UBB.threads
Posted By: SLIM my first SS tunic - 03/03/2006 07:29 PM
this is my first ss tunic and fingers crossed not my last!. it arrived today from mr lukacs
who really is a great guy Big Grin

slim

Attached picture Picture_112_(Medium).jpg
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/03/2006 07:34 PM
i had money set aside for a chained SS but bought this and a named ss helmet instead , decisions decisions............

slim Big Grin

Attached picture Picture_113_(Medium).jpg
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/03/2006 11:55 PM
looks very nice have a nice pear of ss shorts for this .now i just need your jacket kind regards judas
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 12:23 AM
i must say these tropical tunics are still at a good price to buy for a ss tunic i would like one my self can you show a close up of eagle and collar tab please kind regards judas
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 10:28 AM
hi judas here you go.......

slim

Attached picture uc5008-10a_(Medium)_(Small).JPG
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 10:30 AM
tab

Attached picture uc5008-07a_(Small).JPG
Posted By: Robert H. Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 02:19 PM
A very nice Saharina tunic you bought. Do you want to complete it with the right headgear and so on? Would look for sure very good with the whole equipment.
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 02:34 PM
hi robert Big Grin thats my next target to complete it with all the right equipment. i just missed out on the afrika binos on his latest update. did you or do you own a saharina tunic or know of anybody that has completed one with the right gear on it if so maybe they can post here.. Wink
Posted By: Robert H. Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 02:46 PM
It's the collectors request how to complete it, for my part I would look for a belt and for the right headgear like a side cap or maybe a tropical helmet or one nice south front camo helmet. Binoculars would be also a great idea for s nice display. But as we know such things are not easy to find but thats our hobby.
Posted By: Fred Fokkelman Re: my first SS tunic - 03/04/2006 03:41 PM
Nice tunic indeed!
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/09/2006 04:21 PM
thankyou robert and fred and judas for your comments regarding this tunic......

slim
Posted By: Adam Kirchen Re: my first SS tunic - 03/10/2006 11:47 PM
Don't know alot about cloth but that is a beautiful tunic, congradulations!!!
Posted By: prorege Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 12:14 PM
In my opinion something is wrong with the angle on the runic tab?

Description: Tab
Attached picture PvL.jpg
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 02:19 PM
here we go again is this necessary prorege,this is not a test for these type of runes tabs! their is nothing wrong with this tab at all. hasse and fred tonym etc etc see no problem here and these people know what they are talking about!! they alone have some of the best SS tunics, helmets you will ever see anywhere. why do you only comment now when this tunic has been posted here for a while now? its because you seen it on the WA forum thread which is deleted now because of jokers like you thats why!!
lets hear your thoughts not repeats of the ramblings of other jokers on the other forum...........

slim
Posted By: prorege Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 02:42 PM
What's wrong with my comments and what do you mean with "here we go again? I have been collecting for 33 years so please don't tell me what to think. I have(and have shown on this forum and elsewhere) a few of my own W-SS tunics. I would personally not touch such an off-line angled collar tab as you show above with a firepole.

I have seen the topic on the other forum this morning, no pictures/comments since they were all deleted so apparantly you were given the same advice from others as well. Good luck.
Posted By: prorege Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 02:43 PM
....and please refrain from calling me a joker.
Posted By: Cees Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 02:59 PM
Although I do not want to intervene in previous discussions regarding these tabs, I agree with prorege. I should not want to have such tabs in my collection, for the simple reason that I have never seen them on older tunics, i.e. tunics with a long pedigree or rock-solid provenance, and on period photos. Just my opinion.

With kind regards,

Cees
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 03:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by prorege:
What's wrong with my comments and what do you mean with "here we go again? I have been collecting for 33 years so please don't tell me what to think. I have(and have shown on this forum and elsewhere) a few of my own W-SS tunics. I would personally not touch such an off-line angled collar tab as you show above with a firepole.

