UBB.threads
Posted By: pimpf SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:14 PM
Hello ! What will be opinions about this tunic. It looks overall good for me. But is this ok for tunic produced mid to late war has a M43 maker mark instead RB number ?

Cheers,
Alex

Attached picture 0001.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:17 PM
photo 2

Attached picture 0002.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:21 PM
photo 3

Attached picture 0003.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:22 PM
photo 4

Attached picture 0004.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:25 PM
photo 5

Attached picture 0005.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:26 PM
photo 6

Attached picture 0006.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:26 PM
final photo

Attached picture 0007.jpg
Posted By: drbill Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 08:58 PM
;imho, a textbook example- one looker!

congrats!
Posted By: Robert H. Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 09:51 PM
Very nice Tunic, eagle looks fine and original to the jacket from the photo. But hands on to the boards, I am not sure about them.
Posted By: Schloss 1 Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/24/2005 10:23 PM
Just my opinion but I'd say the M43 doesn't stand for Modell 1943 but is the Depot of Munich along with the 43 date.
Posted By: Scott A. Hess Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 12/25/2005 07:08 AM
Looks nice..with nice eagle..are the buttons on the wound pockets the nice tan glass types? I dont think the RB Nr..is a totally "hard and fast rule" ..although certainly they adopted the system in 43..Im sure in the era before internet..instant messages and faxes.not every producer got up to speed as one would expect in todays world..nice piece
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/11/2006 09:04 PM
It has just arrived to me ... Here are more details of this tunic. Except the boards everything is ok IMO. Wound pocket buttons are glass like types and hard like a dimond.

Collar revese

Attached picture 0001.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/11/2006 09:05 PM
Yoke and cuff

Attached picture 0002.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/11/2006 09:06 PM
Wound pocket and button.

Attached picture 0003.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/11/2006 09:08 PM
Cuff ...

Attached picture 0004.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/11/2006 09:10 PM
Vent holes. Over all it looks a worn tunic and late war produced, similar in details to a M43 Betr.Ra. I have.

Attached picture 0006.jpg
Posted By: pimpf Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/11/2006 09:14 PM
And here is very similar tunic "in action" I guess ...

Attached picture Image4.jpg
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/12/2006 03:09 PM
How are the shoulder-boards typically attached to these types of tunics? Did they have loops, or did they use another method for attachment?

What type of sleeve eagle did an Officer wear on this type of tunic? Was it the same type eagle as an enlisted man would wear?

Have some of these tunics ever been seen with cufftitles? What divisions wore this type of tunic?

If somebody here has the answers to these questions, I would greatly appreciate a response . . .

Thanks,

Brad
Posted By: Robert H. Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/12/2006 05:09 PM
Brad, the Beaver books will give all the details about it. Cufftitle question, RFSS. But the SD used also such tunics in italy like other units too. For shoulder strap attachments you will find every thing, sewn in, long or short board loops (see pic above) ...
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/12/2006 05:32 PM
Bob,

I have the Beaver books. What is not clearly answered by Beaver is if an Officer AND an enlisted man eagle were used (I find nothing that answers this subject), if pictures or reference exists of more than the few cufftitles he displays in pictures, and if more than (2) ways of attaching shoulder boards are documented as well. If anybody has pics or information, I would greatly appreciate the help. I own a large grouping of books and reference, and I can't seem to find the answers in any of them!
Posted By: Dave T. Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/14/2006 03:41 AM
Brad....in the units where these specific tropical (sharariana style) tunics were issued and worn....Officers wore Officer eagles and enlisted wore EM eagles.Do I have photos or an unaltered specimen to back-up this statement.....No.It simply stands to reason.The tunics existed...they were issued...they were worn.Therefore...officers wore them and enlisted wore them.The correct insignia would have been applied to the tunic for the respective rank.As far as the type of attachment system for shoulder boards,I only know of the slip on system on these tunics.It is however different than the standard slip on loop.The tunic has a larger loop that is actually more of a patch...it creates a "tube" into which the standard shoulder strap tongue slips into.The buttons are typically attached to the strap as opposed to the tunic.A friend of mine had an example which had the trop. resin button with a screw/post system for attaching the button to the strap.As far as I know there are two variations of these tunics for the SS.One has pleated pcokets...the other has patch pockets.The shoulder arrangment was the same on both.Try contacting Bill Shea....I believe he has had a few of these tunics.You may also try contacting Robert Noss...I believe he had an album with photos of the tunic in service.Good Luck
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/14/2006 01:47 PM
Dave,

Thanks for the info! I've been searching for a long time for pictures and reference regarding Officer versions of these tunics. I'm sure they existed, but I just don't see many examples around that prove my suspicions. Thanks again for the great information!

