UBB.threads
Posted By: rosey Nordfront Cross - 06/11/2005 02:24 AM
What would a typical price be for a Nordfront Cross?

Attached picture MVC-014S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/11/2005 02:32 AM
here is a picture of the back

Attached picture MVC-015S.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/11/2005 03:39 AM
I hate to put a price on pieces , I guess its what your willing to pay for it..

I like these [and the Lappland] . That looks like a very nice one.. , G.
Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/11/2005 01:22 PM
Gaspare,

I've heard these are widely faked now so I have shied away from them. Do you know how to spot a good one?

Cheers
Don
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 01:56 AM
I dont know haw to tell a fake, I have found a Finnish medal site and it looks just like the one on it. I picked it up with three other badeges. Like this one

Attached picture MVC-008S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 01:57 AM
here is the front

Attached picture MVC-009S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 01:59 AM
The second one

Attached picture MVC-010S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 01:59 AM
The back of the second one

Attached picture MVC-011S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 02:00 AM
The Third one

Attached picture MVC-012S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 02:01 AM
Here's the back of the third one

Attached picture MVC-013S.JPG
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 02:04 AM
I picked these up in Germany several years ago from the same person. So what does my resident experts think of these? I have not found any references of the other three badges. Does anyone have any idea what they belong to, or what they were for?
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 03:16 AM
rosey, not sure what those are, maybe some sort of march pins...

* Don , Never seen one of the fakes..Any photos of one?
Heres an old topic with one of mine.
NF badge

another link :Finn. awards

Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/12/2005 08:56 AM
Sorry, I haven't. I haven't started collecting images of these yet as I'm not sure what I'm looking at yet Frown I'll see what I can find.

Cheers
Don
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/13/2005 03:44 PM
The second small badge I have seen refered to as Petsamo ice sea march commemorative. I also read that these were sold locally to German soldiers however I can not substantiate that. There was at one time an excellent site covering all of these badges with images and text but it dissapered into cyber space some time back and I have not been able to relocate it.

Not that it means anything but I have yet to see these on repro sites however with so much out there I am bound to miss quite a bit.
There seem to be many commemorative medals/crosses instituted for the Winter War, Continuation War etc. Many for individual units. Link to follow. Click on Finland. Eek

http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/startpage.html

--dj--Joe

P.S. It's difficult to assign a value to these items. I have observed them priced high and low.
Confused
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/16/2005 04:34 AM
I picked these up in 2001 in Germany. So is these items sought after? I havent seen to many on any of the dealers websites. I thought about parting with them since I'm trying to shrink my collection to a more specialization to other areas.
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/26/2005 07:05 PM
Rosey, wish I could be of more help to you. I like the first of the smaller pins you posted, it would go good with this.

--dj--Joe

Attached picture 1f.jpg
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/26/2005 07:14 PM
Reverse,
The scanner and my poor editing skills did not do justice to the obverse.

--dj--Joe

Attached picture 2f.jpg
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 07/25/2005 05:49 PM
Back to the top. It would be interesting to keep this going and see what we can learn about these items.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 07/26/2005 05:10 AM
It would be nice, but I just mine to a guy in Virginia, all I have left is two Finnish March Badges. I havent found any info on those.
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 07/26/2005 09:22 PM
I have not found any info. on the small badges either.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/13/2005 03:04 AM
something interesting I saw on an auction site. No winners, it didn't get up to its reserve of $450. Now being sold privately..

appears to be badge and 2 pins affixed on links for a fob or something..,G.

Attached picture GDCNFc.jpg
Posted By: rosey Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/13/2005 05:20 AM
Thank you for the info, the little darlin sold a couple of weeks ago, it went to Denmark to its new home.
Posted By: Ronald Weinand Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/13/2005 02:33 PM
Years ago, I purchased similar badges from a US army veteran in a motel buy. The construction and screwbacks were the same as the ones I got from the veteran.
While rare, you just don't find too many people interested in these and, as far as I know, reproductions of these would be difficult at best and I haven't seen that many floating around over the years.
JUST MY OPINION.
Ron Weinand
Weinand Militaria
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/13/2005 11:26 PM
Smile Small world. Years ago I purchased my Lappland Front badge from a gent in Quincy Illinois. Wink

--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/20/2005 03:55 PM
http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/800097573/m/1730090523

Smile attaching a link with some info. on one of the small Salla pins.
--dj--joe
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/03/2005 08:04 PM
Well, I did something I've never done. Contact a auction seller about a piece that did not sell [from my Aug.12th post].
At first I was just asking about how the badge/pins were attached..After a few emails he seemed like an honest guy with a antique store in NY and I decided to make an offer for the piece..Glad now I did..