I have seen the topic on the other forum this morning, no pictures/comments since they were all deleted so apparantly you were given the same advice from others as well. Good luck.

you are entitled to your opinion prorege which i take onboard i do honest! this tab has a lot of experienced collectors divided as to real or not. on a final note i would like to ask its former owner who commented above his input into this debate!!

best
SLIM
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 04:25 PM
I dont think the angle of the runes is a real concern. But rather how they appear to be woven.The edges are unlike any of the common enlisted woven runes I have ever seen.

To support another statement I made about it even having collar insignias take a look at the one for sale on the estand of another forum and also one for sale right now on Manions auction. Neither are badged with collar tabs.
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 04:32 PM
john the angles arnt the problem the border is. can you explain please and show some examples of what you are saying thanks

slim
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 04:49 PM
I brought a thread to the top so you can browse the original collar tabs posted there.Im no expert on enlisted tabs and frankly dont know if yours is a fake. Im more concerned with the placement on the tunic.Most of the tabs Ive held or bought had a very defined edge.
Posted By: Felix Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 04:51 PM
Well, its not the angle that prorege meant that bothers me. Please look at the red lines in the photo. The runes are too "tight". This is the main difference between this tab and originals in my opinion. The borders are a bit faint as well.

/Felix

Attached picture F_ss_tabZZ.jpg
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 05:12 PM
felix there are tabs in the thread that john brought to the top " thankyou " that dont line up either. this method deos not prove anything when dealing with enlisted tabs
thats just my opinion. i am sure that if you perform this test on officer tabs the results will be a lot different.........

slim
Posted By: Felix Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 05:45 PM
Well the classic shape goes for the enlisted tabs as well. If you compare with a straight edge on the photos you will notice that only one collar tab in that excellent thread dont line up. All others, despite being beaten up and waterdamaged, do line up.

Therefore I dont agree with you. The runes on your tab are too compressed. But its my opinion only and comes from my limited knowledge.

If you like the tab its a good thing for you, and you have something nice to warm your heart with in the cold winter.

Happy collecting everybody!
//Felix
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 05:55 PM
i have a supply of the finest irish whiskeys to keep me warm over the winter months Big Grin..

best

slim
Posted By: Felix Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 05:59 PM
Which brand is the best in Irish eyes? Wink

I Like Jameson and Tullamore! But my scottish friend keep telling that is NOT whiskey!Wink

Cheers,
Felix
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 06:14 PM
well my friend jameson is a big no no here, not much flavor in it
for export only!!. my fav is bush and grouse and on a very cold nite boil the kettle and add 3 sugars to a double of any one of these two and you will know what i mean quality, you know what i think i will have one now cheers everybody.......

best

slim
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 06:22 PM
went to the cupboard the bush is all gone "the shame of it" i will just have to open a new bottle of grouse so thankyou scotland!!

best

lionel
Posted By: prorege Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 08:02 PM
Ref the above picture of the vertical angle - yes that bothers me as well. The "old-fashioned" rule of thump is shown in my above picture with the horisontal angle. Compare to all the EM collar tabs in the post "well used ss insignia".

An additional pic is attached with all the various angles inserted.

Attached picture PvL1.jpg
Posted By: Fred Fokkelman Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 09:49 PM
This is becoming a very interesting discussion. Is there any rule regarding the angles? I concur with Johnpic79 that the weave - after looking it more closely - is of more concern to me. Don't know however if there were later war variations with reduce in quality and so on.
Posted By: Felix Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 09:57 PM
It should also be noted that this kind of runic tab seems to pop up quite often recently.

