UBB.threads
Posted By: Karlsruhe Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/05/2006 03:04 PM
Hello,Last summer I purchased a partial or Lazy Man ground Roehm(#SAGPR-001) from Tom Whittmann;the first in that category on his list--pictures stillthere-would have left a link but don't know how.I love the dagger and you can see a lot of the dedication but the fittings are all covered with nicotine.The dagger is gorgeous and untouched but does this harm the fittings or if I clean it ,will this screw up the value? Your opinions are valuable.Thank you.Hugh.
Posted By: Dave Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/05/2006 03:35 PM
You will find people who favor leaving it alone as well as those who would clean it.

I don't think the nicotine will harm it, but if it were mine I would clean it off. I am not talking about polishing the whole thing up, just getting the nicotine off. Damp paper towels should do the trick.

Dave
Posted By: Landser Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/05/2006 05:41 PM
I would also get the grime off it & it`s not going to affect the value. Wink
Posted By: Gailen David Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/05/2006 10:40 PM
Clean the blade with Semi-chrome, Keep it out of the scabbard and leave it alone.

Gailen David
Posted By: Ruski Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/05/2006 11:22 PM
If you use any semi chrome on the blade, you should make sure you don't get any of it in the motto, maker mark or remainder of the dedication.
Personally, I'd leave the whole thing untouched - from the pics on the site, it looks great!

Regards
Russell
Posted By: Dave Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/05/2006 11:53 PM
You don't need to use anything on the blade but soap and water. Take the dagger apart and wash the blade in the sink with dishwashing liquid. You would be surprised to see how nice it looks.

If you would like me to clean it (gently) for you, send me an email: dave@germandaggers.com

No money involved. I enjoy helping new guys.

Dave
Posted By: WW2-Collector Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/06/2006 12:16 AM
I agree with Gailens comment. This nicotine patina in some cases will increase the value and bring a premium I personally don’t buy any daggers that have been cleaned they just turn me off. I do believe in carefully cleaning the blade and I use renwax on mine. I keep my blades in the scabbard I figure they have been in their 60 years already so...
Posted By: Karlsruhe Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/06/2006 02:37 AM
Hi,Many thanks for all your opinions on this--really appreciate it.Hugh. Smile
Posted By: Bob Rodgers Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/06/2006 02:56 AM
Karlsrue ,

Great handle Smile

I as born there Smile Eek
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 03:41 AM
I would say, don't clean. Especially if you ever want to sell it. Although cleaning will not negatively impact the value, it may decrease the possible customer base.
Just an opinion...
Posted By: Landser Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 07:52 AM
If Heinrich Springer still has his dagger I would bet that it doesn`t have 60 years of grime on it. Heinrich Springer It would probably shine like a new pin. Of course if it were offered for sale there would be a limited market for such a well kept piece Big Grin
Posted By: Adam Kirchen Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 08:29 AM
Big Grin
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 04:36 PM
Yes, Vaughn I do not doubt you are correct in the belief that if good old Heinrich were still goose stepping around a retirement home with his dagger at his side, (a "sure fire" way to be put on HEAVY doses of meds.) it would surly gleam...
But that period in history is over, and the time that has passed since 1945 is reflected in everything. Especially those things which we consider to be "historic antiques". Both of those words eluding to a passage through time which we can neither control nor re-visit, hence the value of these pieces as being both antique and historic.
Age is a consistant side effect, I am afraid, of the passage of 60+ years. The result of this journey through time has left both Mr. Springer and his dagger...antiqued (Though I will assune that dear Heinrich looks the worse for wear by comaprison.). This age (and I am NOT speaking of "grime") is somthing that most antique collectiors consider to be of importance, because it speaks less to the authenticity of the piece and more to the history to which it can be attributed.
Hence much of the historical relevence and connection.
Infact I would question whether one can determine any other antique collectible which does not decrease in value by giving it a good cleaning from natural age or patina..
If there is "grime" clean it off, if there is natural age and patina, leave it be (IMO).
If someone ever decides in another 60 years to dig up dear Heinrich and sell his antique (yet period authentic Smile) corpse on the open market I personally would suggest avioding the temptation to run him threough a car wash, give him a shave, gel his hair back into place, or smear him with lip gloss to pretty him up. Just clean off any "grime" (so that he does not deteriorate further)and leave the poor old man alone! Wink

The above statement is only my OPINION, to each his own... After all, Heinrich may well look absolutely dashing in lip gloss! But I will pass...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 08:06 PM
Ahh, why is everybody so picky picky about dagger cleaning? What a colossal waste of time.
First you take that thing and toss it in a bucket with toilet bowl cleaner. Next you straighten out any defects with a good hammer. Then you go over to the benchgrinder and give it a good rub-down. Now you toss all the parts in a can of lye and let 'em soak for a while. After reassembly you wrap some bailing wire around the handle and hang it out the back porch to renew this here patiner. Now you are set for the big time showing off at the next MAX. Wink
Posted By: Gailen David Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 08:19 PM
Then it would only match the condition of 75% of the daggers at the SOS or the Max.

Gailen Razz
Posted By: Landser Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/07/2006 08:31 PM
Love it Johnny & M, Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
maybe this should be moved to the hobby humour forum Big Grin BTW did you peek at his web site?

There are some quotes on one page by various personages- one, of Manstein that I pasted into freetranslation.com came out quite nonsensical & "Von Manstein" came out translated as "Of one stone".......isn`t that what they said about Der Fuhrer? Big Grin
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/08/2006 05:05 AM
Actually yes, Mr. Vaughn , I did have a peek at the site, and was fascinated. I intend to purchase the book. (should be good for my german)
Please let me say (without offense) that the German language is very tricky to translate. I have studied the language and lived in Germany for several years and can point to a thousand german quotes that once translated into english make NO sense what-so-ever!!!!! It was the most frustrating aspect of learning German, when I was able to understand EVEY word in a sentence, but the sentence itself once translated directly made NO sense at all!!!
If you have a german quote to translate I am sure that I can be of assistance, otherwise I would suggest posting it under the translation forum... Best of luck,
Johnny V
Posted By: Johnny V. Re: Clean or Not To Clean. - 02/08/2006 05:07 AM
I did read through most of the quotes, they are GREAT!!! I will have more time tomorrow (as I will be at work Wink) and will post a translation of the quote that you refernece.
Until then
Johnny V.
© Your new forums