Attached picture NFC1.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/03/2005 08:06 PM
reverse,

Attached picture NFC2.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/03/2005 08:18 PM
2 top badges,

Attached picture NFC3.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/03/2005 08:21 PM
the Nordfront Cross,,

Attached picture NFC4.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/03/2005 08:26 PM
don't know the time period it was assembled into a fob but it sure wasn't recently...
Simple and well done. Each piece attached to a plate with its screw device. I haven't tried and probably won't but it appears that it can all be taken apart with no damage done to the pieces.. , G.

Attached picture NFC5.jpg
Posted By: Ed Sunday Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/03/2005 08:34 PM
Now thats a great looking watch fob for a nice high grade pocketwatch Gaspare. (Zenith,Omega,International,etc.) Wink
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/06/2005 07:20 PM
thanks Ed,,yeah,that might be something interesting to do for a display at a later date!

Putting it away today, thought I'd slip a shot in of its Lappland cousin Big Grin

Attached picture GDC1.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/06/2005 07:24 PM
group shot....

Attached picture GDC2.jpg
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 09/06/2005 09:31 PM
Gaspare, very nice! The Polar Sea Front, WOW! Nice badge Wink I'm glad you got the watch fob also.

Regards, --dj--Joe
Posted By: Don Scowen Re: Nordfront Cross - 11/11/2007 07:17 PM
Since this thread was first started I've obtained a list of the various crosses available:

1. Pohjoisrintama - Die Nordfront 1941-1942. White enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Uhtua-Petsamo".

2. Pohjoisrintama - Die Nordfront 1941-1942. Black enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Uhtua-Petsamo".

3. Pohjoisrintama - Die Nordfront 1941-1943. White enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Uhtua-Petsamo".

4. Pohjoisrintama - Die Nordfront 1941-1943. Black enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Uhtua-Petsamo".

5. Lapinrintama - Die Lapplandfront 1941-1943. White enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Alakurtti-Petsamo".

6. Lapinrintama - Die Lapplandfront 1941-1943. Black enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Alakurtti-Petsamo".

7. Lapinrintama - Die Lapplandfront 1941-1944. White enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Alakurtti-Petsamo".

8. Lapinrintama - Die Lapplandfront 1941-1944. Black enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Salla-Kiestinki-Alakurtti-Petsamo".

9. J��merenrintama - Die Eismeerfront 1941-1943. White enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Litsa-Liinahamari-Kirkkoniemi-Petsamo".

10. J��merenrintama - Die Eismeerfront 1941-1943. Black enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Litsa-Liinahamari-Kirkkoniemi-Petsamo".

11. J��merenrintama - Die Eismeerfront 1941-1944. White enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Litsa-Liinahamari-Kirkkoniemi-Petsamo".

12. J��merenrintama - Die Eismeerfront 1941-1944. Black enamel field. Text in Swastika is "Litsa-Liinahamari-Kirkkoniemi-Petsamo".

Cheers
Don
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 11/11/2007 10:09 PM
Don, thanks for the list. Smile
I have always liked these. I have in my posession a #3 and #7. Have been lax about picking up any of the smaller march badges.

Regards,--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 04/28/2009 10:34 PM
Pop to the top.
Posted By: Hans N Re: Nordfront Cross - 04/30/2009 08:52 AM
Hello gents,
Here is a fake Nordfront cross.

Attached picture p10057897.jpg
Posted By: Hans N Re: Nordfront Cross - 04/30/2009 08:53 AM
the cross is very good if not knowing what to look at

Attached picture p10057899.jpg
Posted By: Hans N Re: Nordfront Cross - 04/30/2009 08:54 AM
Here is a side by side comparison with a original cross that will give some information.