/Felix
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 10:09 PM
The weave appears very flat but that may be the picture.Note on the known originals the hump where these are flat.
Posted By: HOOPER 2 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 11:23 PM
There is of course the consensous that the runes should be as shown, by the art work nicely posted and we cloth collectors of course always look for these angles on our collar tabs.
Just for comparison catch a glimps of the estonian volunteer to prove that not everything is the so called "text book" type,one rune longer than the other and totaly off line together,we would have this attributed to Manion's and Co if it appeared today! Big Grin,,,,,Stephen

Attached picture 1122.jpg
Posted By: Robert H. Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 11:34 PM
has the soldier on this picture metal runes attached or are this woven collar tab runes?
Posted By: HOOPER 2 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 11:42 PM
Robert,
Being a volunteer he may well have the metal runes,but there are some collectors who dont think metal runes ever existed,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: Robert H. Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 11:51 PM
then they have to make their homework
Posted By: Robert H. Re: my first SS tunic - 03/11/2006 11:55 PM
ONE INPUT FROM MY SIDE REGARDING THIS TUNIC:

I NEVER OWNED OR GOT THIS SHOWN SAHARINA TUNIC FROM FORUM MEMBER "slim" IN MY COLLECTION NEITHER ANYDAY IN MY HANDS OR WHATEVER
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 12:15 AM
Well if not real mr. Von Lucas has a good return policy. I thought that his SS uniform items were accepted as above reproach by the collecting community? cheers, Ryan
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 03:26 AM
Ryan does every dealer always sell real things or do any of them occaisionally have a questionable item? How can an item be original just because of a reputation? I say that too many people use the names of the dealers they buy from to authenticate an item. An item should sell itself.Debate over authenticity has nothing to do with who sells it.
Posted By: Mr. Jerry Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 04:05 AM
Not saying of this is one real or not, as I really don't know, but I do know there is a varaint type of runic tab that was not made the same was as the "puffy" RZM type of tabs that we are used to, but rather with the more flattened style of embroidery, and lots of embroidery (almost like a TK tab). Several years ago I saw a few in veterans grouping that I unfortunately did not get. I wished that I would have at least taken some photos. I have never had the oppourtunity to add another one of these to my collection, but at least I know in my heart "They are out there", and the next time I see one I will scoop it up.

Does anyone have one of these tabs in their own collections?
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 04:40 AM
Hi John c'mon if you can't see the true intent by now. In all honesty he does offer a very good return policy and he stands by what he sells but I was referring to past posts where his ability to consistantly produce rare, near mint SS tunics came into question. Reputations of dealers have never clouded my judgement. cheers, Ryan Wink
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 05:02 AM
Mr. Jerry, I believe there is a picture of one of those tabs in Angolias book, there were different types but I havent seen any like the one on the tunic discussed anywhere but in these forums.

I know Ryan but I would hate to see legit collar tab analysis take a turn into a Dealer mud fest or flower fest for that matter.
Posted By: TonyS Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 05:19 AM
Hopefully this thread will stay calm - unlike the two on this tunic over on the WAF that are now deleted. Those threads went up like a lighted match on gasoline.....
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 06:03 AM
Hello, IMO the rune tab in question is not right! The angle, shape, and the weave is not correct. The tunic appears to be good, but the tab is not correct. Grant.
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 06:17 AM
1)john made a point before that in the past he has only seen striped ones that were unused.(2)the tunics real the eagles real can eny one see eny problems with the way its applied i think we need to work back and not just concentrate on tab.(3) this could be a tunic with eagle and no tabs but then why go to all that trouble and stick on a fake set.(4) if these tabs have been seen be for and are deemed fake can some one put one up.(5) this line test is not a solid clue-shin at best its a guide line.kind regards judas
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 06:20 AM
will that put what i was asking out the window Grant must have been writing the same time Wink
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 11:25 AM
you can draw lines all day long guys, this proves nothing, as least draw straight!!. this takes me back to my school days.........long ago.... Big Grin

slim

Attached File
a1.bmp  (528 downloads)
Posted By: willysproject Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 12:01 PM
Dear Mr 'Slim'

What is your point?
You say it's your first tunic and you haven't got much experience on SS cloth... You've asked opinions... You've received them from very knowledgable people... Now, make your own conclusions...

