UBB.threads
Posted By: Skynyrd Exciting dumpster find - 07/26/2020 01:27 AM
Found a photo album with all kinds of WW2 pics, obviously from the south pacific theater and probably Guadalcanal. Many pics, US aircraft I have id'ed so far are F4U, B-25 P-38 and Helldiver, also pics of wrecked Japanese aircraft. Some pics of [what I presume to be] dead Japanese soldiers KIA, also found what I believe is a captured Japanese letter to home, if anyone can translate let me know.
oh sheesh, forget about the minuscule attachment size here, I'll update when and if I resize pics don't feel like it now
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/26/2020 02:47 AM
https://imgur.com/a/pfY5ZgN
Posted By: Vern Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/26/2020 03:08 AM
Photos....

Attached picture qgCc57b.jpg
Attached picture a43ng0s.jpg
Posted By: Gaspare Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/27/2020 02:35 PM
you can change the file size on your camera,,,or scan them at a small size....I try and take a big area shot,,then crop most away just to the image and that works for me. OR crop a little and when they show the size at 100% change it to 70 ans see if its the right size... Everyone has their own ways...

- would love to see some of them.. anyone that can translate the back of the PC?? wonder what that could be all about........
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/27/2020 08:44 PM
Here is a reply I got on another form ;[not even military related forum]

A little more on the postcard. I can't help with the personal message but the caption under the picture says:

?Painted by Ono Saseo.
The natives heartily welcomed the Imperial army.
A balloon saying ?[long] live great Asia? was floating in the sky. In the infinitely vast sky.?

At the bottom right of the picture is ?2602? for the 2,602nd year of the Imperial reigns (=1942) with Saseo?s signature below.

Then on the other side:

The orange printing at the bottom (in my edit of your original pic) says: ?Published by Osamu Shuudan (Osamu Army Group, which is a nickname for the 16th Army) Headquarters.?

At the top right it says "Yubin Hagaki" (Postcard)

At the top left it says: ?Gunji Yubin? (Military Mail) and underneath that: ?Censored?. The empty box would have to be stamped in red with a censor?s mark to confirm that any sensitive military information had been removed before the postcard could be sent.

So it appears certain that this was a captured IJA postcard which never made it home, and almost certainly from Guadalcanal.
Posted By: Dave Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/27/2020 09:52 PM
Doug,

Not much in the way Japanese things, from postcards to humans beings, ever made it home from Guadalcanal.

I am re-reading "The Rising Sun" by John Toland. It is a history of the Pacific war and a lot of it is written from the Japanese view. Guadalcanal is covered in great detail.

Dave
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/28/2020 12:49 AM
I've always been fascinated by Guadalcanal, as a kid I seemed to be only interested in the ETO, once I branched out to the pacific, Guadalcanal was what I first started reading about.
Not only the viscous struggle on the ground of course, but air and sea, where we took out biggest naval hit after Pearl Harbor at Savo. I seem to recall a couple nights where the Japs came by at night with a battleship no less and shellacked the island, and there was nothing we could do about it at that point. Also remember the Gottege [?] patrol, a force of over a dozen US guys who went on a patrol and were never heard of again until this very day.
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/28/2020 02:06 AM
attempt

Attached picture IMG_5470.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5471.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5472.jpg
Attached picture IMG_5473.jpg
Posted By: Skynyrd Re: Exciting dumpster find - 07/28/2020 02:08 AM
I believe the ruins of the beached Japanese maru top left are still visible today
Posted By: sellick8302@rogers.com Re: Exciting dumpster find - 08/01/2020 02:19 PM
WOW what a great find and album cheers, Ryan
© Your new forums