Brad
Posted By: Robert H. Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/14/2006 05:07 PM
And we know also SS officer Feldblusen with EM sleeve eagles in that case everything is possible. Even for the short supplies and the end of the war time I assume more chances are that officers got a standard tropical eagle on a Saharina tunic. Bullion eagles are more expected on tailor made tunics. But we know all there are exeptions from the normal regulated way.
Posted By: paul.j Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/15/2006 02:08 AM
G'day all,
Brad,to answer your question,there is no officer version sleeve eagle.These tunics were manufactured with the or's eagle factory sewn to them same as WH tropical tunics.No doubt officers on occassion may have applied officers eagles but these would be elusive in pics.If you have the munin verlag book or access to one,die guten glaubens waren-4.SS polizei division,on pg 206 there are pics of a funeral detail and 3 officers are wearing collar tabs and cuff titles.
Cheers,Paul.
Posted By: Woody Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/15/2006 02:57 AM
here are a few shots of the 4th ss wearing said tunic with full insignia

Description: poldiv
Attached picture ss_pol1wh.jpg
Posted By: Woody Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/15/2006 03:00 AM
2nd shot

Description: poldiv2
Attached picture sspol1za.jpg
Posted By: Woody Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/15/2006 03:01 AM
sorry double posting

Description: poldiv3
Attached picture sspol1zb.jpg
Posted By: Sud Tirol Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/15/2006 04:32 AM
Woody,

Never seen such a gorgeous Saharian uniform photo shoot. Post more if you got please. Well done.

DC
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 01/15/2006 02:40 PM
Thanks Woody - that's exactly what I was looking for!

Brad
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/20/2007 03:29 PM
Just thought I'd bring this back up - don't know if it would have disappeared if I didn't, but I'd sure like to see it stay around!

Brad

P.S. If anyone happens to know of one of these for sale, I'm still seeking to buy a "textbook" version that has the factory-installed "tube-like" shoulder-board attachment straps!
Posted By: SSTk Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/21/2007 01:51 AM
Is this what you are looking for? Metal is safety pin holding button in place on the shoulder board.

Attached picture Tunics_and_Displays_Feb_19_178cr.jpg
Posted By: SSTk Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/21/2007 01:52 AM
This is front view. Stains appear to be blood.

Attached picture Tunics_and_Displays_Feb_19_178r.jpg
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/21/2007 02:19 PM
SSTk,

Yes, that's it! Something with the slip-on type shoulder-board attachments such as yours. Nice example - not sure about the bloodstains, but it's definitely stunning to look at! First pattern, or Second pattern doesn't really matter to me. I've been half-heartedly searching for one to buy for quite a while now - just haven't found the right one yet. If you know anybody willing to part with one, please contact me! Smile

Great pictures - thanks for the pics!

Brad
Posted By: SSTk Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/21/2007 04:56 PM
I can ask! This one is from my collection. Bill Shea had an awesome one come in a while ago, the same one with the Demyansk shield in Beaver's book, vol 3 I believe.
Posted By: N.C. Wyeth Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/21/2007 06:07 PM
Thanks for the help! I should be at the SOS come Friday. My goal at the Show was to locate an example such as this, and see if I can get myself past a "half-hearted" search and closer to a purchase . . . .

Thanks again SSTk!

Brad
Posted By: SSTk Re: SS Saharina 2-nd pattern - 02/22/2007 12:45 AM
Good luck if you get one please post it! Would love to see it. I will ask a connection I have, he supplied me with this one.
Doug
© Your new forums