Kind regards,
Gerd V
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 12:36 PM
dear mr willysproject;
my point is this line test is bxxxxxs Big Grin, proves nothing other than people with to much time on their hands! i have made my conclusions and am very happy with them thankyou for asking!!

best

slim
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 02:18 PM
For me an opinion from Grant Bias means alot on this or any forum.He is a well thought of collector of cloth insignias with a vast amount of experience in that area. That you choose to ignore the opinions given after you posted here even stating its your first tunic speaks volumes.We may have too much time on our hands but you must have too much money to spend. Cool
Posted By: Sergey Mozhaev Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 04:30 PM
As I told at WA, by me this runic tab is a modern repro.SLIM, But in any case it is your choice and your money. However if originality of items isn't so important for you, you can safe your money and buy items at re-enactors sites.
Posted By: SLIM Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 04:48 PM
is that what you do because lets face it your USSR comrades are upto their necks in it......
Posted By: Sonny Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 04:49 PM
All of the Sahariana jackets that I've encountered only had the ss sleeve eagle on them. Most of the collectors that I know readily admitt they added the collar tabs and shoulder boards.
This angle test that has been put forth for about two years is fine, I know the advanced collector who devised it and is a member of this forum. However if the collar tab has been removed and has shrunken from being wet and then repressed, as many of these are, the runes may not line up.
I would also ask for some members to take a look at the SS1 on page 121 of Mike Beaver's Uniform book and let me know your thoughts on the angle test.Thanks Sonny
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 07:33 PM
Regardless of the originality of the tab or not and I echo what John states, no one is perfect but if Grant states that he doesn't like it then that would be enough for me to send it back. Try to sell it down the road and see what happens. If you are going to keep and nurture it forever good for you.The collecting fraternity for these expensive tunics is relatively close and once given the kiss of death....no one that I recall has come forward and stated that they like and have no issues with the tab. This is the first mint tunic with mint tabs that I have ever seen offerred. No need to get nasty when asked for opinions. Just a sign of one's true nature and intent. cheers, Ryan
Posted By: HOOPER 2 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 08:30 PM
SLIM.
I feel sad that this has happened to you. You have certainly chosen the most controversial area of this hobby " SS cloth " Yes as Ryan said the "kiss of death" now hangs over your tunic because of a suspect runes tab!Im afraid that's the risk posting nice clear images.[ASK YOURSELF,WHY DO YOU THINK THAT MOST HIGH END COLLECTORS NEVER POST THEIR COLLECTION ON HERE] Big Grin That'S why of course that most dealers litarery hate these forums because of various things they cant get away with and beleive me they would if they could make an extra pound more out of you !
I hope you can resolve this problem in your own way and If you are happy with it then thats fine.It is yourself who you must satisfy no one else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,HOOPER
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 10:00 PM
Hi Hooper do you have any constructive wisdom about the originality of the tab ?
Posted By: HOOPER 2 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 10:48 PM
John,
The last time I commented negativly on an item I was pulled up by a moderator for not explaining in depth what was wrong with it.I ain't going there again !!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and my comment was "not for me Im afraid"
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/12/2006 11:41 PM
I hear you. Frown
Posted By: Scott A. Hess Re: my first SS tunic - 03/13/2006 09:59 AM
quote:
Originally posted by JohnPic79:
Ryan does every dealer always sell real things or do any of them occaisionally have a questionable item? How can an item be original just because of a reputation? I say that too many people use the names of the dealers they buy from to authenticate an item. An item should sell itself.Debate over authenticity has nothing to do with who sells it.

