I am curious as to whether the Waffen-SS wore something that looked more gray than green. Perhaps late war or foreign manufacture?
Posted By: Robert H. Re: SS Gray? - 05/09/2008 01:24 AM
Not sure but the Beaver book "Uniforms of the W-SS" Vol.I shows you all the different colors. Maybe Earth Grey? It is also pending on the Uniform style.
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Gray? - 05/09/2008 01:28 AM
Sorry, I don't have the book. "Earth gray" sounds like a good description. Mostly gray, with a slight tint of field gray. Thanks.
Posted By: Quantico Re: SS Gray? - 05/09/2008 01:35 AM
The Allgemeine-SS began changing over to the gray-green (military style) uniforms in 1938. They retained their unique insignia and wore Allgemeine-SS shoulder boards on both shoulders. The swastika armband was replaced with the national emblem (sleeve eagle).

The early SS-VT wore an earth-brown uniform and both the SS-VT and LSSAH wore a field-gray drill uniform; however, about the same time as the Allgemeine-SS changed to gray-green, so did the SS-VT and LSSAH.

Bill
Posted By: Grumpy Re: SS Gray? - 05/09/2008 01:52 AM
Thank you for the information. The first I am aware of the gray-green uniforms in the late 1930's.
© Your new forums