UBB.threads
Posted By: WWII A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/16/2014 11:59 AM
Gents,

You might enjoy seeing these links from a fifteenth-century shooting chain, the earliest examples that I've had the privelege to handle and examine. Here we have six leightweight, hand-cut, engraved, sheet silver shields from a truly antique shooting-club chain. The dates in chronological order are 1695, 1710, 1725, 1733, 1763, 1809.

These were recently acquired by our old friend and avid collector, Gary Southgate. A special note of thanks for sharing these with us. When Gary first brought these to my house in May I couldn't believe my eyes as he carefully unwrapped them and passed them over for inspection. It was difficult to make out the inscriptions as they were all virtually as black as coal, covered in dirt and hundreds of years of thick, mottled silver patina. After a couple of days of careful cleaning we're now able to appreciate the simple elegance of these special awards.

In the past we've discussed the fact that these specific German associations have a long history to them, with some of the club anniversary dates being hundreds of years old. I'm certain that these are the earliest examples posted on the GDC forums to date and I trust you might enjoy them. I've gained a whole new insight and appreciation for this age-old tradition.

Best regards to everyone and good collecting!

Bill

Ps Some of the events that made history in the year 1695:

Jan 13th - Jonathan Swift ordained an Anglican priest in Ireland.

Jan 27th - Mustafa II becomes the Ottoman sultan in Istanbul on the death of Ahmed II. Mustafa rules until his death in 1703.

Apr 30th - William Congreve's "Love for Love" premieres in London.

May 12th - English king William III departs to Netherlands.

Aug 4th - French garrison surrenders to Willem III.

Aug 11th - English & Dutch fleet capture Dunkerk.

Aug 13th/15th - French troops under Villeroi shoot in Brussels.

Sep 1st - Dutch/English army under king Willem III occupies
Names.

Sep 4th - French garrison of castle Names surrenders to Willem
III.

Sep 12th - NY Jews petition governor Dongan for religious liberties.

Oct 10th - King Willem III escapes South Netherlands, back to England.

Nov 20th - Zumbi, the last of the leaders of Quilombo dos Palmares in early Brazil and ex-slave, is executed.

Dec 31st - A window tax is imposed in England, causing many shopkeepers to brick up their windows to avoid the tax.

Attached picture early1sm.jpg
Attached picture early5sm.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/16/2014 12:00 PM
2/3

Attached picture early6sm.jpg
Attached picture early4sm.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/16/2014 12:01 PM
3/3

Attached picture early3sm.jpg
Attached picture early2sm.jpg
Posted By: lakesidetrader Re: A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/16/2014 01:02 PM
great bit of history.
Posted By: JohnZ Re: A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/16/2014 05:17 PM
Bill:

WOW!

Gary sure finds some nice stuff, doesn't he?

Thank you both for showing this.

BTW, I hazily remember a wild night of drinking Scotch and talking TR trash at your place not that long ago. wink

John
Posted By: WWII Re: A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/17/2014 11:12 AM
Paul & John,

Yes, a nice slice of history here, glad to be able to share them with you gentlemen. There's no doubt about Gary finding "the right stuff..." grin

John - I seem to vaguely remember that night too ..?
good fun!
crazy

Best!

B~
Posted By: Baz69 Re: A New Perspective on Shooting Clubs - 06/30/2014 08:51 PM
I remember picking these up just earlier this year and was pleased to add them to my collection, I really like these shields and they are easily the earliest shooting item I have, Thanks to Bill for posting them, these were all very difficult to make out, now we can all see the beauty in them.

Gary
© Your new forums