I agree wholeheartedly with John's opinion here. Everyone makes mistakes..and several of the dealers I've dealt with have on more than one ocassion. If the dealer is reptuable..he should have NO problem is refunding the item if your not satisfied. The piece must stand or fall on its own merits..and not upon its source. A lot of people bought Ford Pinto's..Ford certainly made some good cars... but the fact that it was a Ford didnt make the exploding rear gas tanks anyless lethal..a bit off point..but just a thought. As to the SS Saharina.in the early to mid 90's..I remember these real unissued tunics were not difficult to find. I dont remember ever seeing one with anything other than a factory eagle. I've owned an SS saharina that never had an SS eagle..but had a factory Luft eagle..and was real. My opinion..just as with Luft tropical tunics..full collar insignia were the exception and not the norm. That certianly dosnt mean tht it could not be possible..as I have seen period pics of full collar insignia being worn. I would just approach any saharina tunic with anything more than eagle and boards with suspicion, EVEN if the tabs were 100 percent right. and then my gut feeling would be that such collar insignia would be attached by the soldier after issue..and most likey worn..and not in unissued condition. Just my opinion..
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:25 AM
This thread is a prime example as to why knowledgable SS collectors don't participate anymore. Nothing personal against you Slim, but you ask for opinions and thoughts about your new tunic and we give them to you, then you don't want to listen. All that I can say my friend, is that , you are going to spend a lot of hard earned money on mistakes. Anyway, here are 100% original examples of wartime raised cotton rune EM collar tabs. Please look and learn and you will see what I am talking about.

Attached picture SSruneEM3.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:26 AM
rune#2.

Attached picture SSruneEM1.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:26 AM
rune#3.

Attached picture SSruneEM2.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:27 AM
rune#4.

Attached picture SSruneEM4.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:27 AM
rune#5.

Attached picture SSruneEM5.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:28 AM
rune#6

Attached picture SSruneEM6.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:29 AM
rune#7

Attached picture SSruneEM8.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:31 AM
rune#8

Attached picture SSruneEmPZ1.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:33 AM
rune#9

Attached picture SSruneEM7.JPG
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:34 AM
rune#10

Attached picture SSruneEM9.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 01:44 PM
Grant Bias, I thank you for posting your tabs,,and the other members also. A straight edge put on these properly and the rune lines would seem to prove out this newer criteria as one of the ways to authenticate these tabs.

As far as experienced guys not posting, Keeping silent about fakes like the tabs shown on the jacket is a real dis-service to everyone in the hobby...Originals are rare, tough to find.. Letting this one on the jacket go without correct comments on this forum would have gone towards one of the 'vetting' aspects of the piece as original. Once that happens these good counterfeits become 'real' and will start show up even more but now as 'known originals'.., G.
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 02:36 PM
Good point,and always remember because people find something faulty they are not doing because they have an agenda.My only purpose is to weed out the questionable from the good.The good stuff is not as readily available but it will be available if you wait. I thank Grant for his efforts here and know that a number of silent watchers learned something from it.
Posted By: Fred Fokkelman Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 05:48 PM
The longer I collect the more I am convinced that most SS tunics are put-together. Some have original insignia and some not, but still they are sold as untouched originals.
It's from my own experience that I noticed that the biggest enemy is within me. I wanted desperately to believe my item - tunic - was real and all other opinions I ruled out as jealousy. Without acknowledging ones mistakes or lack of experience, this hobby can never be learned. It's not the mistake one should be ashamed of, but the way one deals with a mistake. We have all been there and we all learn every day.

Grant, many thanks for your great input.
Posted By: PANZERPIONIERE Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 06:18 PM
Excellent tabs Grant!
That Pink piped one is the best!
Steve Androsko
Posted By: TonyS Re: my first SS tunic - 03/14/2006 07:27 PM
When I tried to put forward the line test over on the WAF in the now deleted thread, both Gary Wood and John Donovan said they had not heard of it being applied to enlisted runics (only officers). I believe it is clear that it can be applied to them. However, is is only one test and I do realise that there can be variations.
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/15/2006 01:58 AM
Variations yes,but it must be remembered that variations are the exception. When more than a few variants start to appear on tunics then we have more reason to investigate and find out why.