Attached picture p10057901.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 04/30/2009 11:31 PM
I've been wanting to see a fake. Thanks Hans for showing us.. Any more info on them? Made from partial original tooling?
By who?
Any others?
Are they doing the small 'march' pins?
Posted By: Hans N Re: Nordfront Cross - 05/01/2009 08:56 AM
Hello Gaspare,

unfortunatly i don�t have mutch information on how, who and where. I did see a Lappland cross center piece die for sale a few years back and i wouldn�t be surprised if any of the Nordfront cross dies are out there as well.

As for the small "march" badges i�ve seen copys of the Kirkenes-Petsamo-Murmansk and other dubious ones as well.

My guess is that these finnish fakes either originates out of Finland or Russia.
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2009 07:23 PM
Any more info. on these badges or reproductions?

--dj--Joe
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/16/2014 05:37 PM
Seemed a good time to bring this around once again. smile
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/16/2014 06:20 PM
I posted these elsewhere, but will post my 6 crosses here, plus my fobs.

John

Attached picture Four Nordfront, Two Eismeerfront.JPG
Attached picture Two Eismeerfront Black.JPG
Attached picture Two Nordfront Black.JPG
Attached picture Two Nordfront White.JPG
Attached picture Obverse.JPG
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/18/2014 02:44 AM
oh man John,,those are all sweet!! Good going!
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 08/23/2014 06:28 PM
Like that last pictured fob.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/27/2015 09:30 AM
May

Attached picture DSC_0042.JPG
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/27/2015 10:04 AM
Black:

Those are super. Thank you for sharing.

John
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/27/2015 08:26 PM
a bit more

Attached picture DSC_0011_cr.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0103_cr.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0158_cr.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0237_cr.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/27/2015 11:44 PM
Black... man! really nice... I've had to give up on collecting certain areas and certainly miss these items! Very nice collection,,please post more if you can!
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 08:44 AM
Thank you for the nice words ! I am glad that you liked my collection . I Pursuing this theme a few years , and if it is interesting to tell what kind of information was able to gather .
Let's start ...

Kirkenes Petsamo Murmansk
Probably the most rare sign. Badge released in memory of transfer of powers Norwegian SS volunteers in the area of Kirkenes , Petsamo and Murmansk in 1944 . It is a white and blue round mark in the form of a map of the area Petsamo . The bulk of the outstanding characters received Norwegian volunteers (2nd SS police squadron ) . Know the approximate number of issued signs ranges from 1000-2000 pieces. Signs were issued in 1944 . Sign of the semi-official , the purchase . Price mark was 50 FIM for that period prices.
In October 1943, the Germans formed the 2nd company of Police SS ( numbering 160 persons ) led by Major police Sturmbannfuhrer Norwegian Egil SS Joel . In late 1943, the 2nd company of Police SS transferred at Murmansk and incorporated into the 6th SS Mountain Division "Nord" . In December 1943, in Oslo for guard duty at government facilities and participate in ceremonial events formed a protective 6th Battalion SS "Norway" numbering 360 persons .
In January 1944, the ski ( Jaeger ) SS battalion "Norway" numbering 700 persons , which is formed in Finland , under the command of SS gaupshturmfyurera Frode Halle transferred to the front area of the Murmansk region. 25 - July 26, 1944 in a battle with 731 rifle regiment of the Red Army in the village of Louhi (Karelia ) detachment consisting of 300 soldiers ski ( Jaeger ) SS battalion "Norway" , lost 190 men killed and captured .
In August 1944, of the volunteers was formed 3rd SS police troop strength of 150 people . The Norwegian company of the SS came to the Eastern Front near Murmansk , but the defeat and out of Finland from the war , which led to the retreat of the German troops from its territory , has led to the fact that to take part in the battles 3rd police company did not have time . She was sent back to Norway , and in the end , the company was disbanded .
At this time, the ski ( Jaeger ) SS battalion "Norway" waged battles with the Finnish troops at Kuusamo , Rovaniemi and Muonio , covering a withdrawal of German troops from Finland to Norway. In November, the ski battalion of the SS was transformed into a 506 - th police battalion of the SS, and he took part in the struggle with the forces of the Norwegian resistance.

