UBB.threads
Posted By: DASH SA Röhm crossguards - 10/10/2008 03:11 AM
Hello - Does anyone have any thoughts on this: I bought a SA sight unseen from a co-worker in 1964 for $25. I worked with him for 6 years (he was an ex army POW in Germany), and still know him. He brought the dagger home personally.

It turned out to be a fully ground Röhm (with a few traces and a complete makers mark), made by E. Wustof with a Wf district mark. The dagger is in overall good/v good condition except for the usual wear to the anodised scabbard and a flattened ball tip. Overall fit, including grip/crossguards is very good. As I have never had this dagger apart, I decided to remove the grip and check for rust. Every thing was fine, but upon looking for the crossguard casters mark, I found the upper was marked St, and the lower PWA. As I am as close as possible to knowing that this dagger was untouched when I purchased it, my question is, are mismatched fittings common?

Dan
Posted By: DASH Re: SA Röhm crossguards - 10/11/2008 01:32 AM
Just noticed a duplicate Wusthof Röhm, also marked Wf, in almost identical condition posted in the For Sale section by MAZZ - too bad the grip was not taken apart. I wonder what the caster marks are on that Wusthof?
Posted By: DASH Re: SA Röhm crossguards - 10/12/2008 10:44 PM
Does anyone have any opinions whether or not dagger manufacturers put any effort into matching fittings if they had more than one subcontractor?

I have a P D Luneschloss M33 SA (not a Röhm) that has a K 2 upper and a K 3 lower, probably the same caster, different part number.

As it is almost impossible to determine if crossguards, no matter how they are marked, are original to a dagger (as long as fit tolerances and material type match), does anyone have an opinion on how mismatched caster IDs on crossguards may affect dagger value or perceived originality?

Dan
© Your new forums