UBB.threads
Posted By: militarymania Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/25/2011 06:36 AM
Found this on an internet auction site,,,is it authentic or not?,,looks good to me,but opinions and comments solicited,,,

Attached picture pruss pilot 1.jpg
Attached picture pruss pilot 2.jpg
Posted By: WWII Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/25/2011 08:51 AM
Robert,

As a novice in this area it certainly looks like a nice authentic Junckers badge. Maker's markings, weep-hole and quality all point to original, for me that is ...

However, it wouldn't surprise me if a trained-eye could pick out some flaws and/or red flags. There are just so many high-end reproductions in this area, I wouldn't want to choose one without some serious study and help.

Possibly someone with a lot more experience can tell us positively good or bad, and explain why?

Hope things turn out favorably for you.

Best!

Bill
Posted By: militarymania Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/25/2011 06:06 PM
Hi Bill,,,thanks for your reply,,I am not looking to purchase this,only posted to get opinions and comments so I could learn more about these badges;hopefully someone else who has great experience with these badges so all can become more knowledgeable,,,Robert
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/27/2011 06:10 AM
Quality is getting so good I am afraid of medals and badges If this is your area of interest please buy the books!I personally have been embarrassed by offering Items believed to be legit as trade material only to find out that they were fake!"This is a quality piece!"If I knew your name you sorry B****** I would post it here because you knew what you were doing.If you are still alive at the next SOS I will stop by just to complement you on your ethics!Sorry Guys,but they are waiting.... mad
Posted By: Geoff Ward Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/27/2011 07:02 AM
Gentlemen,Please forgive my rant.There are many Honest dealers around but my experiences with medals and badges has been Horrible.Anyone can make an honest mistake however,someone who passes a deliberate fake to recoup their money at the expense of a fellow collector or newbie to that collecting niche, is a piece of crap.It is a shame... (Shame on me, for not educating myself and trusting the "Mentor".Buy the books first!..Just a warning to be vigilant.

There are great folks on this forum who freely share their information. I am grateful for all who strive to offer their knowledge so freely and contribute to this wonderful endeavor,I hope together we can all continue to learn and help one-another
in our pursuit of history.This post in no way has any opinion as to the authenticity of the piece up for discussion,but is just my way of saying "Do your homework!" If you don't know..ASK!That is why the forum is here.Thanks for letting me "Vent"
HAPPY COLLECTING!

Geoff
Posted By: Stephane Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/28/2011 12:57 AM
Hello,

This badge is made by Juncker and marked with a half moon, the Royal Crown and "800" (indicating sliver content). This is a controversial set of markings. Most collectors believe that Juncker Prussian Pilot Badges found with a mark of the Royal Crown are not period pieces (1915-1920). The half moon and "800" silver content marks are acceptable, but no Juncker Pilot Badges coming from veteran source or groupings has ever had the Royal Crown mark.

Emedals.ca is a good source for imperial flight badges. Do a search with "Prussian Pilot" and look at the Juncker pieces. They have the half moon and the "800" markings but none of them is marked with the Royal Crown.
Posted By: militarymania Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/31/2011 07:38 AM
many thanks for taking the time to reply Stephane,,,I will check out the site you recommended...Robert
Posted By: JohnZ Re: Prussian Pilot's Badge - 10/31/2011 03:25 PM
Also, this site is a great one to ask questions about medals and awards:

http://www.germancombatawards.com/index.php?sid=

While focused on Third Reich, there are very many knowledgeable collectors who will answer your questions.

John
© Your new forums