UBB.threads
Posted By: Dutchman C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 11/07/2017 02:25 AM
Hello again fellow collectors.I have a few questions about an SA Rohm Dagger blade buy C.E.I was offered.Pix to follow.Thanks Dutchman.

Posted By: Redbaron Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 11/07/2017 11:17 AM
Real blade with completely fake inscription, nothing correct about it.
Posted By: ChriSS Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 12/07/2017 04:16 PM
Fake, Eurotrash.
Posted By: MarcGB Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 12/07/2017 04:31 PM
I'm not even sure about it... Trade mark is (IMHO) laser etched.

Regards,

Marc
Mark is right: this is not a correct Eickhorn maker mark, this blade is 100% fabrication.

Lose blades are in 95% of the cases problematic and that is why they end up removed from their dagger.

Best regards,

Herman
Posted By: Larry C Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 12/10/2017 01:35 AM
Tang Marking "A5" is Ernst Pack ...may have been a left over blade blank.

Curious of the billet clamp marks on side of tang
Posted By: Redbaron Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 12/11/2017 03:59 PM
I believe this is a genuine blade, fakes typically don't have the raised foundry/forge markings, and this particular foundry mark is known to be period. Obviously the Rohm inscription and maker mark are fake and poorly executed, I imagine the SA motto on the reverse is correct and period, however not Eickhorn.

The M/O for some forgers is to take a period blade, grind the reverse clean and re-etch mottos and maker marks which are seldom even close to correct. SS fake blades often started out as SA blades, both sides ground and replaced with new mottos and maker marks. This is partly why you never encounter "correct" crossgrain polishing on the forgeries as it is difficult to replicate accurately.

Red
Posted By: MarcGB Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 12/11/2017 05:42 PM
Thanks for your explanations Red.

Regards,

Marc
Posted By: Jeronimo Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 03/14/2018 03:02 PM
I have recently seen that exact fake etch with complete Rohm facsimile signature for sale with an Anton Wingen laser etched logo.
The tang markings were different, so I agree with Red in that the faker starts off with any available genuine blade.
The faker has tried to be more convincing by crudely grounding off the name in this example!
However, if you do a side-by-side comparison of the etch with a genuine one, the fake is quickly identified!

BTW, I have contacted the seller and he has promised to remove it from his online inventory!
When done respectfully, thus not "crucifying" the seller, it's quite easy to get cooperation.
The focus must be on collectors (especially new people) not getting duped! Nice thread BTW!!
Posted By: Grumpy Re: C.E Rohm Dagger questions. - 03/16/2018 07:18 PM
In addition to what all has been said, the maker mark is too far toward the tip of the blade. Knowing this can make for quick identification of fakes. However, even blades with the mark properly placed should be carefully scrutinized.
© Your new forums