UBB.threads
Posted By: lach470 name translation please - 08/03/2007 07:01 PM
Hi guys...I'm doing some research and I'm having a hard time understanding what this name is...Can anyone help? Here are two pics (with and without flash) - they are the best I could do. Hard to take pics of.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Rob

Attached picture poletop_018_(750_x_562).jpg
Posted By: lach470 Re: name translation please - 08/03/2007 07:13 PM
Here's a darker pic...thanks again!

ROb

Attached picture poletop_017_(750_x_562).jpg
Posted By: lach470 Re: name translation please - 08/03/2007 07:16 PM
DOn't know if any of this info might help...but this is off a German helmet that was taken in Metz in Sept. 44. The soldier it was taken from was actually a student (officer candidate) at the Fahnenjunker school in Metz, who had been pressed into service by the SS.
Does the fact that this soldier was an officer candidate at this school help?

Cheers
Rob
Posted By: wotan Re: name translation please - 08/04/2007 07:46 AM
lach470, please, at least one sharp photograph with light conditions about the first one. Otherwise I see no chance for me even for a try to decypher. The first pic is much too blurry, in the second one I personally can see really nothing.
Regards,
Posted By: lach470 Re: name translation please - 08/04/2007 01:38 PM
Yikes..I wish I could get you a better picture but I don't have the helmet with me. It belongs to a veteran friend of mine who lives about 9 hours away! Other collectors have thought the name might be Herentger and possibly Jos underneath.
Thanks again for your time on this. Sorry I can't produce more pictures for you.
Cheers!
Rob
Posted By: wotan Re: name translation please - 08/04/2007 08:31 PM
Lach470, I do understand the difficulties to get better pics but my best try on this would be "Heientg??" (?? stands for two letters I cannot even seriously assume) and, yes, perhaps "Jos" of Josef. Sorry that I cannot be of more help. Perhaps other forum members can do better.
Regards,
Posted By: lach470 Re: name translation please - 08/05/2007 03:58 AM
Thanks so much for your help with this. I appreciate your time and efforts! I realize the pics are not the best.

Cheers!

Rob
Posted By: ivbaust Re: name translation please - 08/08/2007 01:25 PM
My guess:

Heientgen, Joh.

"Heientgen" is then the family name and "Joh" is an abbreviation of the first name and could stand for either "Johann" or "Johannes".

But I�m not 100% sure, just a guess from the pic. Maybe it helps or stimulates others to guess.
Posted By: lach470 Re: name translation please - 08/08/2007 05:15 PM
Hey...Thanks! I never considered the Joh possibility. Your time on this is much appreciated!
Cheers!
Rob
© Your new forums