UBB.threads
Posted By: WWII Unusual DJ Badge - 04/13/2011 09:28 PM
Can anyone help identifying this postwar hunting pin that was based on the NS Deutsche J�gerschaft example? Looks like someone had the original design completely re-done for their own hunting organization?

Any of you gentlemen seen anything like it or have any idea of what the �.�. stands for? .. possibly Austrian ..?

Comments and/or ideas most welcomed!

Thanks and best regards!

Bill

Attached picture djpostwar.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/14/2011 09:57 AM
Got a private answer so I thought I'd share ...

The initials are o.�.j.v. - Ober�sterreichs J�ger Verband - Upper Austrian Hunter's Association. a present day organization

Best regards and good collecting!

B~
Posted By: derjager Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/14/2011 10:09 PM
Interesting Bill. I had the initials o.o. j.v. figured but don't think I'd have gotten any further.

I wonder why they didn't opt for the shining cross between its antlers?

--dj--Joe
Posted By: WWII Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/16/2011 10:27 AM
Joe,

Good question? It does have a subtle suggestion of a Christian cross, but just a shadow of its usual importance. Has 'political-correctness' run amok in our modern world?
... it's a good possibility the club members decided to become a non-denominational outfit? We could ask them directly as it's still a functioning organization ...

In the meantime let's have a look at one of the nicest St. Hubertus badges I've ever seen, courtesy of our old buddy, hunting and forestry Meister, Gary Southgate. Thanks G.

At nearly 4 inches long this hand cut, brass skull figure is built of several components, pinned at the crown and the center of the cross to the starburst. The way this thing is cut, shaped and engraved is really a marvel - every time you look at it you find another nuance to enjoy. It's always a personal pleasure for me to see what a real "master-craftsman" can do with his hands and mind, no matter if he's a metalsmith, stone-mason or fine artist.

If that's not enough to pique one's interest, there's a beautifully engraved presentation on the reverse that tells us this was a 1934 Christmas gift that took 50 man-hours to complete, from a locksmith in Leipzig to his friend, "Kam. Thier." (Kamerad)

Would any of you have any handmade period items like this that you could share with us, possibly an emblem, award or medal?

Best!

Bill

Attached picture DJ2sm.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/16/2011 10:28 AM
Handarbeit ...

Attached picture DJsm.jpg
Attached picture DJ3sm.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/16/2011 10:29 AM
Handarbeit ...

Attached picture DJ1934b2sm.jpg
Posted By: Ian Hayes Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/17/2011 02:09 AM
That is a very nice peice of craftsmanship. Thanks, Bill.
Posted By: derjager Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/17/2011 04:49 PM
Wow, I wish I did have something like that exquisite non portable presentation piece to share.
Thank you Bill and thanks to Mr. Gary Southgate.

--dj--Joe
Posted By: Krullies Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/17/2011 09:25 PM
Originally Posted By: WWII
Handarbeit ...

Hi William! So THATS what it is ... truly amazing, very skilled, and very pretty in the proper colour green velvet, thanks for sharing your totally unique Deutsche J�gerschaft badge! Whats the inscription say? Please? I cant see from the pics?

Bye,
KR
Posted By: WWII Re: Unusual DJ Badge - 04/18/2011 08:51 AM
Ian, Joe & Karin,

Glad you enjoyed seeing Gary's little masterwork. wink

The dedication reads:

"Geschenk v Schlosser O. H�ttig Leipzig
f. Kam. Thier Weihn. 1934 Arbeitszeit 50 Std."

Kind regards!

B~
© Your new forums