Attached picture DSC_0002_cr.jpg
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 08:58 AM
Rovaniemi Petsamo Salla

Sign in blue enamel against a white polar map Finland image carts specifying the geographic location of Petsamo and Salla Rovaniemi . The sign is dedicated to the transfer of German forces to the Soviet border . Sign of the semi-official , the purchase . Price mark was 50 FIM for that period prices. German Hohere Kommando XXXVI is the headquarters of the Army Corps , who was from the beginning of 1941 in Oslo. He obeyed three divisions - 69 , 214 and 199 formed over the division , as well as part of the SS brigade chief of staff , Colonel AK Count Dohna January 23, 1941 learned from the chief of staff of the army "Norway" Colonel Bushenhagena its intention to use the army corps against the Soviet Union in the operation, planned from Finland. By practical action began only at the end of April, when on April 18 announced the division of staff into two parts : stay in Norway and sent to Finland. Operating Directive army "Norway" were received April 20, 1941 A Prescription - defense and Petsamo nickel mines - was known even before that . But prescription B - best offensive in the direction of the main attack Rovaniemi - Salla - Kandalaksha and Murmansk railway, was a completely new and unexpected. The operation would be carried out by the German division , coming from Germany ; special units of the Army Corps kicking the sea of Norway; a Finnish division and motorized SS group "Nord" , which comes from Northern Norway.

Attached picture IMG_0965.JPG
Attached picture ?????????????????????2.jpg
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 09:13 AM
Petsamo . Rectangular Finnish sign travel depicting two Finnish soldiers and a machine gun . Sign in blue enamel. It made in 1942-43 . Soviet Russia was the Tartu Peace Treaty ceded Petsamo region of Finland. February 14, 1921 on its territory was formed province of Petsamo , but already January 1, 1922 Petsamo province was annexed to the province of Oulu , in which the province of Petsamo became one municipality.In 1936 the area became part of the province of Petsamo Lappi isolated from Oulu. In 1944, Petsamo was transferred to the Soviet Union, which in 1947 was confirmed by the Paris Peace Treaty. Later it became a city Pechenga. The Germans in the Pechenga group were part of 302, commanded by Oberstleutnant Andexer, also aware of the presence in the region 137 gebirgsj�ger Regiment.The sign was designed and produced on behalf of the Finnish Society of war invalids, and is designed specifically for the Germans - all advertising and all known inscriptions sales were in German, and sold them to the Germans on 50 Finnish marks in favor of the Finnish war invalids.

Attached picture Petsamo 1.jpg
Attached picture Petsamo 2.jpg
Attached picture !5.jpg
Attached picture 1 (2)frfrf.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0032_cr.jpg
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 09:43 AM
Rovaniemi Petsamo
Sign in blue enamel on a white background Finland picture map polar reindeer indicating the geographic location of Pechenga and Rovaniemi. The most common and frequent in honor of 820-kilometer long and transition (forced march) from Rovaniemi to Petsamo parts of the 20th Army (including the 6th SS Mountain Division "Nord", 137, 138, 139 gornoegerskie shelves all up to 20,000 people) from October 25 to December 2, 1941 Eismeerstra�e (Arctic road, Imperial road №50). In Lapland there are no major highways and railway lines.Mainly by water, on the sea, you can quickly reach the remote port towns. Only in the area of Kirkenes has a network of roads that links some smaller settlements with each other. The Finns built from Petsamo highway to the south, which was called Aysmeershtrasse (Eismeerstra�e), and Russian north-south rail track laid in the development of strategic and commercial and industrial importance of the Arctic sea ice-free ports.
The semi-official award for the transition, for the German soldiers were provided the issuance premium sheet. This was also a sign of the purchased.
In 1938 the road was given the number 4, the beginning of it was in Helsinki, and the length of 1498 km. After the discovery of copper-nickel deposit and began to develop the road transport of ore was produced, and after the construction of a seaport in Liinakhamari - exports. Of particular importance was the road in 1940-41. When it was in fact the only "corridor" from Finland and Sweden, and in those time the peak transportation. Since 1940, engaged in transportation transport company Poholan Oy AB (translation - JSC "Northern Transport"), which was under the control of the truck 1573 (including 516 of its own), most of them with trailers. Also involved in the transportation companies in Sweden, Norway and Germany. In 1944 the road was "torn" new border and then used much less.