Fred,You are absolutely correct.IMO most are restored and then sold as untouched.Not so bad if everything is original and the Tunic was actually an SS used tunic. But not quite fair that they are priced as untouched rarities.Im aware of even some older pieces of some fame that were restored although that was never mentioned as they passed through the hands of time or were used as examples in books.
Posted By: Scott A. Hess Re: my first SS tunic - 03/15/2006 04:24 AM
Personally.I dont have any problem owning something as described by John..an original SS tunic with original SS insignia applied to it..as long as its authentic for the piece it represents, and is fully disclosed by the seller. However..in very few instances does one ever see it disclosed.
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/15/2006 10:18 AM
How many Heer tunics and visors/headgear have had the eagles restored? With the exception of most waffenrocks I would venture to say many. These uniforms were worn after capitulation. De-nazification was in full swing and this applied to buildings and clothing. First thing to go eagles and swastikas. There are many pictures to support this.I have never had a problem with their replacement. I have yet to see a tunic for sale either on site or at a show or a piece of headgear where the seller mentioned this fact.Improbable at best. After one or two sales how would someone know for absolute certain that insignia had been added or replaced? A science now for sure. I have an SS officer's visor that has had the insignia removed. Now do I add the insignia before offerring to you guys? Is it deceitful not to mention and does the replaced insignia have an adverse affect on the value of the cap? cheers, Ryan
Posted By: Joe S Re: my first SS tunic - 03/15/2006 02:17 PM
I believe there still untouch original ss em's tunics in old collections still exist. AS the same with headgear from helmets to overseas cap to edge weapons besides being cared for by cleaning occasionally.

Joe Semen
Posted By: Grant Bias Re: my first SS tunic - 03/15/2006 03:49 PM
Joe, To answer your question, Yes, there is. I have only 6 original unmessed with SS uniforms, two dot pattern suits, two smocks, and one overcoat, and I have been collecting for years. All but two have come directly from veteran buys out of hotel shows. I would be extremely skeptical on buying any on todays market! Let me clear things up as to what I am saying, I am refering to "Untouched Examples". I think that 98% of the SS uniforms out on todays market are put togethers ie. one, if not all, insignia have been added to an original uniform. Also, if you look on certain websites you will see SS tunic after SS tunic for sale and priced for 4 - 9K range, come-on, lets get real. Why is it that well known dealers sell their SS EM, NCO, or Officer tunics for in excess of 20K, well there is a reason for that, not because they are price gougers, but, because they are untouched originals! Lets face it, 15K, 20K, or up is a whole lot of money, so if you cannot afford those prices and want an SS tunic, then you will have to assume that it will be a Put-together. If you can live that and be happy, then so be it.
In IMHO in the next twenty years you will see a lot of old time collections be bought out or broken up. I know that there are a lot of 100% original untouched examples, some which are pictured in books, will come out for sale over this period of time. The queston is, will they be made available for the public? I beleive that the vast majority of them will not. ie. There will be deals done in private by closet collectors and dealers without anyone knowing. Does any other member(s) remember Bob Alexanders collection being broken up? Bob had some really nice stuff and all of the good items were sold in private. I remember that Steve Wolfe and Neil Harding bought first, then It was Walter Hombach, etc.. , then the rest was laid out on tables at the MAX show in Pittsburg back in the late 1990's. The point is, all of the untouched really good stuff was gone before it was offered to the public. So, there are a couple things that could happen, first: All sales could be done in private just like Bob Alexanders stuff, second: It could be made available to the public, but the prices will be out-of-sight, or third: All of the serious SS collectors who drove the prices up anyway are the ones whose collections are being sold and you MIGHT see prices become reasonable again, that would be reaching. Anyway, that my two cents. Grant
Posted By: Fred Fokkelman Re: my first SS tunic - 03/15/2006 05:59 PM
Grant, I know there are untouched SS garments, but what I see these days on the internet makes me very suspiscious.
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 01:47 AM
Excellent post Grant.I remember Bob Alexanders collection being sold I looked at photos he carried on him at the Great Western just before.I think you are right on spot with your opinion.I know of one collection that was just sold off and some pieces were got reasonable. The more rare items well I think one will just hope fate is on thier side when the time comes.

