UBB.threads
Posted By: Mike Balazic Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 03:38 PM
I hope these pictures are good enough to be able to translate the presentation or award.

Attached picture Presentation_Panel_1.JPG
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 03:39 PM

Attached picture Presentation_Panel_2.JPG
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 03:40 PM

Attached picture Presentation_Panel_3.JPG
Posted By: Mikee Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 05:39 PM
Mike,
"Honor present(gift)from(of)the Jagdschutz Club in the Rhein Province" Translation should be very close, maybe someone better at this can clean it up.

Nice find!! lets see some more, please!!!
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 05:58 PM
Thanks Mikee! I will follow up later on Houston's forum when I get some time.
Posted By: WWII Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 08:23 PM
Hi Mike,

Mikee's got that translation dead-nuts on. Smile

Hope you'll show us more photos when you get some time, looks neat.

Best!

Bill
Posted By: ivbaust Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 09:41 PM
quote:
Honor present(gift)from(of)the Jagdschutz Club in the Rhein Province

Yes, it is an "honor present" (Ehrengeschenk) of the "hunting protection club" (Jagdschutzverein) of the "Rhine province" (Rheinprovinz).
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/16/2008 09:56 PM
Thanks guys! I'll try to get pics on by tomorrow.
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/17/2008 03:26 AM
I could be wrong but does that not say from ALL the clubs??
Posted By: Mikee Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/17/2008 04:21 AM
Houston,
The way it's written I translate it as one club. I think it's because you see an "s" at the end of Vereins right?
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/17/2008 01:25 PM
Yes--I would think that would mean more than one. I see it without the s most of the time. I also don't find it unusual that there could have been several clubs in one area as they were not united at that time
Posted By: ivbaust Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/17/2008 09:50 PM
It is for sure only one club, as it says "... des Jagdschutzvereins ...", which is the German singular genitive.

If it would be more than one and/or all clubs of the Rhine province, it must mean "... der Jagdschutzvereine ...", which is plural genitive in German language.
Posted By: Houston Coates Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/17/2008 10:28 PM
Interesting. Seems strange to me. How then can you explain Adolf Hitler " DER FUHRER " ?
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/18/2008 08:16 PM
Here are some additional close ups.

Attached picture WKC_Presentation_Panel_4.JPG
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/18/2008 08:17 PM

Attached picture WKC_Presentation_Panel_5.JPG
Posted By: Mike Balazic Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/18/2008 08:17 PM

Attached picture WKC_Presentation_Panel_6.JPG
Posted By: ivbaust Re: Presentation Panel on Hunting Dagger - 01/19/2008 09:50 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Houston Coates:
Interesting. Seems strange to me. How then can you explain Adolf Hitler " DER FUHRER " ?

Well, Houston Coates, German grammar is sometimes quite tricky ... even for us Germans.

I am not a teacher of German language, but I will try to explain:

The uncapitalized German words "der", "die" and "das" are pronouns and are followed by a noun (e.g. "der F�hrer" or "der Jagdschutzverein").

The pronoun "der" is usually used for words with masculine gender ("der Mann" = the man or "der F�hrer" = the leader). The pronoun "die" is usually used for feminine gender (die Frau = the woman) and "das" for neuter words ("das Buch = the book").

But the pronoun "die" can also be used for plural masculine words, e.g. "der Mann" (the man), but "die M�nner" (the men). Another example: "der F�hrer" (one, single leader), but "die F�hrer" (two or more leaders).

Pronouns also change during declension of a noun (nominative, genitive, dative and accusative).

Example:

Nominative (singular): "der F�hrer", "der Jagdschutzverein"
Genitive (singular): "des F�hrers", "des Jagdschutzvereins"
Dativ (singular): "dem F�hrer", "dem Jagdschutzverein"
Accusative (singular): "den F�hrer", "den Jagdschutzverein"

If plural is used, the pronouns can be again different:

Nominative (plural): "die F�hrer", "die Jagdschutzvereine"
Genitive (plural): "der F�hrer", "der Jagdschutzvereine"
Dativ (plural): "den F�hrern", "den Jagdschutzvereinen"
Accusative (plural): "die F�hrer", "die Jagdschutzvereine"

Sometimes the ending of the noun also changes, meaning another letter is added to the ending of the noun.

As you can see, German language and grammer can be quite confusing sometimes.

But coming back now to the inscription in question, it is for 100% sure that it means a single club, as the writing "des Jagdschutzvereins" unambiguously indicates that this is in German grammer the singular Genitive.

I hope this little German grammar lesson was understandable Smile
© Your new forums