Attached picture DSC_0013_cr.jpg
Attached picture DSC_0024.JPG
Attached picture ????????????????4.jpg
Attached picture ????????????????4j_cr.jpg
Attached picture Petsamo Rovaniemi 6.JPG
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 09:52 AM
Finnish tourist signs - a unique phenomenon in the world faleristics. It was originally invented for tourists as the memory of visiting cities and districts in Finland, but gained popularity and spread of the realities of war in the country for the Wehrmacht, and Finland. Many of the soldiers have gained these signs as a souvenir of the passage of the fighting, the transition of service in a given area, the sign served as a memory of the "battle road" soldier in Finland. And of course, demand creates supply, Finnish jewelry, and simple workshops began en masse to produce these products. So simple tourist signs they became semi-official commemorative sign. And after the war and the advent of peace in Europe, they have not lost their relevance, and continued their production. Here's a way to have done these signs of civilians - during the war, from the military - in the civilian.
Of course, these signs are not military awards, but rather a memorable sign of Finnish-German "brotherhood-in-arms." All the signs have been purchased, the average price of FIM 50 at the time.
As to the uniform or insignia of the Wehrmacht, these signs are not related, the openly worn, were sanctions for violation of dress code. There is mention that the soldiers serving on vacation, as an exception was allowed to wear a badge for the transition Petsamo - ing (though it was a no document). The bulk of them were on the suspension birtsipfel under tunic. Mountain rangers cap bergmyuttse on the left side of the edelweiss. The Finns had the same story with the uniforms, and resourceful Finns found out - worn on the sword belt, regulations which are not covered.
After the release of Finland's coalition with the third Reich in 1944, when the withdrawal of German troops from Finland, has been thrown a huge number of characters, including state awards in Finland and "Lapland" crosses.
In 1955 - 1957 years, was taken reissue marks, the more likely they were addressed to the veterans. This project has been a great commercial and charity, for the financial and moral maintain veterans.

Attached picture Petsamo Rovaniemi 14_cr.jpg
Attached picture frferf_cr.jpg
Posted By: Mike (aka Byzanti) Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 12:07 PM
Black, that is a stunning collection and no small amount of effort went into the research and sharing of these incredible pictures and stories...thank you so much for sharing it with us (VERY lucky) members of gdc.
Mike
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/28/2015 02:52 PM
Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your collection.

The Kirkenes Petsamo Murmansk badge is a treat to see.
The 820 Km march document is interesting. I do not recall having ever seen one.

Regards, --dj--Joe
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/29/2015 04:52 AM
yes, some really good [and interesting] information !!, ,and the 2 rings are really nice. Hard to find in any condition. Thanks for posting them! wink
Posted By: black120878 Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/29/2015 06:52 PM
Here's another set of dedicated continuation of the war of 1941-44, a plain ring Aunus, its owner could be 2 or 4 soldiers division of the Finnish army.

Battles North of Lake Ladoga
North of Lake Ladoga, too, the frontline was unchanged from the spring 1942 battles. The Finnish units were divided into two groups: Group Aunus (V and VI Corps) at the River Svir (Syv�ri in Finnish) and on the western shore of Onega and Group Maaselk� (Later II Corps) between Group Aunus and German 20th Mountain Army in the north. After the Soviet attack on 9 June the operational reserves of Group Aunus, 17th Division as well as 20th Brigade, were moved to the Karelian Isthmus. The operational reserve of II Corps, the 4th Division, was also moved there.

Attached picture 5.jpg
Attached picture 2_cr.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/30/2015 01:54 AM
some Finn rings I thought you would like to look at:

http://phpstack-500133-1583587.cloudwaysapps.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=304962#Post304962
Posted By: derjager Re: Nordfront Cross - 06/24/2018 03:44 PM
Bringing this back to the top. Some good info and images.

--dj--Joe
© Your new forums