Fred you have good reason to be suspicious and you have to be very careful choosing something on a dealer site these days.Many collectors fail to take a close enough look for problems. Ive seen tunics shown on the forum that got heaps of praise from the members but when they were sent to me for inspection they had all kinds of tampering evident that I was a bit puzzled that the owners missed it or were unable to detect it.
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 02:08 AM
hi Grant those are some broad and sweeping statements and this road has been crossed before.last time it was you couldn't get a untouched example unless you were willing to spend at least 9-10'000 .now you are saying 4-9range wont get you a untouched at wot end is it that you think it ant real.4-9 its abig sweep.i hear what you are saying at the same time.this one i got from a dealer its named and is in the book we all know i have a large file and photo of this guy i did not pay 15-20 so because i did not pay that an got from a dealer and its in the book of books is this a put to gether.if eny one thinks it is speak up .not looking for a fight just think it was broad view .or am i out of date with the price??would i be asking to much if iasked 15-17000 for this named sd tunic ??kind regards judas

Attached picture P3161398.jpg
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 02:50 AM
Judas, I think when you read Grants post you will see something else he said that really cuts to the truth.I will lend my view on the same theme.

Big well known dealers are asking the $20,000 or more for the tunics.I was offered on by a famous dealer for $16500,but I felt it wasnt an untouched piece so I was not hot on paying that.I might have paid it if it was clearly untouched with provenance but that wasnt the case.
Now tunics that have been sitting around in collections for years.The collectors may have paid what was top dollar then and thus as Grant says drove the market value up and up due to SS being a popular field.However in the next decade or so when we see these collections open up,probably privately with dealers getting first shake, you may see the true value of these tunics reflected rather than the asking prices of "glamour" dealers.I know of one recently purchased at a price reflecting the late 1980s prices.Untouched, unmessed with and out of an old collection.
Now thats a nice SD tunic you have an obvious one looker.Do you think if you try to sell it for $20,000 someone will pay that and if someone does who would it be and what would thier motives be other than to drive up market value.
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 03:18 AM
thank s johnpic i do see what you are saying i think if you are looking at it like that.the ifs .if and when these old collections turn up you are playing the numbers game this can become very cloudy .how meany real ones are out there. and how grant says he remembers seeing at lest 40 black ones.were are they.as for what i payed first off it wasint cheap and thats in us dollers get on the exchange and see what the usa buys in nz.but i buy these because they have meaning to me when i can afford to.thats very clever of you to put that question back on me john Big Grin the question is would i sale it? i dont know if i would get that i did not buy it with that in mind and i think it needs to go to some one who loves it .kind regards judas
Posted By: judas Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 03:27 AM
how many untouched ones are out therejust a rough guess eny one 1000 or so
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 03:29 AM
Okay John et al what about Waffen SS officer visors?? They certainly seem to be as rare if not more so than officer tunics these days. One just sold on Bruce Hermann's site for $10,995.00 and it did not last long at that price. Now I am not casting dispersions as I believe that visor to be 100% and Bruce is a very reputable dealer in my opinion. The last SS officer visor that he sold a year or so ago you John eventually acquired from Kevin. I believe that the price was close to $4000.00. Now it wasn't a double marked Erel but in my opinion it had traits that made it as desireable. Bill Shea currently has one listed at $11,000.00 although in lesser condition. It seems to me that prices for these caps when they appeared over the past year was around $5000.00. They did not appear as often as tunics seemed to, as I remember waiting a few good years for the one that Bruce sold to Kevin to eventually materialize. There was also one being offerred by Keith Beaumont that also just sold, I think for around the $5000.00 mark. Is $8000.00 to $10,000.00 indicative of the true value of these caps now? I think that Waffen NCO visors are now in the $4000.00 to $5000.00 range. Do not Allgemeine officer visors now command $8000.00 to $10,000.00? Have not many of these visors have replaced insignia? Well are the days of $5000.00 Waffen SS officer visors now over? Just throwing it out there comparatively speaking. cheers, Ryan
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 01:38 PM
If I really wanted something bad, I would pay for it.

