UBB.threads
Posted By: Skynyrd Sub badge for opinions - 11/13/2013 02:43 AM
Wow pretty dusty, should have at least blown it off before taking pis.
What do you guys think of this one, have had it for years but never took the time to research it.

Attached picture 1 (Medium).jpg
Attached picture 2 (Medium).jpg
Posted By: J.R.Scott Re: Sub badge for opinions - 11/15/2013 01:34 AM
I think your badge is good.
Posted By: SSman Re: Sub badge for opinions - 11/15/2013 06:05 AM
I agree with Jamie. I think this is the only manufacturer that had the cutout swastika!
Rod
Posted By: stratocaster3 Re: Sub badge for opinions - 11/15/2013 12:22 PM
I have a Schwerin badge I bought 15 years ago with original box out of an estate collection. I am therefore assuming it is an original. Who knows. Meets all specs I have researched. The badges look very similar with some minute exceptions. The font on your badge is heavier, the pin is thicker near the hinge and when viewed from the rear particularly the cutout area beneath the sub, on yours you can see the irregular outline of the leaves. On mine it is smooth. Having said that the features are 98% the same. I also assume your badge is marked Schwerin 68. These are considered by collectors to be the Cadillacs of sub badges. My guess is they are both good badges but different dies. Just my opinion. I'm no expert and buy to add interest to my navy dagger collection.
Posted By: derjager Re: Sub badge for opinions - 11/15/2013 01:37 PM
There are a number of differences among Schwerin U-boat badges. Hand finishing being one cause.

Going off just the maker mark - at this point in time the extra large mark is considered by those who study these as a fake.
The one shown is an example of the extra large maker mark.

I'll keep researching the available info.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Sub badge for opinions - 11/16/2013 08:41 AM
Yes, I have noticed a difference in the pin between accepted originals, and it does say "Schwerin Berlin 68".
Was going to dust it off a bit and put it on estand, but I'll hold off a while and see if anything clears up one way or the other.
Posted By: all1knew Re: Sub badge for opinions - 12/16/2013 03:49 PM
This badge is a reproduction in my opinion.

William Kramer
Posted By: all1knew Re: Sub badge for opinions - 12/17/2013 02:06 AM
To me there are numerous things wrong with the badge, eagle's head, wreath, the reverse hinge assembly, the catch, as well as the maker mark, the overall finish, and of course the reverse pin.

Here's what an original would look like (not the variety with the silver flat-wire catch though)

William Kramer

Attached picture schwerin.jpg
Attached picture schwerin rev.jpg
Posted By: RFI Re: Sub badge for opinions - 12/18/2013 04:54 PM
The originally posted badge is a horrible fake, the following one is a gorgeous original!
Bob
Posted By: all1knew Re: Sub badge for opinions - 12/19/2013 02:21 AM
references:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=204125

http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710142

http://www.warrelics.eu/forum/orders-dec...en-fake-375953/
© Your new forums