UBB.threads
Posted By: b_vanfossen Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/10/2008 10:25 PM
I have aquired a flag with GI's information such as rank (at the time), last name, & state they were from.

I'm trying to track down these heroes. Can someone please point me in the right direction of how to do that?

Thanks,
Brian
Posted By: militarymania Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 01:18 AM
try checking the cemeteries,,,lol... Wink
Posted By: b_vanfossen Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 03:55 AM
nice
Posted By: WWII Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 08:38 AM
Brian,

A gentleman named Rob McDivitt does all sorts of military-related research, he might be able to help or at least point you in the right direction, he's quite good in that area.

Here's his email address: [email protected]

I hope this might help a bit more than that less than humorous answer above...

Best of luck!

Bill Warda
Posted By: b_vanfossen Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 05:07 PM
Hey Bill -

thanks for that information! I just fired off an email to him.

Brian
Posted By: b_vanfossen Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 05:29 PM
Bill-

the email was returned with errer "recipients failed permanently" meaning that the email address is no longer good or is the wrong one...

Does he have a website?

Thanks,
Brian
Posted By: WWII Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 06:19 PM
Brian,

Sorry about that, try this: [email protected]

I think that's his new address, let me know, ok?

Cool

Bill
Posted By: b_vanfossen Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 10/11/2008 07:03 PM
ok- thanks. I just sent an email to that address. I'll let you know what happens!
Posted By: Chief Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 11/03/2008 02:38 AM
Brian,

How did you make out?
I have two similar flags that I am currently trying to research names from.

Chief
Posted By: Z06Berlin Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 11/03/2008 04:43 AM
Try the Army Personnel records center in St. Louis http://www.archives.gov/st-louis/. Jim
Hi All:

You might also try the WWII Army Enlistment Records on the National Archives website. The database title is "Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946" and can be accessed at this link:

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=WR26

I have found this a very useful starting point in researching items where you just have a name, possibly a hometown, and/or full or partial serial number.

Several years ago, my uncle (a Marine veteran) was contacted by a California collector through a national internet phone number search. The collector wanted to know if my uncle was one of the guys who had signed a Japanese flag with their names and hometowns that had been captured in 1945. My uncle was one of the Marines! The flag was sent out and he took it to a unit reunion. Several of the men who had signed it in 1945 were attending the reunion and were photographed with the flag. It was then returned to the collector. My uncle, who has since passed away last year, was elated to have had this relic surface again after all of these years. It's just another example of the power of the internet in making connections today.

Regards,

Ross Kelbaugh
www.ssdaggers.com
Posted By: b_vanfossen Re: Help with GI Research PLS... - 11/03/2008 03:22 PM
Ross-

thanks for the tip. I have been using the site and have spoken to one of the vets on my my flag. I then wrote him and a letter with pics of the flag incl. his name and he responded with pics of himself in uniform.

Very cool!
© Your new forums