If someone wants to do it for investment its a game, they pay high but in the end will they be able to sell it for what they paid.Remember there is only one buyer at the end of the day.
That visor on Bruces site came out of an old collection years ago I remember when it was first aquired by a friend of mine from Gordon Mandley along with a couple others.That was in the late 80s.That same friend sold it to another friend for what he felt it was worth about three years ago.Someone now bought it for what they think its worth. But how many people charged the door to buy it? Thats what determines the value really, not what is paid. It was offered to me first,but I chose not to take it.Too much money into something I have less interest in than tunics.
By the way that visor is the famous "thick chincord" visor.It has its place in collector history congrats to the lucky owner its a fine cap.
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 01:41 PM
Judas to answer your question...more than people would like everyone to think,because that justifies ridiculous prices,and less than enough to keep the needs of a community happy.
Posted By: Dave Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 02:21 PM
I cannot add anything about these SS tunics or rank badges, but I do want to add 2 thoughts.

1. As late as the mid 1960's, I saw German men wearing WWII uniform items with insignia removed. I remember one particular guy who worked for the GI garbage contractor in Worms. He had been a junior NCO in the SS and wounded on the Russian Front. He wore his tunic on cool days and his greatcoat when it was really cold. He spoke some English and used to stop by our Orderly Room to get free coffee and tell war stories. He pointed at the shadows and loops on his tunic and named what had once been there. I remember seeing many ex-military coats beeing worn in winter.

2. I would be surprised if ANY tunics did not show some signs of removal and addition of items. Take the unitorm jacket hanging in my closet. It had different sets of stripes sewn on and removed and 4 different left shoulder patches. The collar brass, regimental insigia, and qualification badges changed several times and were removed for polishing dozens of time. It was also re-fitted when I lost weight after Basic Training. I can assure you that it is genuine despite evidence of having been "meesed with" Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Dave
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 02:45 PM
Hi John yes it was and is a fine cap. dave you are 100% When people begin to dismiss tunics because of added or missing insignia it is a terrible thing. Tunics are genuinely modified and added to more so in wartime when things are lean. I was also in the armed forces for 10 years and during that time my rank changed twice as did my weight. I had 2 different service dress, one parade tunic and three combat uniforms. The evidence of "tampering" was wide spread. cheers, Ryan
Posted By: JohnPic79 Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 03:22 PM
Moving and changing of insignias and or alterations is not so bothersome.But...evidence of heer insignias,white thread that glows used in stitching the sleeve linings in,wrongly placed insignias,repairs made to ageing defects,all make me uncomfortable.
Posted By: NCO Re: my first SS tunic - 03/16/2006 07:26 PM
Greetings all,

Firstly I must say that this has been one informed interesting thread that I've been watching with great importance.Excellent detail and sound positive discussion focusing on the reasons in looking for original SS tabs and not just dismissing something as a fake without any explanation like some other threads on this forum have done , but teaching as to why.
It's the sort of discussion that's required on the forum these days where new collectors can learn why a collar tab is real or fake.

Secondly ,I had a tunic like that years ago without the collar tabs only with a sleeve eagle and it was a pearler.

I have probably seen a good 4 to 5 tunics down here with two of them having the tabs on the collar many years ago.Never the less they looked ok to me at the time remembering that the internet was not here back then and detail knowledge like this didn't exist.

Well done guys.
I applaud you.

Cheers
NCO
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: my first SS tunic - 03/17/2006 01:28 AM
I agree with you whole heartedly on those areas of concern John, cheers, Ryan
© Your new forums